TTIP (2 Viewers)

Also, from what I read the ISDS conditions are off the negotiating table in TTIP as there is too much European resistance to them, particularly from the Germans.
That any ISDS commitment would have to be changed significantly.

The Economist also seems to think that TTIP would have to be ratified by national parliaments, not just the European one.

I just take issue with the jobs thing. As a general principle I'd be a supporter of increasing trade. Open trade up and fix problems that arise.
The special rights for corporations thing sounds horrible. I think the Kochs were involved along the line with that.

Exactly

"Removing trade barriers "

I wonder what corporations like Walmart would consider a "barrier to trade".

Really? Walmart. Constantly in the news for their cuntish work practices and you couldn't even speculate what they'd do on a grand scale?

German workers warn auto bosses not to compromise rights in TTIP| Reuters

German union workers are cagey, but pro-trade

While fewer tariffs and the establishment of common technical standards are beneficial, any trade deal should ensure that the right of labour representatives to vote on significant strategy goals - such as shutting down a factory - should also be possible in the United States, the statement said.

German workers warn auto bosses not to compromise rights in TTIP| Reuters

German union workers are cagey, but pro-trade

While fewer tariffs and the establishment of common technical standards are beneficial, any trade deal should ensure that the right of labour representatives to vote on significant strategy goals - such as shutting down a factory - should also be possible in the United States, the statement said.

Wow. Imagine that in the states. I'm contractually not allowed join a union because.... 'MURICA.

Really? Walmart. Constantly in the news for their cuntish work practices and you couldn't even speculate what they'd do on a grand scale?

My understanding is that it is more about harmonising technical requirements. Like the US tests some products one way, the EU another. If they agree that both methods are safe, then we can sell them to each other.
I don't know that it affects work practices. But I haven't read everything on it yet. I have like 5 tabs open on it right now.

This seems to be the latest state of play

The next round of TTIP negotiations takes place in Brussels on 2-6 February. Once the TTIP agreement is concluded, it will have to be approved by the European Parliament before entering into force.

The Parliament is currently preparing a mid-term review of the TTIP talks and the report could be voted on in May.

Nothing there about individual parliaments like the Economist said.

For instance, due to different safety rules in the US and the EU, cars may have different types of lights or safety belts depending on the target market.

If these safety rules were considered equivalent, since they do not impact general EU or US car safety standards, changes in production would not be necessary, explained Erik Jonnaert, secretary-general of the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.

I know safety standards for cars in the US focus on not hurting the driver while in Europe they focus on not hurting a pedestrian. I believe this makes sense based on the type of crashes that happen on each continent. It would be interesting to see how they fix the safety rules, forgive me for not assuming that they'd just improve the safety to include both.

Although maybe I should be more positive about these things. CHOOSE LIFE

My missus attended a conference on international human rights in Holland as part of her college course.

A Chinese girl from her class took the floor and said matter-of-factly that paying sustainable living wages to the people of Nigeria was a barrier to Chinese commerce.

Cue gasps of shock and horror from the international assembly and the rest of her class easing away from her lest they damned by association.

Anyway..there's a point in this anecdote.

A Chinese girl from her class took the floor and said matter-of-factly that paying sustainable living wages to the people of Nigeria was a barrier to Chinese commerce.

Aren't the Chinese guaranteeing their future food supply by buying up big chunks of Africa? Is that what she means, I wonder?
Surely wealthier Nigerians could buy more Chinese gear?

We need her on this thread.

Also, I think I fancy her. Anyone that can say to a room full of people exactly what they don't want to hear? That's a girl you marry.

Wealthy ...yes..of course

Are you trolling now?

Not at all. I don't get her point.
The more money the average Nigerian has, the more he can afford the myriad things that China produces, right? A net gain for China.
I am puzzled at how wage levels in Nigeria effect Chinese commerce other than that.
But I am far from expert on how those countries interact.

Big company (or country) exploits poor country.

Paying workers a decent wage cuts into profit. They may begrudgingly pay them just enough so as not to be accused by the international community of exploitation.

The workers who make just enough to get by will never become happy consumers buying big company/country's products.

I feel like I'm 17 again writing this stuff.

Maybe I have the world view of a naive 17 year old?

No. It's the system that is wrong.

163680-5854-principal-skinner.jpg

I think I was unaware that China employed that many Nigerians.

China–Nigeria relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China is considered to one of Nigeria's closest allies and partners. China is also one of Nigeria's important trading and export partners.

Seems like the wage thing is flowing the other way though.

However, the "flooding" of Nigerian markets with cheap Chinese goods has become a sensitive political issue, as – combined with the importation of second-hand European products – it has adversely affected domestic industries, especially in textiles, and led to closure of 65 textile mills and the laying-off of 150,000 textile workers over the course of a decade.

Man, they really do think long-term, the Chinese
China–Nigeria relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From 2000 to 2011, there are approximately 40 Chinese official development finance projects identified in Nigeria through various media reports.[14] These projects range from a $2.5 billion loan for Nigerian rail, power, or telecommunications projects in 2008,[15] to an MoU for $1 billion construction of houses and water supply in Abuja in 2009,[16] and several rail networks.[17]

Still a mad yoke for her to say at a conference on Human Rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back