The bands that got away… (2 Viewers)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Who have you nearly seen and regret missing?

(inspired by me listening to X-TG’s Desertshore cover album. I had tickets for ATP in 2010(?) when Godspeed You! Black Emperor reformed. Throbbing Gristle were due to play, then Genesis P-Orridge left and they changed their name to X-TG and started doing completely improvised sets. I was sad about missing TG but X-TG live bootlegs sounded PHENOMENAL. Then a few weeks before ATP Sleazy passed away and X-TG were no more. Then the big snow hit and I missed ATP entirely.)

Kinda related - Coil in Dublin in 2004. I went to see Fursaxa and Christina Carter in the Limerick Boat Club instead and figured I'd see Coil again. But Coil were well past it by then so I don't lose sleep over it.

Kinda related - Coil in Dublin in 2004. I went to see Fursaxa and Christina Carter in the Limerick Boat Club instead and figured I'd see Coil again. But Coil were well past it by then so I don't lose sleep over it.
I hate to break it to you but that was one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.

I didn't go to Nirvana/Sonic Youth in Sir Henry's because I was starting my first ever job the following morning and didn't trust myself not to get hammered.

Nasum supporting The Dillinger Escape Plan in Eamonn Doran’s. Had a ticket but skipped it as I had an exam the next day. Then two-and-a-half years later, Mieszko died in the tsunami.

Also I missed Sonic Youth at the Red Box (or whatever it was called then) on their final swing here. But I think it was kind of pricey which put me off. Ditto Devo in Vicar Street (a friend went and loved it; should’ve asked him to buy me an energy dome).

I missed Motorhead because they were playing in the afternoon, but I had to make sure not to miss Black Sabbath. I figured I'd see Lemmy at some other time as he's indestructible, whereas I'd better make sure to catch Ozzy. Got that wrong.

Not really the same, but Pantera were scheduled for September 13th 2001. So that gig never happened. Even my dad felt bad for me not getting the chance to go to that, though it's a gig that never happened.

Wanted to see thin Lizzy on the final.tour... but I was 11. Never got to see Gary Moore when he played Belfast but I maybe was too young to be aware when he did.

Asked mates who was Rory Gallagher and they said he was shit. ( Mates? Yeah right !!!)

Wanted to go see Rush but not working and couldn't afford it.

Sex Pistols got banned on the reunion in the 90's

And Kiss original lineup got cancelled.

Showed up at a Donna's gig in Chicago to find it cancelled.

Same trip the flight there was delayed landing for about 6hrs so I missed Japanese hardcore band Exclaim!

Went to liverpool to see Into Another and they didn't get in to the country,got rescheduled for a couple of weeks later and I couldn't go.

Oh!!!!!

Lots of gigs I never heard about until after the fact.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five played about ten minutes down the road from me a few years ago. I found out about that months after the fact. Hadn't heard a thing about it.

Luckily for me there's been nothing I would have been too excited about. But certainly shit loads I would have went to.

I didn't go to Nirvana/Sonic Youth in Sir Henry's because I was starting my first ever job the following morning and didn't trust myself not to get hammered.

I know someone who was *in the venue* and managed to miss the gig, at least according to his telling of it. most likely because he was busy being mister smooth talk with a lady at the bar

Had a lovely chat with a lad. Apparently he DJ'd and I missed it. But he is apparently some super duper DJ who's from actual shanty town Soweto.

I don't see it, he did bum a cigarette I guess. But it was odd drinking with him and one the members of Alabama 3 while we're surrounded by drunk and high kids. Like, the kids don't get the struggle, and this guy has had some considerable struggle. Beautiful as the kids were. Odd night.

Edit: he had a circumspect view of the other DJ's music, which makes me intregued to know what he played.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back