Phantom FM "Restructuring" (1 Viewer)

Its the second time in as many months that I've read his column and agreed with most of the things he has said. It's surely the end of days?

Nah, because even when you agree with him, there'll be at least one sentence in his piece where you inwardly shake your head and think "what a dickhead". Failing that, just go to another column and read that, preferably one that involves him talking like he's somehow involved in the US hip hop scene as opposed to just being an old music hack from Tipperary, and you'll realise that things are still the way they were.

God. I saw that Huge Spotify Ad issue of the Sunday Times Culture Mag yesterday. Such bollox. Spotify want you to believe that they invented music.

Off topic, but Re: Hot Press. I stopped buying it years ago. They obviously model themselves on Rolling Stone and include a bit of sport, politics, ect. It trys to be all things to all men and that's its undoing for me. The interviews with politicians are so predictable, have you ever smoked cannabis?, do you have an Ipod? Load of crap. It's not what I want from a music mag.

I like that it covers everything.....but when the writing is crap it makes no difference.

I think it used to be good. I work on the same road as the Manhattan café and when I googled it found a rather wonderful article by Liam Fay, now of the Sunday Times Irish TV reviews, from a 1993 Hot Press. It wasn't even that good, but it was 10 times better journalism than anything that I read in the issue I bought a few months ago.

Listening to Ronan Collins causes me to experience a strange synesthesia, a temporary sensory confusion. Whenever I hear his voice my nostrils fill with the smell of musty farts.

This can only be because, when i was a child, my father used to listen to stuff like Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, James Last and Acker Bilk whilst also parping away in the car.

There's still a place for radio. It's all very well to say Radio is dead, CDs are dead, journalism is dead when you're sitting at a computer most of the day.

I work in a shop, I don't sit at a computer most of the day. I get what you're saying though, I still read a newspaper most days, I suppose partly for serendipity. The only record shop in my locale is Golden Discs and it doesn't have great stock but there was a time not so long ago when I'd go into HMV and buy armfuls of their bargain bin CDs, Motown compilations etc.

I am sure there is still a place for music radio but if many people's habits have changed in recent years the way mine have it doesn't matter if there's still a core of people who regularly listen to it. You have more radio stations nowadays and fewer listeners, which means something's got to give. I know all about it, changes in technology, coupled with our ropey economy has put the last nails in my family business, one that thrived for a quarter century. Most bookshops, DVD places, CD places are dead in the water because of these changes. And none of these places are closing because literally no-one is buying your shit, just depending on margins, if enough people stop, then you're toast.

I'd be interested to see how many 15/16/17/18 year olds who don't work in a place with piped radio are listening to the radio on a regular basis. I used to listen every night after school. I used to listen on my walkman when the battery was getting too low to play tapes. I used to have a radio on in work too but then IMRO/IRMA mafia wanted their piece so I stopped having it on and have never looked back. Now I might stick on the radio if I'm riding shotgun in a car, but other than Lyric and some of the talk radio stuff it is guff, and I'm not even talking about the music, as much of the pop music is fantastic, I mean all the other shit between Nicki Minaj, Avicii etc.

I'd be interested to see how many 15/16/17/18 year olds who don't work in a place with piped radio are listening to the radio on a regular basis.

Most likely through shitty iPhone/Android apps that aggregate Youtube video playlists so they can listen to the audio. They're the same people who can't figure out piracy properly and use those ad-filled TV streaming sites with links to dodgy file hosters..

I'd be interested to see how many 15/16/17/18 year olds who don't work in a place with piped radio are listening to the radio on a regular basis. I used to listen every night after school. I used to listen on my walkman when the battery was getting too low to play tapes. .

I can relate to this. When I was a teenager I used to spend my evenings/nights lying on my bed listening to the Dave Fanning show. My sister told me months later that my poor Mam thought I was depressed - goin' up to my bedroom every evening, lying stretched out on the bed, listening to miserable music. He gets a hard time, but it was Fanning's show that got me into music bigtime.

I then used to listen to Capital NiteSky 96fm all the time from 1985-1988 and knew all the different DJs and their subtle different tastes in music. I actually stayed in on New Year's Eve in 1988 to record their last show before they shut down with all the other Pirates. My mates thought I was insane.

I also used to stay awake late into the night listening to Dublin's Alices Restaurant, which introduced me to all the 4AD Stuff/ This Motal Coil, Mazzy Star etc. That became Xfm and I used to listen to @dudley, Joss, Richie & Mattie, @Lolo and @kirstyy and others ALL the time. Huge range of great music. Still miss those voices. Static ridden background and all. I also used to spend ages trying to pick up John Peel on fuzzy Medium Wave, driving everyone mad.

Several years later, it was The Eclectic Ballroom (John Kelly) followed by Here Comes The Night (Donal Dineen) on Today FM. Several great years. Then they got fucked around by Management. Later it was John Kelly's Mystery Train, until he got shafted by Management too.

I used to have a tape ready all the time and recorded anything I thought sounded interesting, and would listen to the tapes on the way to college/ work. I totally miss what radio used to give me, although it could be just pining for my youth. It's hard to know.

These days, there are occasional shows on Phantom, one or two on Today FM (Paul McLoon weeknights and Dave Couse on Sundays), a few on Lyric (The Blue of the Night especially), some on RTE 1 and that's about it. I like to have the radio on, way more than my laptop, and am just not endeared to digital stations for that reason. Although, I got a wee digital radio for my birthday which I plan on hooking up to my stereo. That might change everything again. But, I also much prefer live recordings to recorded shows -you can always tell the difference. But I don't know. The buzz of yesteryear is well gone.

I think the fact remains that the listenership for Phantom has been going downhill for years. There were some stand out shows on there but the vast majority of it was music for a crowd that simply didnt listen to the radio.
Personally I listen to Newstalk most of the time as I find listening to conversations interesting. But I would love to have a music station that I could sink my teeth in to. For me, one of the things that puts me off is the generic radio DJ accent. Listening to a Dublin station and hearing these pasteurised DJs with the half american twingey voices drives me insane.
Lets here some tunes and some background on the tunes, lets hear a DJ who knows what they are playing so well that they can give you some knowledge on the bands and tracks. Lets hear some obscure stuff from side projects and B sides. Fuck playlists and paid for broadcasting.

Anyone wanna set up a pirate station? XFM was deadly.

I used to DJ with a mate of mine some Saturday mornings on pirate Energy FM, playing old house records from a dodgy gaff in Loughlinstown when I was 14.

Off topic, but Re: Hot Press. I stopped buying it years ago. They obviously model themselves on Rolling Stone and include a bit of sport, politics, ect. It trys to be all things to all men and that's its undoing for me. The interviews with politicians are so predictable, have you ever smoked cannabis?, do you have an Ipod? Load of crap. It's not what I want from a music mag.
But it was ever thus!

And what about Thumped? Predominantly music but we discuss books, film, politics, themes of the day, who you'd like to ride/let ride you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back