Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
4.20 star(s) Rating: 4.20/5 5 Votes
Title: In Rainbows
Artist: Radiohead
Released: 2007

Tracks:
1 - 15 Step - 3:58
2 - Bodysnatchers - 4:02
3 - Nude - 4:15
4 - Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - 5:18
5 - All I Need - 3:48
6 - Faust Arp - 2:09
7 - Reckoner - 4:50
8 - House of Cards - 5:28
9 - Jigsaw Falling Into Place - 4:08
10 - Videotape - 4:41

Overview:
In Rainbows is the seventh studio album by the English alternative rock band Radiohead. It was self-released on 10 October 2007 as a download via a pay-what-you-want model, followed by a standard CD release in most countries in the last week of 2007. The album was released in North America on 1 January 2008 on TBD Records. In Rainbows was Radiohead's first release after the end of their contract with EMI and the end of the longest gap between studio albums in their career.

Recording with producer Nigel Godrich, Radiohead worked on In Rainbows for more than two years, beginning in early 2005. In between recording, the band toured Europe and North America for three months in mid-2006. The songwriting on In Rainbows was more personal than other Radiohead albums, with singer Thom Yorke describing most tracks as his versions of "seduction songs". Radiohead incorporated a wide variety of musical styles and instruments, using not only electronic music and string arrangements, but also pianos, celestes, and the ondes Martenot.

Upon its retail release, In Rainbows entered the UK Albums Chart and the US Billboard 200 at number one; by October 2008, it had sold more than three million copies worldwide in both digital and physical formats. The album earned widespread critical acclaim and was ranked as one of the best albums of 2007 by several publications. In 2009, it won two Grammy Awards for Best Alternative Music Album and Best Special Limited Edition Package.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I listened to this one a good bit lately, it must have been the new album that brought it on. I thought it was deadly initially but I'm not sure about it anymore, I'll have to see what you lads think. I love the massed chiming guitars on Weird Fishes

I know I like this album. I'm pretty sure of it. My problem is that I scan the tracklisting and I can't place a single song. I know I'll recognise them when I hear them but I've have a problem with this era of radiohead (post Amnesiac) where I sometimes struggle to distinguish one album from the other. I've always meant to make time to actually get my head properly around each album. Now's probably as good a time as any.

There aren't any singles for reference here either.

This will be interesting.

I'm enjoying this so far. Actually...hang on...onto Nude now. This one sounds a bit boring. I gave up on Radiohead after Amnesiac and never gave anything after that more than one listen.

It is very very good. Possibly because how it came from nowhere I don't feel like it has ever dated or had a date. Easily on a par with OK Computer.

I'm sure someone could write an interesting piece on Radiohead around the subject of them being a hugely popular and innovative band from a time before the internet took over and we still read Melody Maker and listened to the Evening Session to today's landscape.

I can still remember the massive build up in print media to the Kid A release and the excitement of going to buy that album on the day. The contrast from that to the release of this album was remarkable.

Hail to the thief was the first Radiohead record that caught my attention, I'd completely (and certainly unfairly) dismissed them before that. But about half of 'Hail' is a phenomenal demonstration of a rock band at their peak, so when the In Rainbows surprise drop happened about 6 months later I was giddy for it, and totally fell for the expensive box set.

The record is brilliant throughout, no faff, just an exercise in streamlined, exciting and inventive song craft. Their absolute peak, as far as I'm concerned.

I was reading last night that it took them two years to make yet it sounds like one of those albums that was written and recorded really quickly and released knowingly as a an album of bare bones, not-too-thought-out rough and ready kinda songs. But it seems it wasn't that at all. Either way, I listened again last night and it's back in the good books.

I've never heard a radiohead album so this for me too will be a fresh experience.

I think many people are put off straight away by the early tracks on the album, with their unusual chord changes etc. But after a few listens they fall into place.

Side B (or the later tracks on the cd) is more accessible. The following triple play is sublime.

Reckoner
House of Cards
Jigsaw Falling into Place

A band at the top of their game.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back