record sniffing, the ones that got away.... (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
this has been spurred by the death of Mr. Bowie, and a post I saw on facebook about how record shops are putting up 2nd hand LP prices to match ebay..

are there any particular tales of amazing stuff that you let slip away out of ignorance/timing/bad luck? (please feel free to include tales of guitars, lovers, cars and cats).

- when I was 15/16 and on one of the country boy up in the city with £50 burning a hole in his pocket to buy records trip, I let pass pretty much all of bowies early 70's back catalog (hunky dory, ziggy, aladin and pinups - all orange RCA) in a charity shop, and bought Images instead. thats right, fucking images. In fairness, I had no older siblings or cousins, and was a social outcast, so my knowledge of music beyond a few bands was fairly limited. I think I bought it because it was a double lp and liked the sleeve.
- at an auction with my dad a good 10 years later. we arrived late and after the auction I was rooting through the unsold stuff and found a box of LP's - mostly 70's 'classic' rock. zep, bowie, sabbath, queen, and the only original t-rex electric warrior Ive ever seen in the flesh. reserve on it was 10 euro. 10 euro. It was only on the way home that my dad told me that at the end of the auction you can make a direct offer on the unsold stuff to the auctioneer.
- outside a place I used to live a skip appeared one day, into which was thrown about 40LPs - mainly 80's synth pop. Pile of new order as well. I just pulled a copy of 'st pepper', soft cell's 'non-stop erotic cabaret', and a MFP collection of well known western themes. In my defense I was blindingly hungover. by the end of the day they were all snaffled.

this could also be taken as #123 in Raz's life of regrets (#1-#120,000)

bastro - sing the troubled beast l.p. 2nd hand in freebird eden quay. c.1995. killing time en route to the airport so it would've been tricky to bring it on holidays but they might've kept it behind the counter til i got back. now i'm stuck with an inferior-sounding c.d.

learned my lesson though - can't think of another since. if i've passed on something since then, there's been a reason other than "logistics".

Been buying records long enough to have missed tons of stuff I now like without realising. But the only real knowing regret is one time in London seeing a Leathur press of the first Motley Crue lp for £6. I held it for a minute or two debating and put it back,don't even remember what I bought instead.

Shame to let this thread drop off. Only started buying vinyl around 2005 when I made the investment of a half decent set up to play records on. Basically my music buying life is broken down to over ten years worth of cds and ten of vinyl. Anyways, used to still flip through records even though I had no intention of buying them back in the day. Leeside music on McCurtain street in cork used to have a bunch of records with ridiculously cheap prices. Remember seeing a bunch of Sabbath vertigo swirls for something along the lines of 5 pounds a piece. Having recently bought few album of theirs on cd at the time that cost about 15 probably, it grabbed my attention more so. To be able to go back in time and see what was going for ridiculously cheap prices still eats me up inside a little

Last edited:
Shame to let this thread drop off. Only started buying vinyl around 2005 when I made the investment of a half decent set up to play records on. Basically my music buying life is broken down to over ten years worth of cds and ten of vinyl. Anyways, used to still flip through records even though I had no intention of buying them back in the day. Leeside music on McCurtain street in cork used to have a bunch of records with ridiculously cheap prices. Remember seeing a bunch of Sabbath vertigo swirls for something along the lines of 5 pounds a piece. Having recently bought few album of theirs on cd at the time that cost about 15 probably, it grabbed my attention more so. To be able to go back in time and see what was going for ridiculously cheap prices still eats me up inside a little

yeah - even in dublin you'd rarely pay more than £7-9 for something that wasnt super rare. the main reason I started buying records in the first place was that even new pressings were cheaper than the equivalent CDs!

A minor niggle

A couple of years ago I found a Stump 12" in one of the charity shops in town. I think it had Charlton Heston on it but I can't find it online. Anyway I hummed an haahed about it and ultimately decided although it'd be nice to have I'd never listen to it.

I even went back a coupe of times to see if I'd changed my mind until finally I went back and it was gone.

Still bugs me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back