Zed FM to challenge Phantom licence ruling (1 Viewer)

CitySickness

Website
Visit site
15th March 2005 from the Irish Independent

Geldof firm wins right to challenge radio licence ruling

The Bob Geldof-backed company which failed to secure the licence to operate an alternative rock music radio station in the Dublin area yesterday got leave from the High Court to challenge the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland's (BCI) decision.

The BCI granted the contract to Phantom FM, which Mr Geldof's company alleged has a history of illegal broadcasting.

Mr Justice John McMenamin gave Scrollside Ltd, trading as ZED FM, leave to seek, by way of judicial review, an order quashing the BCI decision to award the licence to Dublin Rock Radio Ltd, trading as Phantom FM.

Brian O'Moore SC, for Scrollside Ltd, said the competition for the contract ultimately became a two-horse race between ZED FM and Phantom FM.

He claimed that Phantom FM had been operating in clear breach of broadcasting legislation between 1998 and 2003.

Mr O'Moore said his clients believed that throughout the entire selection process there seemed to have been an unfair bias for Phantom FM - that BCI was predisposed to that applicant even before the advert for the contest.

Counsel for ZED FM said that the preference shown to Phantom FM also resulted in the unfair granting of temporary licences by the BCI.

Mr O'Moore said his clients had only recently become aware of these irregularities which had the effect of tilting the playing field in favour of Phantom FM for the eventual licence in dispute.

Read about this earlier today alright,

sounds like sour grapes to me. Shouldn't Geldof be too busy off cursing at Tony Blair for a fiver? I for one am lookin forward to hearing whether phantom will offer;

a.) Advertisers some more revenue
b.) Local music some more support

really hoping it's the latter!

don't know why people can't buy a digital licence instead o the bci awarding them, and once everyone who wants a licence has one then let the laws of economics decide who lasts and who doesn't. Specially with digital radio coming in this would be the more logical way to go. Once licence holders paid x amount upfront to cover the royalties to artists then i can't see any reason why 100 stations couldn't co-exist

what i'm saying is if the licence holders put money upfront into an account administered by imro/bci or some indeendent body then there'd be no risk of royalties not being paid.

What an absolute cockfest! Why the fuck should anyone be allowed regulate radiowaves. The whole idea of it baffles me. May the biggest arial win I say.

CitySickness said:
Mr O'Moore said his clients had only recently become aware of these irregularities which had the effect of tilting the playing field in favour of Phantom FM for the eventual licence in dispute.

They've only just realised phantom was broadcasting illegally!! Where have they been for the past 7 years? They don't deserve a radio station if they're not going to pay attention!

selephonic said:
They've only just realised phantom was broadcasting illegally!! Where have they been for the past 7 years? They don't deserve a radio station if they're not going to pay attention!

Well, here's a thing: how many articles did Hot Press (Niall Stokes is one of the major shareholders in Zed FM, lest we forget) run on Phantom's (illegal) activities over the years? How quickly they forget...

CitySickness said:
Well, here's a thing: how many articles did Hot Press (Niall Stokes is one of the major shareholders in Zed FM, lest we forget) run on Phantom's (illegal) activities over the years? How quickly they forget...
i think niall stokes is actually taking a back seat on the whole ZEDFM appeal to concentrate on making Hot Press even shitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back