Top 30 songs played on Irish radio in 2011 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 5
Why dio you all get upset about something you don't care about.

I'm a LyricFM man myself - Blue of the Night every evening; Gerry Godley on Reels to ragas; Gloria on a Sunday morning; Jazz alley midweek.

i think it's been pointed out, but that is one piss poor list.

my workday radio schedule goes like this:

8.30am - 10am Dublin City FM (i like listening to the traffic reports for some reason, and they tend to play an interesting mix of music)
10am - 11am Phantom (the morning show banter is over with, it isnt long enough to get any song repeats)
11am - 1pm Dan Hegarty on 2XM (mostly good. will switch to Nova for a few minutes during anything im not digging)
after lunch is a problem. Ive ripped the ass out of playing Nova, 2XM can be hit an miss, and i dont like the talk show on phantom.
4.30pm HOME TIME FUCKERS!

Dont really listen to the radio at home. Lyric is on in the bathroom. From time to time i'll go through phases of listening to BBC6 on the T.V. Anytime im driving in the North it makes me sad that we dont get BBC2 (the radio one) down here. not that they play much *obscure irish band name here*.

the lack of irish music on the radio has always been difficult to come to terms with. but that list seems unresonably terrible.

When I lived close to the Canadian border I use to listen to one of their radio stations. The station, by law, had to play 20% Canadian music. Does Ireland have something like this?

When I lived close to the Canadian border I use to listen to one of their radio stations. The station, by law, had to play 20% Canadian music. Does Ireland have something like this?

The only thing I can find referring to content regulation is from the old BCI website (they're now the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland) and this is from 1994:

Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht decides not to renew order under Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act, 1960 which had prohibited proscribed organisations and their members from speaking or being interviewed on Irish radio and television.

IRTC takes decision that a minimum of 30% Irish music content is to be played by all independent radio stations spread over a broadcast day.

Series of promotional campaigns are launched – for example, for the IRTC magazine, Contact, and for the JNLR.

Community Radio Pilot scheme launched.

Board of the IRTC asks the National Rehabilitation Board (NRB) to survey independent stations in relation to disabled access and to make recommendations on the improvement of such facilities.

http://www.bci.ie/faqs/faq_about_irtc.html

Whether that fact is still accurate, I'm not sure, there's no mention of it in the Broadcasting Act of 2009 (or so a quick search of some keywords didn't yield anything of note). That 30% mentioned up there is for independent stations so dunno what's the deal is with 2FM.

Even better, I don't remember this, the 2008 BCI music crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_BCI_Irish_music_crisis

The 2008 BCI "Irish" music crisis erupted in Ireland in March 2008 when it emerged that certain bands and musicians who had recorded material in Ireland were classified by the BCI as "Irish" music for radio airplay. Independent radio stations regulated by the BCI have an obligation to play agreed levels – in most cases 30% – of Irish music. Concern mounted that genuine Irish music recorded in Ireland by Irish musicians was being overlooked in favour of mainstream international trends.[1]

I just got compared to Daniel Johnston on the radio

facepalm.jpg

I listen to newstalk mostly. I've always liked talk radio. I do like good pop music as well but girls aloud have gone awol and the sugababes are knackered.

I used to always think...if only daytime radio would only play some more interesting music, the non music geek might get a chance to hear it and maybe like it. Some small band (irish or not) might develop a bigger audience, sell a few more records, not have to get day jobs. But over the years having put on loads of CDs in work the main reaction you get is "Wha's dat shiiiite?" The average 9 to 5-er doesn't really care about music...and why should they. Its just background noise to get you through the day.

I've just noticed that quite a few of those song titles get a lot better if you read them as including the record label name: I Need a Dollar Epic, Marry You Atlantic, Firework Virgin, Don't Hold Your Breath, Interscope, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back