Heat (3 Viewers)

Was I up a ladder painting the outside of my house between the hours of 9pm and 10:30pm on the hottest day of the year?

Of course not. that would be insane.

is 'close' a peculiarly irish term? or is that used in england too?

I think it's particularly Irish. Also generational. I never knowingly heard that expression until I was in my 20's. As in, I'm sure it was said when I was young, but like so many things, I didn't know what it meant.

barely made it back from (German Supermarkt). It's only a few minutes walk. It's at that temp where you think "I can handle this", until you realise you can't.

It's 30.0 celcius at Silverstone right now according to the radio, which should make the end of the F1 less boring.

Was I up a ladder painting the outside of my house between the hours of 9pm and 10:30pm on the hottest day of the year?

Of course not. that would be insane.
I repainted our (white) sills a few weeks ago at noon in the last hot spell- blazing sunshine on a south facing house. I was snow blind for the rest of the day

FUCKING ROOOOOASHTIN LADS. FUCKIN... ROASHTIN Like.

would yis fuck off.. .it's fucking grand, not like in the US, not like what I've been through, you don't get it... yis saps

:have a bit of a wander about, put the lizard out in the back garden and come back half an hour later to find her sheltering in the shade:

oh.. huh. Warm enough alright isn't it. Huh.

Judgy attitude: withheld.

Went to the bog with my uncle Friday and Saturday. I like hard work, but bagging turf in that heat... wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for my uncle crowing about how it was fine and how we wouldn't have done much more if it wasn't hot; wasp or cleg all over me the whole three fucking hours...he's one of these boastful alpha males who turns everything he does into an instance of crowing, crowning self-congratulation even over the simplest things... got stung by nettles putting on the trailer the next day, he says that's nothing nettles wouldn't bother me... do your head in, but gives you the skinny on all the local gossip in the jeep going down so it all balances out [irritation vs entertainment]. I was sure he'd take me to Ballymahon after to back a few horses but it never happened - would have been a great day for it hot and desperate sweating it out in the bookies.

Today then tidying the corners of the rows of hays with a grape fork for the square bailer...sun was baking me chasing the bailer around the field. Oof. Draining.

Re on shorts: I've been knocking around most of the last two months in a pair of Ellesse swimming shorts I got when I was about thirteen or fourteen.

Can I nominate your uncle for the "I hate this guy" thread

I hated the bog. My Dad would have us up at dawn and it was "go! go! go!" until dinnertime, 12 hours later. Backbreaking work in the searing heat, only stopping for half an hour to eat our tongue sandwiches. And yes, the biting insects.

Years later my brother was asked to help someone out for a day at the bog. He couldn't believe it when the guys rolled up around ten, spent a couple of leisurely hours doing bog stuff, then declared that's enough for one day and went home.

Can I nominate your uncle for the "I hate this guy" thread

I hated the bog. My Dad would have us up at dawn and it was "go! go! go!" until dinnertime, 12 hours later. Backbreaking work in the searing heat, only stopping for half an hour to eat our tongue sandwiches. And yes, the biting insects.

Years later my brother was asked to help someone out for a day at the bog. He couldn't believe it when the guys rolled up around ten, spent a couple of leisurely hours doing bog stuff, then declared that's enough for one day and went home.

bog work and picking stones.

sweating in wellies, and getting stung by ants.

idyllic rural childhood shite there for sure..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back