Heat (1 Viewer)

Still another 2 weeks or so before I can walk around in the pollen before 10am and after 3pm.

Love the summer.

Did you purposely take the most physically difficult job you could find just to impress your uncles?
Firstly, narrative voice. The guy talks in run on sentences that last for minutes, so I'm trying to tap into that for a rant novel. He's a natural storyteller and he gives you good insights into the grotesquery of rural Ireland. He popped in this morning and divulged details of coming home from Westmeath Kildare at Croke Park... about ten nuggets at least all of which happened when he was back in Mullingar. He also mythologizes his past Streets of Crocodile style with a natural talent for hyperbole.

Secondly, he pays cash in hand.

Not interested in impressing him at all. It's always best to surf family matters as much as possible.
i never cut turf, but i did work during a bit of a heatwave in (paradoxically) an ice cream factory when i was 16, which was sweaty greasy work. i did get to go home most fridays with 16l of ice cream.
Worked on an "ice-trike" the summer of 2009 in Portland, Oregon. Nice job cycling around a city, keeps you fit. The job itself involved a lot of hustle and luck. I remember cycling downhill on a slow day with an ice-cream in my mouth and someone shouting at me, "don't be dippin' into your own stash, man." Had six cans of Olympia beer every evening without fail. Refused to tip in the neightbourhood hipster bar and was often left waiting ten minutes or more for a pitcher.

My uncle cut the turf this year withs the wheels of an old pram.

But hey there's a lack physically skilled people in the world today, especially here since Thatcherism and more recently Brexit. So while I'm "unskilled" as such, covid has made people see that unskilled people are actually important. Pandem Mandem!
I'm trying to get on an apprenticeship before September. Fucked up the Iarnrod Eireann apprenticeship tests... but have a preamble for an interview this week at another thing...Wouldn't be qualified until the age of 41 or 42 though. Logically makes more sense than dropping 10,000 eu on another Masters though, or waiting around for the civil service.

Re-reading my own post, it was a bit gibberishy.There's huge scope for people with real physical skills. Over here, a lot of those guys were Eastern European. A lot of them were not very good. And a lot of them have fecked off.

But that's painting, chippying ( I have all the respect in the world for painters and chippies myself, but this lot is used to cheap and quick rather than cheap and good, or good and quick. We're crying out for welders over here. Like, literally, if you can plate a compound curve, that's a job for life.

Last edited:
Boats in the water maybe. If I'd gone in today I'd be humping steel, cutting steel, he'd be welding. Maybe some painting with highly toxic and flammable paint. (Actually it's hot enough now that some of that stuff spontaneously combusting is actually a real issue).

There's no chilling out using the Thames as a heat sink. There's just hours of sitting there, looking for shade and water, exhaling heavily and going "fuck this shit".
Sounds like the kind of thing anyone moving to England should expect really

I spent a lot of Saturday hoofing shit around in the sun, and I spent 8 hours today hoofing loads of heavy shit around in the sun. Fuckin horrible heat shit.
But yeah today there was a 'new lad' doing this job moving shit with us, and fuck me was he useless. May as well have just been 3 instead of 4 of us.

fat-dodgers-fan-sunbathing.png

I spent a lot of Saturday hoofing shit around in the sun, and I spent 8 hours today hoofing loads of heavy shit around in the sun. Fuckin horrible heat shit.
But yeah today there was a 'new lad' doing this job moving shit with us, and fuck me was he useless. May as well have just been 3 instead of 4 of us.

Weekend work available? I'm moving back to Dublin in two weeks.

Anyone work for any of those bin companies? Another job I want to get in on. I'd say the hours are sweet af.

Half considering an apprenticeship myself these days. This ludicrous job I have now is a waste of humanity. Whatchu doing @Nate Champion ?
Won't say it until I know it's in the bag.. or I feel it's half in there. Safest bet is probably being a plumber. What's that movie where Nick Nolte plays a plumber and he seduces Lara Flynn Boyle? The answer is Afterglow. It's great. That's what I expect plumbing is like: Lots of daytime riding.

Yeah, fuck. Having a MA in Literature and being an ancient cunt is really going to go against me... jesus, the profiling on these things cripes.

On useless jobs, that bit where the protagonist in Ragged Trousers Philanthropists is lecturing his colleagues [again], and he talks about how most people employed in cities/modern life are doing useless, unskilled, un-necessary work... jesus, fuckin' Christ how many un-necessary office/clerical/business/whatever jobs are there now??
We're crying out for welders over here. Like, literally, if you can plate a compound curve, that's a job for life.
Welding is a highly skilled one though. I think you have to be good at measuring and sizing things up... they're sort of like unglorified engineers. I'd say you need to have the maths and the physics... At least that's what everyone says the top welder around here should have been - an engineer. My uncle says he measures a piece one time and one time only, and he never needs to check it again. My mother taught the same lad and said he was one of the brightest students she ever had.... advanced for his age at maths etc.

Last edited:
I've just got bits and pieces of work in the last few weeks, before that was absolutely fuck all
Grand, be in Dublin properly from the 5th of August, but before if there's work going.

Is it a zero hour thing?

What's the deal with the bin companies? It's all privatised these days, no? Not asking just you, but anyone got any insider info on this? My feeling is its all a little The Wire season 2, and you gotta know x family who saw an opening in the market and moved in to colonize said market.

You can trace my history on one side back 400-500 years or so as Coopers. Can I make barrels? Well i've never tried but I assume so, yes.

You can trace my history on one side back 400-500 years or so as Coopers. Can I make barrels? Well i've never tried but I assume so, yes.
Yeah but I actually worked in the business for a few summers so I know I’m shite at it despite their best efforts. And most of my cousins have worked their too and we’re grand, most got a few years proper work at least out of it. Two of them are career welders now.

My name translates as "son of the wealthy warrior/ paid soldier/ mercenary"

Am I any good at soldiering?

Probably.

If you pay me enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back