TTIP (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Jaykers

What is TTIP? And six reasons why the answer should scare you - Comment - Voices - The Independent

What is TTIP? And six reasons why the answer should scare you
The trade negotiations are an assault on democracy. I would vote against them except… hang on a minute, I can’t

Have you heard about TTIP? If your answer is no, don’t get too worried; you’re not meant to have.

The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership is a series of trade negotiations being carried out mostly in secret between the EU and US. As a bi-lateral trade agreement, TTIP is about reducing the regulatory barriers to trade for big business, things like food safety law, environmental legislation, banking regulations and the sovereign powers of individual nations. It is, as John Hilary, Executive Director of campaign group War on Want, said: “An assault on European and US societies by transnational corporations.”

Since before TTIP negotiations began last February, the process has been secretive and undemocratic. This secrecy is on-going, with nearly all information on negotiations coming from leaked documents and Freedom of Information requests.

But worryingly, the covert nature of the talks may well be the least of our problems. Here are six other reasons why we should be scared of TTIP, very scared indeed:

1 The NHS

Public services, especially the NHS, are in the firing line. One of the main aims of TTIP is to open up Europe’s public health, education and water services to US companies. This could essentially mean the privatisation of the NHS.

The European Commission has claimed that public services will be kept out of TTIP. However, according to the Huffington Post, the UK Trade Minister Lord Livingston has admitted that talks about the NHS were still on the table.

2 Food and environmental safety

TTIP’s ‘regulatory convergence’ agenda will seek to bring EU standards on food safety and the environment closer to those of the US. But US regulations are much less strict, with 70 per cent of all processed foods sold in US supermarkets now containing genetically modified ingredients. By contrast, the EU allows virtually no GM foods. The US also has far laxer restrictions on the use of pesticides. It also uses growth hormones in its beef which are restricted in Europe due to links to cancer. US farmers have tried to have these restrictions lifted repeatedly in the past through the World Trade Organisation and it is likely that they will use TTIP to do so again.

The same goes for the environment, where the EU’s REACH regulations are far tougher on potentially toxic substances. In Europe a company has to prove a substance is safe before it can be used; in the US the opposite is true: any substance can be used until it is proven unsafe. As an example, the EU currently bans 1,200 substances from use in cosmetics; the US just 12.

3 Banking regulations

TTIP cuts both ways. The UK, under the influence of the all-powerful City of London, is thought to be seeking a loosening of US banking regulations. America’s financial rules are tougher than ours. They were put into place after the financial crisis to directly curb the powers of bankers and avoid a similar crisis happening again. TTIP, it is feared, will remove those restrictions, effectively handing all those powers back to the bankers.

4 Privacy

Remember ACTA (the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement)? It was thrown out by a massive majority in the European Parliament in 2012 after a huge public backlash against what was rightly seen as an attack on individual privacy where internet service providers would be required to monitor people’s online activity. Well, it’s feared that TTIP could be bringing back ACTA’s central elements, proving that if the democratic approach doesn’t work, there’s always the back door. An easing of data privacy laws and a restriction of public access to pharmaceutical companies’ clinical trials are also thought to be on the cards.

5 Jobs

The EU has admitted that TTIP will probably cause unemployment as jobs switch to the US, where labour standards and trade union rights are lower. It has even advised EU members to draw on European support funds to compensate for the expected unemployment.

Examples from other similar bi-lateral trade agreements around the world support the case for job losses. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the US, Canada and Mexico caused the loss of one million US jobs over 12 years, instead of the hundreds of thousands of extra that were promised.

6 Democracy

TTIP’s biggest threat to society is its inherent assault on democracy. One of the main aims of TTIP is the introduction of Investor-State Dispute Settlements (ISDS), which allow companies to sue governments if those governments’ policies cause a loss of profits. In effect it means unelected transnational corporations can dictate the policies of democratically elected governments.

ISDSs are already in place in other bi-lateral trade agreements around the world and have led to such injustices as in Germany where Swedish energy company Vattenfall is suing the German government for billions of dollars over its decision to phase out nuclear power plants in the wake of the Fukushima disaster in Japan. Here we see a public health policy put into place by a democratically elected government being threatened by an energy giant because of a potential loss of profit. Nothing could be more cynically anti-democratic.

There are around 500 similar cases of businesses versus nations going on around the world at the moment and they are all taking place before ‘arbitration tribunals’ made up of corporate lawyers appointed on an ad hoc basis, which according to War on Want’s John Hilary, are “little more than kangaroo courts” with “a vested interest in ruling in favour of business.”

So I don’t know about you, but I’m scared. I would vote against TTIP, except… hang on a minute… I can’t. Like you, I have no say whatsoever in whether TTIP goes through or not. All I can do is tell as many people about it as possible, as I hope, will you. We may be forced to accept an attack on democracy but we can at least fight against the conspiracy of silence

Mad that he'd put a UKIP protest on there to help make his case

TTIP.jpg

Fair play though, I suppose.

Aren't GM foods up there with cell phone radiation as far as scare Vs proof ratios go?

Yeah, maybe it falls into the "we don't know if its harmful and there's no evidence to suggest it is". But I think the difference is that GM foods could radically change the natural order of things (reducing bio-diversity etc) The perception of the lab is what puts people off I think. And also, when might it become OK to genetically modify meat based products and animals themselves?

But I don't know. Farmers have been genetically modifying crops for generations - looking for best strains etc.

Yeah, maybe it falls into the "we don't know if its harmful and there's no evidence to suggest it is". But I think the difference is that GM foods could radically change the natural order of things (reducing bio-diversity etc) The perception of the lab is what puts people off I think. And also, when might it become OK to genetically modify meat based products and animals themselves?

But I don't know. Farmers have been genetically modifying crops for generations - looking for best strains etc.

Right. It's just something that people seem to throw onto the pile without thinking about it. And there's no science behind it.
It's not just the lab, but the idea that corporations are making something that nature used to. And all corporations are evil ergo this thing is evil.

That ISDS thing seems to have emanated from one of the Koch's institutes. Now that I could get behind knocking.
But he's banging on about some $250bn settlement against Romania in his other piece with no attribution. Link me up! That I'll read about.

Right. It's just something that people seem to throw onto the pile without thinking about it. And there's no science behind it.
It's not just the lab, but the idea that corporations are making something that nature used to. And all corporations are evil ergo this thing is evil.

That ISDS thing seems to have emanated from one of the Koch's institutes. Now that I could get behind knocking.
But he's banging on about some $250bn settlement against Romania in his other piece with no attribution. Link me up! That I'll read about.

Yeah the ISDS thing is crazy! Funny, I'm currently reading a Margaret Atwood trilogy and its set in a future where all this stuff appears to have happened! And its not pleasant!

This is pure man-in-the-pub stuff

The anti-democratic nature of the ISDS provisions is neatly summed up by one case in Romania. The government was ordered to pay €250bn to a private company for loss of profits caused by changing legislation in order to gain accession to the EU.

The EU itself tried to intervene in the case, but was overruled by an ISDS tribunal. This now gives us the laughable situation where the EU is seeking a trade deal with the US that includes tribunals which, in the past, have trampled all over its very own sovereignty. Has the EU no dignity, as well as no ears?

And I should say that I am biggo pro-trade. Trade is jobs is peace.

I love these guys
Hanseatic League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like a big bag of shite to me, I'm agin it. Richard Bruton is for it though so maybe it's alright.

I’m talking about the proposed Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) and its provisions for “investor-state dispute settlement”. If this sounds incomprehensible, that’s mission accomplished: public understanding is lethal to this attempted corporate coup.

Investor-state dispute settlement – ISDS – means allowing corporations to sue governments over laws that might affect their profits. The tobacco company Philip Morris is currently suing Australia and Uruguay, under similar treaties, for their attempts to discourage smoking. It describes the UK’s proposed rules on plain packaging as “unlawful”: if TTIP goes ahead, expect a challenge.

Corporations can use the courts to defend their interests. But under current treaties, ISDS lets them apply instead to offshore tribunals operating in secret, without such basic safeguards as judicial review and rights of appeal. As Crouch notes, this is not just post-democracy, but “post-law”.
The TTIP trade deal will throw equality before the law on the corporate bonfire | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

Aren't GM foods up there with cell phone radiation as far as scare Vs proof ratios go?
The one where you ignore what the World Health Organization say in favour of pure profit? Yeah I guess so.

This isn't the first time I've heard about the TTIP (although I had totally forgotten their name) and while I'm skeptical of any fear-mongering, hits-chasing editorial piece... well... our governments don't exactly have a good track record of looking after the people when there's a bit of profit to be made.

anyway, I knew the Telegraph would have a pro TTIP piece so i'm gonna go read it now

This trade deal with America would have Churchill beaming - Telegraph

edit: it's written by Boris Johnson FFS

Last edited:
Haven't they said that GMO foods have zero health risk?
I've been reading that all over.
Are they bring two-faced with me?
Wouldn't surprise me tbh
Oh I was talking more specifically about mobile phones. I don't think GM food is necessarily bad but I have my doubts about anything that is grown on an industrial scale.

TTP is directly analogous to TTIP
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back