Farewell Phantom FM; welcome TXFM (1 Viewer)

I turned it straight off. Nothing I recognised, but then I'm out of the game a while.. it was the screechy kind?

Paul McCloone's show on a saturday evening is good. And I still like Kelly-Anne Byrne's show. Everything else blends into a big blur that I can't tell apart. I suppose they do give a bit of variety with their night-time shows but I rarely listen to the radio that late. It's a pity their morning/daytime stuff is so heavily playlisted - I'm sure those shows would be a lot better if the DJs were given more freedom to pick what they played.

I'm sure all radio shows would be better if they weren't so heavily playlisted. Main reason I haven't bothered with radio in years.

I'm sure all radio shows would be better if they weren't so heavily playlisted. Main reason I haven't bothered with radio in years.
I think you can tell quickly enough if the DJ is a music fan or not. If they are and they're not being given any real freedom to play what they want, then I wonder if its a case of the station bosses not trusting that they'll play stuff that won't lose them listeners? Or are they obliged to play certain songs a certain number of times (by IMRO, or whoever)?

I think you can tell quickly enough if the DJ is a music fan or not. If they are and they're not being given any real freedom to play what they want, then I wonder if its a case of the station bosses not trusting that they'll play stuff that won't lose them listeners? Or are they obliged to play certain songs a certain number of times (by IMRO, or whoever)?

Depending on the size of the station.

A large commercial, or any commercial of dublin size will be largely playlisted. These might be from meetings of DJ's or a supervisor. Some stations will recruit some DJ's if they've already made some tracks listing themselves. Community stations everyone plays what they want. Its all because advertising exists.

99% of commercial stations have music programmers who decide the playlists. Anything that isn't playlisted like djs who can choose what they play only happens at some stupid hour. Hiring DJs who have no interest in music is a symptom of this but sure it's all about ad sales with commercial stations, music is secondary at best.

They're playing all ladies tomorrow, so that'll be some deviation from the list. Or else it'll be 24hrs of Wolf Alice and that Ham Sandwich song.

It has it's faults but it's still cool to have a station like this during daytime. Beats the shit out of FM104, 98fm and all that other guff.

I switch between newstalk, radio 1 & TXFM

99% of commercial stations have music programmers who decide the playlists. Anything that isn't playlisted like djs who can choose what they play only happens at some stupid hour. Hiring DJs who have no interest in music is a symptom of this but sure it's all about ad sales with commercial stations, music is secondary at best.
that makes a lot of sense. I felt that the start of the end for phantom was when they won some best-station PPI award. They changed almost overnight. Died on their arse shortly after.

Spin alt - sunday mornings spin south west
An Taobh Tuathail - RnaG weekenights
John Creedon - RTE Evenings 8pmish
Kelly ensemble - LyricFM 2pm weekdays
The blue of the night - Carl Corcoran - weeknights 10pm.
eds songs of praise - today FM, sunday at 10 I think.

All DJ led music shows going on at present on national stations. There are surely more but this is how my week tends to roll out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back