Heat (1 Viewer)

i never cut turf, but i did work during a bit of a heatwave in (paradoxically) an ice cream factory when i was 16, which was sweaty greasy work. i did get to go home most fridays with 16l of ice cream.

Did you purposely take the most physically difficult job you could find just to impress your uncles?

Are you asking me?

The answer is possibly. Being rubbish at farming and sports and fighting, and being a bit more erudite (but not smarter) than those around me growing up, there probably is a bit of a complex going on.

But really I took the job because there's a pandemic, and there was a job, and someone asked me to do it. And he pays me. So here I am.

Are you asking me?

The answer is possibly. Being rubbish at farming and sports and fighting, and being a bit more erudite (but not smarter) than those around me growing up, there probably is a bit of a complex going on.

But really I took the job because there's a pandemic, and there was a job, and someone asked me to do it. And he pays me. So here I am.
Did it work though? Totally worth it if it did. I will never impress my uncles as long as I live.

Also, i didn't realize this as a pandemic thing @seanc. Your job just always reads like really physically hard work, I wouldn't be able.

Maybe some painting with highly toxic and flammable paint. (Actually it's hot enough now that some of that stuff spontaneously combusting is actually a real issue).
out of curiosity, what's in the paint?
i do use linseed oil (only a little at a time mind, on woodturned pieces) and am obviously cognisant that the rags have a known tendency to combust as the oil cures)

i do use linseed oil (only a little at a time mind, on woodturned pieces) and am obviously cognisant that the rags have a known tendency to combust as the oil cures)

I have used linseed oil as well. Beautiful stuff, polished up the turds of my work quite well.

Jotun is the brand.
I started listing them, but there's about 8 different paints used so I deleted all that. Some of them also require hardeners, all of them require different thinners. All of it is inflammable. So altogether there's about 16 cans of shit that might go boom at any moment on a day like today. Jotunfloor and Jotun Aluminium paint are particularly odd. Paint made of aluminium, to act as a cathode, wtaf?

i have some two stage epoxy here too and the safety warnings are very sturm und drang. i try to avoid epoxy, cos i like throwing the shavings out in the garden to rot down.

Did it work though? Totally worth it if it did. I will never impress my uncles as long as I live.
Well they definitely don't look at me as the scrawny awkward nerd who sprinted out of town 20 years ago. So they're happy for that, in a manly-man kind of way. I think they'd have preferred if I did an office job. That's why their generation worked hard, to send people like me to college.

I don't know what your situation is with your uncles.

But hey there's a lack physically skilled people in the world today, especially here since Thatcherism and more recently Brexit. So while I'm "unskilled" as such, covid has made people see that unskilled people are actually important. Pandem Mandem!

is that not danish oil (which contains linseed oil) rather than proper honest to god linseed oil?

danish oil is ok as long as you lay the cloths out flat to dry - the drying/polymerisation process releases heat which is just want you want in a balled up rag full of solvent

is 'close' a peculiarly irish term? or is that used in england too?
I've always assumed it was a regional term unique to the Midlands...but came across it in an American novel set in the Wild West recently.. could have had some legs once upon a time over there - "sure is mighty close today"etc - but died out as a term.

The sun/heat is close, on top of you, it's close to you, that bastard heat is close to me, my clothes are stuck to me...maybe I'm way off.

is that not danish oil (which contains linseed oil) rather than proper honest to god linseed oil?

danish oil is ok as long as you lay the cloths out flat to dry - the drying/polymerisation process releases heat which is just want you want in a balled up rag full of solvent
linseed oil does it too.

Judging by how busy the forum is today, I assume lots of you have decided to go into work and then do feck all. Maybe I've missed a trick.

It's too hot though, it is.

Just went for a stroll. Ended up sitting on a wall outside a council estate, in the shade with a Calippo and a bottle of water. Both the dodgy locals and the police were eyeing me up, but then saw the state of me and left me alone. I sat on that wall until the worst of the midday sun had passed, but then the concrete of the footpath starts releasing it's heat. should've just stayed at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back