The bands that got away… (1 Viewer)

Ditto about the mam business. Country boys didn't get the same privileges as city boys...but you are a Dub so that is surprising.

Some twats from my primary school went to that outdoor Radiohead thing in Galway 96. I was proper raging. One year later - still no go with this gig going business...

What the fuck did parents think happened at these gigs? It was just a bit of rocking out.

Ditto about Soundgarden who really caught my imagination around the fifth class age....I was under the impression there was only one Sunstroke - Sunstroke 95.
There was 3 sunstrokes. The FNM one, a RHCP one and then the Soundgarden one in the RDS.

My first gig was Suzanne Vega in the national stadium. Myself and my friend went and we were 13 but we had to be accompanied by my big sister who thought it was shite. Me and my friend were enraptured throughout. The sister tried to get us out before the encore as we didn't know about encores but we were still in the room when Suzanne came back. We were allowed go to crowded house by ourselves two years later

Yeah, I wasn't impressed either. My main memory is that it was extremely hot, which was apt considering the name.

Still have the ticket and flyer. View attachment 17612
Y
Did rhcp not cancel and fnm took their place?

Or maybe rhcp did the following one?
Yes RCHP cancelled in 1993 (see the flyers posted previously) and FNM replaced them.

My guess is there was 10,000 or so at Sunstroke 1993. Boiling warm day.
Easy to get tickets outside. You had to be 14 to get in but under 18s made up most of the crowd. Hardly anyone there aged over 25.
Also tickets didn't have Sunstroke printed on them - it was only dubbed that after they had been on sale for a while.

My brothers were at that. Apparently the set was mainly new stuff from Experimental Jet Set which didn’t come for another year or so. They were underwhelmed
SY, who I completely lost interest in shortly afterwards, opened up their set in June 1993 with Cotton Krown and also Kim sang another song off EVOL.
After that they played the best known songs off Dirty and few new songs like 'Mind of the Bourgeois Reader' and a tune where Thurston sang "I bought your album and it sucks".
They played at least three new songs.

there was a pretty lengthy Eirecore thread (328 posts) from 2004 called -
''What was the first gig you ever went to?''
about 10 people picked the same gig as me.
Sunstroke 93 @ Dalymount w/ FNM, SONIC YOUTH, SUGAR, DISPOSABLE HEROES OF HIPHOPRISY, BELLY.
first Irish big outdoor gig I can remember than was all 'alternative' bands. went to see SY and Bob Mould.
Got Tanya Donnelly of Belly to sign my birth cert at that gig, which I think now is probably illegal, defacement of government doc etc

They had a 10" first,then two LP's,a few 7" in there too
I consider the 10" an LP too, so I always reckon JOA had 3 LPs.

Madly, they actually have 5 really.They'd recorded another albums worth of songs at the timewith Albini that they hadn't time to mix with him. They eventually did mix them, and I think it's actually a better LP than Distant Hearts, but to this day still not released.

AND before they vanished they recorded the guts of a final double LP with Alan O'Boyle that's still languishing on a hard drive somewhere. Cry.

SY, who I completely lost interest in shortly afterwards, opened up their set in June 1993 with Cotton Krown and also Kim sang another song off EVOL.
After that they played the best known songs off Dirty and few new songs like 'Mind of the Bourgeois Reader' and a tune where Thurston sang "I bought your album and it sucks".
They played at least three new songs.
SY set list from Sunstroke, Dalymount, June 1993.
Sorry - my memory let me down a bit...

I looked at the profile of one of the people who said they were there and realised it was a lad from my village that I didn't know back then. He died a couple of years ago.
His brother in his eulogy mentioned 90's concerts he had been to and they were all on the list.
RIP.

I missed out on seeing the pixies in their prime.
Saw them twice since the reunion.
They have been phoning it in since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back