Phantom FM "Restructuring" (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanking staff for their “dedication and patience”, Dublin Rock Radio Chairman Trevor Bowen said: “It’s with regret that we’re announcing the station’s proposed restructuring plan to continue to deliver an alternative music service for young Dubliners. However, in doing so, we’re ensuring the future of the offering.”

Phantom say they’ve been “disproportionately affected by ongoing reductions in advertising revenue in an increasingly competitive market.”

Phantom 105.2 restructuring to result in job losses | Music | News | Hot Press

I still listen to a couple of shows.. Nadine's Arts show on Saturday mornings, Dee Reddy on Sunday mornings and the two Richies occasionally on weekday evenings. But that's about it. The formulaic drive time shows etc are what ruined it for me..

Its still a shame for all concerned.

Radio is all about the advertising. Maybe advertisers don't believe phantom listeners have much money. All the private stations complain, with good cause about the rte situation. An all powerful broadcaster that receives state funding and advertising revenue.

Last edited:
looking at the JNLR stats would probably explain why they are loosing money. they set up during the boom though, most things set up during the boom aren't all that sustainable.

Radio is all about the advertising. Maybe advertisers don't believe phantom listeners have much money.
Yup. I'd imagine it's a big part of it. It's impossible to do market research on people who don't buy things. Phantom listeners will use Spotify or illegally download most of their records which creates a financial black hole thereby giving the impression that there is no money in "alternative" music and the knock on effect is that the sponsorship dries up.

I've been banging on about this for years. Spotify and free downloads and anything else that makes music available for free is a bad thing for people who make music. It's as simple as that.

That's not me saying Phantom is great and I'll be sad to see it go by the way. It wasn't.

Lads, seriously, is radio not dead or dying? I suppose current affairs chat/talk radio stuff might have play for the next 100 years but music based radio seems dead in the water to me just like HMV, bookshops, Xtra-Vision etc. I know radio has a potency that many of us underestimate but it still seems like internet, spotify, mp3s, youtube et al are making music radio largely redundant.

Lads, seriously, is radio not dead or dying?

2fm are doing a big cull at the moment too. A lot of their music shows have been axed or marginalised. Dan Hegarty has been pushed to the middle of the night and Dave Fanning is gone to a couple of 2-hour weekend slots. That leaves Donal Dineen as the only show I listen to on there thats (maybe) survived. Not sure if that got culled or not.

There was a music show on a sunday morning/afternoon which was great where they played loads of random 60s/70s/80s music. The lad who presented that went out with a big rant last week. I think he jumped before he was pushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back