Heat (3 Viewers)

The source is still vibrating at whatever frequency it's vibrating at.

ok - got it, no change at source..

but if it can propagate through the medium (air), faster in condition A rather than condition B would that result in a relative change of pitch to an observer particular point of distance?

or is it as case of reduced signal decay in hotter conditions rather than colder conditions?

(not a physicist - a lapsed research scientist of a different color)

but if it can propagate through the medium (air), faster in condition A rather than condition B would that result in a relative change of pitch to an observer particular point of distance?

or is it as case of reduced signal decay in hotter conditions rather than colder conditions?

(not a physicist - a lapsed research scientist of a different color)

It's a relationship between speed, frequency and wavelength.

the source is still producing one 'pulse' every 5 milliseconds say - so unless the source is actually moving towards the observer, in order for the pitch to go up, there would have to be more pulses produced per unit time, and in this instance there won't be.

I was curious - Mean we could be talking about 10 degrees in a winter shift, and 30 today, so the sound is hitting you faster by up to 12m/s

(Thats 43kmh faster)

View attachment 14999
Sound actually travels further at lower temperatures / at night.

molecules are small enough to vibrate more and transfer sound energy

go figure

*Kanyes up to the stage*
Yo, Thumped, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish but while these physical properties of vibrations are nice and all but sound only exists as a Bayesian confluence of percepts in a highly complex and dispersed network in the brain, filtered through a physiological transducer in the form of the ears and auditory system. Which are all also temperature-dependent.

*Kanyes up to the stage*
Yo, Thumped, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish but while these physical properties of vibrations are nice and all but sound only exists as a Bayesian confluence of percepts in a highly complex and dispersed network in the brain, filtered through a physiological transducer in the form of the ears and auditory system. Which are all also temperature-dependent.
ah yes, the gold standard

*Kanyes up to the stage*

Yes but how does a JCB percieve.

sound only exists as a Bayesian confluence of percepts in a highly complex and dispersed network in the brain, filtered through a physiological transducer in the form of the ears and auditory system
I'm starting to doubt this point of view, and suspect it might be a subtle form of human exceptionalism. If a tree falls in a forest it probably does make a sound. What happens when I hear the tree is matter (me) is affected by the movement of other matter (the tree). Why should the fact that the first piece of matter is a human make any difference to anything?

I'm starting to doubt this point of view, and suspect it might be a subtle form of human exceptionalism. If a tree falls in a forest it probably does make a sound. What happens when I hear the tree is matter (me) is affected by the movement of other matter (the tree). Why should the fact that the first piece of matter is a human make any difference to anything?
Clearly we accept that sounds we don’t hear still exist but the concept of a sound can’t exist without a listener. We accept the idea of infra and ultrasonic sounds - we can’t hear them (maybe Prince can) but without the base idea of a sound, we cannot conceive of them.

Compare that to something that we only have a conceptual idea of, like a quark. We know they exist but we have no frame of reference for perceiving them. We also know vibrations exist but we do have a way of perceiving them, so pushing that to a sound without a human audience (but what about the animals in the forest?) or beyond our range of perception is not unreasonable.

the concept of a sound can’t exist without a listener
Yes, but the listener doesn't need to be human, maybe not even animal. "Human" and "animal" are just ideas too. We know from personal experience that stuff (us) can remotely perceive the movement of other stuff (not-us) via vibrations in a medium. Sound is just that from the inside

I think a JCB can percieve both through the hand controls of the operator and the resistance inputs from the crust of the earth. Sound would be very low on its sensory amplitude spectrum.

Yes, but the listener doesn't need to be human, maybe not even animal. "Human" and "animal" are just ideas too. We know from personal experience that stuff (us) can remotely perceive the movement of other stuff (not-us) via vibrations in a medium. Sound is just that from the inside
that’s still a level of anthropomorphism that you need to be careful with. Perceiving a vibration in a medium does not always equate with sound or hearing. You can feel a vibration in your fingertips and that is perceived in the brain very differently to a sound, even the sound of the thing vibrating (think about sitting in the car, the sensation of the engine and the road beneath the wheels is both a vibration and a sound with a common source and conceptual framework).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back