Marina & the Diamonds (1 Viewer)

What the fuck are you on about? Pop music doesn't need to make excuses? By that logic Westlife are grand because it just pop music and doesn't need to make excuses?

What the fuck are you on about? Pop music doesn't need to make excuses?
By that logic Westlife are grand because it just pop music and doesn't need to make excuses?

They are grand. Doesn't mean I'm gonna listen to them or make them not rubbish.

I started this thread about a band/musician/artist/whatever that I like who happens to make pop music. If I start a thread about someone who isn't a pop singer I don't feel the need to justify why they're 'acceptable' to listen to either.

edit: oh, and if I start any thread about an artist it is of course ok to dislike them. I'd appreciate if you had some thought behind your reasoning and I felt I wasn't getting it in this thread (Shaney and egg_ and a few others not included with this). I overreacted in the heat of the moment though.

I am fairly removed from whats on the radio by virtue of not listenin to it at all, but that Owl City song is a gigantic hump of shite.

They are grand. Doesn't mean I'm gonna listen to them or make them not rubbish.

I started this thread about a band/musician/artist/whatever that I like who happens to make pop music. If I start a thread about someone who isn't a pop singer I don't feel the need to justify why they're 'acceptable' to listen to either.

It's not about the style of music really though this stuff just isn't very good, it also to me sounds contrived to sound a bit retro and indie to appeal and be acceptable to older music fans who'd think the likes of Westlife are rubbish. That's just my opinion though and your certainly welcome to listen to what you want and even get in a huff when the majority of people on a predominantly indie rock message board don't think the singer you like has any merit.

PS Owl City are great.

It's not about the style of music really though this stuff just isn't very good, it also to me sounds contrived to sound a bit retro and indie to appeal and be acceptable to older music fans who'd think the likes of Westlife are rubbish. That's just my opinion though and your certainly welcome to listen to what you want and even get in a huff when the majority of people on a predominantly indie rock message board don't think the singer you like has any merit.

nono, you think it sounds contrived, fair enough, at least you gave a reason. I don't crash threads about bands I don't think are that good, like say the recent Dinosaur Jr. thread, with an immediate 'terrible, terrible music' that just demonstrates my complete ignorance (and, well, rudeness. but, I guess thumped is for pricks afterall.....)

I am fairly removed from whats on the radio by virtue of not listenin to it at all, but that Owl City song is a gigantic hump of shite.

agreed, save it for the owl city thread though

But Dinosaur Jr are an indie rock band. Take for instance if I started a Dinosaur Jr thread on a predominantly pop board I'd expect a lot of people jumping in and saying they're shite with no reason given so I wouldn't spit the dummy like you have in this thread. Do you not see that?

But Dinosaur Jr are an indie rock band. Take for instance if I started a Dinosaur Jr thread on a predominantly pop board I'd expect a lot of people jumping in and saying they're shite with no reason given so I wouldn't spit the dummy like you have in this thread. Do you not see that?

I wouldn't find it acceptable there either. People shouldn't be so fucking ignorant.

I think the point was to start new threads that promote discussion since this place was/is dying a very slow death. "That sucks" doesn't really promote much discourse.

There was one of Marina's songs I liked... That Mowgli's Road song was kind of interesting. My problem is more with the voice than anything else. I like the Kate Bush bits but that's about it. I'm not a fan of many female vocalist, Kate Bush, I can handle in small doses but many just drive me up a wall. That's just me though. I recently come around to Fiona Apple, which is odd for me. I was pointed out some song by John to take into consideration. Not bad. I don't listen to the radio so I wouldn't really be aware of what's going on with mainstream pop music. I'd only know of those indie/pop artists. I would have put Marina in that category but maybe I'm wrong? She is more of a Lady Ga Ga/Westlife?

i'd have thought nobody really gave a shit about distinctions like that anymore though. does anybody really sign up to a different board for each different style of music they like? of course they dont!

i'd have thought nobody really gave a shit about distinctions like that anymore though. does anybody really sign up to a different board for each different style of music they like? of course they dont!

I do.

As an aside of the things I reckon has resulted in thumped suffering of late is the whole lifestyle board getting more attention and perhaps becoming more important than the music section(s).

I didn't know Marina was "pop" until this thread. Nialler9 had her on his blog, I thought that meant she was cool

I first came across her on 'the horn for' thread

(that's right you heard me)

I just assumed she would be a big hit with thumped and was surprised at the amount of people who dont like her. What next , people dissing Zooey Descahnel?

does anyone else get the sparks vibe off this stuff? i mostly get it from the high/low melodies and the simplistic pianos.

marina could be good as a gateway drug to aparks.

I do.

As an aside of the things I reckon has resulted in thumped suffering of late is the whole lifestyle board getting more attention and perhaps becoming more important than the music section(s).

Why would somebody posting a thread about a musician they like have anything to do with the Lifestyle board or non-music threads?
People post about every kind of music under the sun on Thumped. Sure, its core constituency is, broadly-speaking, indie rock fans but when has this ever stopped people posting about folk or various ethnic musics or obscure dance sub-genres or, heaven help us, commercial pop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back