Smokers (2 Viewers)

I used to (25 years ago or more) do some minor IT support for a friend's mother who ran a business from the converted garage on her house. She and her one employee were both smokers; it was disgusting how much everything became tobacco stained. The phones were caked with tobacco stained makeup.

I have to admit, it is gross.
When I worked in one of the psychiatric hospitals, I was sent out to these houses where patients lived. They needed care, but were able to live almost independently.

Our job was to paint the walls. But first we had to clean the walls.
After we'd thrown the last of the horrible browny-yellow cleaning rags in the bin the boss came in and decided we didn't need to paint the rooms at all. They just looked terrible because everything was thickly coated in nicotine.

I have to admit, it is gross.
When I worked in one of the psychiatric hospitals, I was sent out to these houses where patients lived. They needed care, but were able to live almost independently.

Our job was to paint the walls. But first we had to clean the walls.
After we'd thrown the last of the horrible browny-yellow cleaning rags in the bin the boss came in and decided we didn't need to paint the rooms at all. They just looked terrible because everything was thickly coated in nicotine.
The walls (and ceiling and everything else) of the old Fggy Dew were held up by the nicotine

i was browsing a thread on boards recently - a chap who had recently bought a secondhand car from a dealer; when he bought it it smelled freshly valeted inside, but that quickly faded to a stench of stale smoke. dealer didn't want to know; other posters were saying the best or only way was an ozone treatment.

The smell of cigarettes is awful but the smell of stale smoke is one of the worst smells. I have worked cleaning up rat shit, sifting through human remains, and with countless pungent chemicals and I’d take all of that over stinking of smoke.

The smell of cigarettes is awful but the smell of stale smoke is one of the worst smells. I have worked cleaning up rat shit, sifting through human remains, and with countless pungent chemicals and I’d take all of that over stinking of smoke.

Occasionally I do work in waste water treatment plants riddled with human effluence / ecoli and everything and id take the stink of old smokes any day over it

Occasionally I do work in waste water treatment plants riddled with human effluence / ecoli and everything and id take the stink of old smokes any day over it
I think that’s fair, I had to clear a failed freezer out of brain samples and animal cadavers that had been unknowingly left to rot for a month and that was simply the worst thing I’ve ever smelled and will ever smell. So I would revise my statement and say that stale smoke is the second worst smell.

I got that but what was the job that you were sifting through dead bodies?
Not through full dead bodies, just brains. I'm not a maniac.

Isn't smell one of the biggest memory triggers, or am i reading the wrong insta stories again
It's certainly a trigger but I'm in two minds about this. The olfactory and emotional/memory hardware in the brain are right beside each other but that doesn't necessarily meant they interact more than other parts of the brain that are further away (your retinas are on the front of your head but your visual cortex is at the back of your head, for example).

There's a lot of anecdotal/experiential stuff out there (hi Proust!) but I think there's probably a lot of individual differences out there. The studies that are done are not the best designed in my opinion to really capture it, they largely fail to incorporate the cross activation that happens between sensory modalities (like I recently saw a photo of a pack of trading cards from my youth and I instantly had the memory of the odour of the new cards come to mind, I'm not sure it would go the other way with the odour triggering the visual memory). They also tend to be tasks where you pair a new scent with a new memory, as opposed looking at the power/significance of the memory being triggered (your first lover's perfume is a lot stronger than that perfume being associated with a green circle in a lab).

So, yeah, maybe? Maybe not?

Not through full dead bodies, just brains. I'm not a maniac.

It's certainly a trigger but I'm in two minds about this. The olfactory and emotional/memory hardware in the brain are right beside each other but that doesn't necessarily meant they interact more than other parts of the brain that are further away (your retinas are on the front of your head but your visual cortex is at the back of your head, for example).

There's a lot of anecdotal/experiential stuff out there (hi Proust!) but I think there's probably a lot of individual differences out there. The studies that are done are not the best designed in my opinion to really capture it, they largely fail to incorporate the cross activation that happens between sensory modalities (like I recently saw a photo of a pack of trading cards from my youth and I instantly had the memory of the odour of the new cards come to mind, I'm not sure it would go the other way with the odour triggering the visual memory). They also tend to be tasks where you pair a new scent with a new memory, as opposed looking at the power/significance of the memory being triggered (your first lover's perfume is a lot stronger than that perfume being associated with a green circle in a lab).

So, yeah, maybe? Maybe not?
Love this and I'm jealous my brain is not clever enough to grasp the study of it. I had to dissect a sheep brain (among other organs) during Covid when I took an animal care course. Fascinating. I hadn't taken biology in 30 years and I was totally hooked.

Love this and I'm jealous my brain is not clever enough to grasp the study of it. I had to dissect a sheep brain (among other organs) during Covid when I took an animal care course. Fascinating. I hadn't taken biology in 30 years and I was totally hooked.
If you’re at the dissecting stage you’ve probably not taken very good care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back