Squad for Poland game announced (1 Viewer)

nutmeg81

Norwich City's Anthony Pilkington has been named in the Republic of Ireland squad to face Poland next month. Pilkington, 24, had been capped at Under-21 level back in 2008.

Also included are Derby trio Conor Sammon, Jeff Hendrick and Richard Keogh.

Bristol City full-back Greg Cunningham has earned a recall. The ex-Manchester City player earned three caps in 2010.

The manager himself was not at the announcement in Dublin this afternoon after his sister, Romilde, 81, passed away this morning following a long illness.

Ireland host Poland on 6 February at Aviva Stadium, their last game ahead of the crucial double-header away to Sweden and home to Austria on 22 and 26 March.

Provisional ROI squad:
(GK)
Keiren Westwood (Sunderland), David Forde (Milwall), Stephen Henderson (West Ham)

(D) Ciaran Clark (Villa), Darren O’Dea (Toronto), Paul McShane (Hull), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Richard Keogh (Derby), Richard Dunne* (Villa), Greg Cunningham (Bristol City), Stephen Ward (Wolves)

(M) Anthony Pilkington (Norwich), James McClean (Sunderland), Robbie Brady (Hull), Aiden McGeady (Spartak), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), James McCarthy (Wigan), Jeff Hendrick (Derby), David Meyler (Hull), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)

(F) Simon Cox (Notts Forest), Shane Long (WBA), Jon Walters (Stoke), Andy Keogh (Milwall), Kevin Doyle (Wolves)

* Richard Dunne has been placed on a standby list and will be called up if he returns to fitness in the next two weeks.

Trapattoni has been to see Derby twice in recent weeks and those trips have resulted in the call-ups for defender Keogh, 26, midfielder Hendrick, 20, and former UCD and Derry City forward Sammon, 26

Robbie Keane, Stephen Kelly and John O'Shea are all being rested.

Are Andrews, St Ledger & Gibson injured?

Sammon didn't look nearly up to international standard the few times I saw him playing for Wigan and he has a scoring ratio of about 1 every 4 games for Derby but somewhat depressingly that still gives him a better goals total this season than Doyle, Keogh and Cox..

Hendrick seems a promising player, was one of the standouts for the Under 19s at that Euros tournament the summer before last. There's the makings of a nifty enough midfield there, with him, Hoolahan, McCarthy and Brady to choose from. Also good to have Pilkington throw his lot in with us. Stephen Kelly I assume is being punished for his strop before the Faroes game but I don't get why Trap has ditched Joey O Brien, seeing as we have so few defenders actually playing regular Premier League football now.

JOB has looked very good for West Ham every time I see them. Deserves a call-up.
Alex Pearce is playing at a higher level than Richard Keogh. Though I do think Keogh deserves a chance to show what he can do. Sammon.....oh dear. I quite like him, he's game and will give 100% but he's never going to be international class.

Norwich City's Anthony Pilkington has been named in the Republic of Ireland squad to face Poland next month. Pilkington, 24, had been capped at Under-21 level back in 2008.

Also included are Derby trio Conor Sammon, Jeff Hendrick and Richard Keogh.

Bristol City full-back Greg Cunningham has earned a recall. The ex-Manchester City player earned three caps in 2010.

The manager himself was not at the announcement in Dublin this afternoon after his sister, Romilde, 81, passed away this morning following a long illness.

Ireland host Poland on 6 February at Aviva Stadium, their last game ahead of the crucial double-header away to Sweden and home to Austria on 22 and 26 March.

Provisional ROI squad:
(GK)
Keiren Westwood (Sunderland), David Forde (Milwall), Stephen Henderson (West Ham)

(D) Ciaran Clark (Villa), Darren O’Dea (Toronto), Paul McShane (Hull), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Richard Keogh (Derby), Richard Dunne* (Villa), Greg Cunningham (Bristol City), Stephen Ward (Wolves)

(M) Anthony Pilkington (Norwich), James McClean (Sunderland), Robbie Brady (Hull), Aiden McGeady (Spartak), Glenn Whelan (Stoke), James McCarthy (Wigan), Jeff Hendrick (Derby), David Meyler (Hull), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich)

(F) Simon Cox (Notts Forest), Shane Long (WBA), Jon Walters (Stoke), Andy Keogh (Milwall), Kevin Doyle (Wolves)

* Richard Dunne has been placed on a standby list and will be called up if he returns to fitness in the next two weeks.

Trapattoni has been to see Derby twice in recent weeks and those trips have resulted in the call-ups for defender Keogh, 26, midfielder Hendrick, 20, and former UCD and Derry City forward Sammon, 26

Robbie Keane, Stephen Kelly and John O'Shea are all being rested.

Are Andrews, St Ledger & Gibson injured?

Gibson will be back in a few weeks, thank christ. Some minor thigh problem at the moment.

Well it is an adventurous blooding of new players - can't complain at all.
I'd be interested to see Hendrick alright, but I don't understand Sammon's call-up (I don;t see him listed in the provisional list though?). I'm surprised Pearce is not there and McShane is. No, really, I am surprised. Should we just assume that JOB and Kelly are in the competitive squad?
I thought Keane would play as a warm up for the MLS season, given that he's in London now.
Yes, SSL is injured. As is Coleman, as of last night anyway.

I also thought Bunn was going to get a look in?

Let's see if he shows up first. I'd prefer to see Duffy in there too rather than Keogh (or McShane obviously). I just think Keogh's a bit far down the pecking order for it to be of much value.

JOB has looked very good for West Ham every time I see them. Deserves a call-up.
Alex Pearce is playing at a higher level than Richard Keogh. Though I do think Keogh deserves a chance to show what he can do. Sammon.....oh dear. I quite like him, he's game and will give 100% but he's never going to be international class.

yeah considering the hammers keeper is in there i thought o'brien would be called up, he was called up at some point in the 2nd half of last year for a few squads which was great to see.

dont know what happen pearce, is he still out of palace's first eleven?

with those 3 derby guys im happy out that green didnt make it 4!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back