Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate (1970) (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
4.80 star(s) Rating: 4.80/5 5 Votes
Title: Songs of Love and Hate
Artist: Leonard Cohen
Released: 1970

Tracks:
1 - Avalanche - 5:01
2 - Last Year's Man - 5:59
3 - Dress Rehearsal Rag - 6:05
4 - Diamonds in the Mine - 3:50
5 - Love Calls You by Your Name - 5:40
6 - Famous Blue Raincoat - 5:10
7 - Sing Another Song, Boys - 6:12
8 - Joan of Arc - 6:21

Overview:
Songs of Love and Hate is the third studio album by Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen. Produced by Bob Johnston, the album was released on March 19, 1971, through Columbia Records.

2240b8f14935298ff90ab5e121c9eafa.jpg

I'm listening to this on youtube. Man he was good at the old word-smithing. The last song, Joan of Arc sounds like it came from a different album..it's jarring.

Maybe it's this upload?

Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Love And Hate (Studio album, 1971) - YouTube

Yeah - that's a cover version. Here is the album version, and its a beautiful end to the album, totally fitting with what came before

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah - that's a cover version. Here is the album version, and its a beautiful end to the album, totally fitting with what came before

It's a live version from his album Can't Forget.

For me the first three albums represent him at his best. Hard to choose between them, although the first two have the edge on the third. Still, Nine star albums all.

Songs of Leonard Cohen
Songs From a Room
Songs of Love and Hate

Avalanche is a great opener. Dark stuff.

We had this Best of Leonard Cohen lp at home when I was growing up:
6621104463c3dd2fc428f000e417b04440630201

I got very into it when in my last couple of years in school but when I finally went beyond it into the regular albums I found that the Best Of was really as much as I needed.I general I like him, musically I guess I'm only a fair-weather fan. The arrangements of the best songs are great and really untied to any style of contemporary pop or rock music. The voice is right up front but soft, the guitar is also sorta up-front but a bit farther away and then way off in the background there are whole string sections or the female voices or other bits and pieces of instrumentation but they're so far back they sound like they're wafting across the prairies on a winters night. It says in the sleeve notes that he wrote Chelsea Hotel (I think it was that one) in Asmara. Teenage me in Mullingar used to listen to this in the dark and fantasize that I had some reason to go to Asmara (most likely something important related to whatever is going on in The Partisan) dressed in austere black beatnik clothes.

Ooops, sorry wrong album.

Went through a Cohen phase at 18 or 19, thought (rightly) he was the best songwriter in the world. Used to listen to his music all the time at the time in my bookshop.

One day a customer came in and she says "is that Leonard Cohen?" and sez I, proudly, "Yes, he's great". Sez she, "That moany bastard, my brother used to torment me with his renditions of his shit songs 20 years ago!"

We had this Best of Leonard Cohen lp at home when I was growing up:
6621104463c3dd2fc428f000e417b04440630201

I got very into it when in my last couple of years in school but when I finally went beyond it into the regular albums I found that the Best Of was really as much as I needed.I general I like him, musically I guess I'm only a fair-weather fan. The arrangements of the best songs are great and really untied to any style of contemporary pop or rock music. The voice is right up front but soft, the guitar is also sorta up-front but a bit farther away and then way off in the background there are whole string sections or the female voices or other bits and pieces of instrumentation but they're so far back they sound like they're wafting across the prairies on a winters night. It says in the sleeve notes that he wrote Chelsea Hotel (I think it was that one) in Asmara. Teenage me in Mullingar used to listen to this in the dark and fantasize that I had some reason to go to Asmara (most likely something important related to whatever is going on in The Partisan) dressed in austere black beatnik clothes.

Ooops, sorry wrong album.

Had that one too. Still one of my all time favourite album sleeves. Always loved Lady Midnight.

So,this morning,I loaded this up on the Xiaomi and hit the road to Dublin.I listen to music on my earbuds in the van because what can only be laughably described as the acoustics(yeah right) inside of a Renault Kangoo leave a lot to be desired,but earbuds just about do the trick,blocking out the cacophonous shake rattle roll and 120kmph motorway rumble of the oversized diesel powered sardine can I dearly love and call The Green Vanalishi.

I had mentally committed to giving Leonard his proper deserved attention numerous times over the years,but never got any further than a battered old charity shop copy of his greatest hits..the one with the groovy cover that Shaney also had.Which I’m sure I played a fair bit but have no recollection of it now.

Having read scutters moving post about listening to nothing but a LC cassette for the duration of the three week road trip with his uncle in nineteen forty seven..I decided that in tribute to both that fated expedition and as a mark of respect to a fallen fellow troubadour(I feel certain had he lived long enough Leonard would have come to recognize me as a fellow traveller, another journeyman residing in the tower of song ,how long he would’ve had to endure for this sorry rambling attempt at a gag to come to fruition..abort) I would put the album on repeat for both legs of the trip,there and back.

On the first rotation,two songs grabbed my attention,the opener Avalanche and the frankly exquisite Dress Rehearsal Rag...so much so that I had no qualms about the prospect of an immediate second performance,which commenced halfway between Virginia and Kells.

Second time around,despite the thunderous din of the M3 ,when Dress Rehearsal Rag came on I found myself identifying profoundly with the sentiment and indeed the narrative described therein. Coincidentally,apparently somewhere in the distance ahead of me, I deduced that I must’ve been caught in the tail wind of a lorry transporting peeled onions,the miasma of which was obviously penetrating the vans interior by way of the heating,irritating my eyes and as an unexpected side effect,giving me pause to reflect on loves lost and other similar things of that nature.

By the time I arrived in at my destination Id heard the album three times and low and behold,I listened to it all the way home and am listening to it still!

Its a powerful work of art. The lyrics are nothing short of sublime...and the melodies are concise and simple...fucking A 1 Sharon. A masterclass in songcraft.

Also Leo Sayer totally nabbed the melody for When I need You from Famous Blue Raincoat,which I’ve no problem with cos I love Leos tune and I now absolutely fucking love Famous Blue Raincoat too.It sends shivers up my spine.

This is by far the best album club experience I’ve had so far and am very grateful for the opportunity to have a reason to find something to love. ..which is the case with this record.

10/10

Caveat;I didnt proof read or otherwise revise this completely subjective ramble

Sincerely

G.Showbiz

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back