Top 30 songs played on Irish radio in 2011 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 5
Old and out of touch. Wish they'd never got rid of Top of The Pops

Whenever I'm in a convenience store and they are playing whatever radio station it always compels me to leave quicker because of its irritating fm sounds "rapping" and autotune bollix that seems to be always on. Thing is I'm always caught off guard by people casually singing along. Even people older than me humming along casually like its Nat King Cole delivering an old standard. Its flippin bizarre.

Whenever I'm in a convenience store and they are playing whatever radio station it always compels me to leave quicker because of its irritating fm sounds "rapping" and autotune bollix that seems to be always on. Thing is I'm always caught off guard by people casually singing along. Even people older than me humming along casually like its Nat King Cole delivering an old standard. Its flippin bizarre.

Convenience store? Get out

do phantom have any shows showcasing new music, or music that would not make it on to their usual playlists?
for example - i've never heard spook of the 13th lock played on phantom, despite the single being an excellent choice for indie radio.

They deviate from the playlist a bit in the evenings. Jim Carroll was raving about the Spook record when it came out, I'm sure they've played him on his show.

Cathy Davy and Lisa Hannigan seem to get a bit of airplay. I tend to listen to old man radio though

I was in a Spar this morning and the radio was playing Pictures of Matchstick Men by The Quo. Such an amazing song.

14 Aloe Blacc I Need a Dollar

Great song, in fairness.

Saturday nights after midnight Phantom has a good show with a DJ that talks a bit too much but plays decent tunes. Don't know his name since they don't seem to have the show listed on the site. He filled in during the Forbidden Fruit Fest when all the normal djs were there and not in the studio. He likes the Replacements and played things like Patsy Cline and 50s music. He should get a better slot, I'd listen.

I like much more pop music now than I have at any time since I was about 13. Price Tag, On The Floor and S&M are all straight up deadly songs, and Price Tag in particular I'd be proud to have written

(don't like that Aloe Blacc one at all)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and

are both essentially ads for bmw, and the j-lo one has a pretty funny jewelry ad in there too.

there are two ways of looking at it though:

1. those bastards wont play my creepy sounding ballads.

2. they fairly represent the popular music of the english speaking countries of which ireland is nothing near 13% of.

the c-lo tune is one of my faves of all those. sounds great on a good stereo.

the c-lo tune is one of my faves of all those. sounds great on a good stereo.

always reminds me of Horse Outside

Great song, in fairness.

Saturday nights after midnight Phantom has a good show with a DJ that talks a bit too much but plays decent tunes. Don't know his name since they don't seem to have the show listed on the site. He filled in during the Forbidden Fruit Fest when all the normal djs were there and not in the studio. He likes the Replacements and played things like Patsy Cline and 50s music. He should get a better slot, I'd listen.

Yes! Thats one of my favourite radio shows. You man is James Byrne from Any Other City Records. He has released stuff from Squarehead, Hired Hands, Villagers, Hello Moon etc.

Here's a small interview he did for the Times a couple of years ago

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2010/08/12/guest-post-500-words-of-summer-james-byrne/

I suppose the aforementioned Republic Of Loose do music most like other popular foreign acts, I just do think it's a shame that there are probably a few dozen Irish acts that would be very popular across different age groups if they got heavy radio play. Irishy/country/cajun/come all ye stuff seems really popular live but rarely makes a dent in the charts and I think it's partially because of the way radio is beholden still to the major record labels.

The only independent act I know of that gets significant radio play beyond the ghettos of certain shows and Phantom FM is Republic Of Loose. They get drive-time, prime-time, whateveryoucallit, play, on a regular basis, moreso when they've got a charting song. They're the only example I can think of though.

are they from the Republic of Ireland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back