Ireland vs 'Whoever' and Stalin (1 Viewer)

To assess our chances, we should list our last 20 competitive away games. Try and figure a way of assessing anyone 'decent' we've taken points off versus shitting the bed, then talk about getting a draw against the Poles.
All things being equal, I reckon we have all the points we're gonna get.

Germany 1 Ireland 1.

Winning in Georgia must go down as points taken against a "decent" team. We got all 3, in fact.

We also drew away to Sweden in the WC2014 qualifiers.

Yeah, if there's one thing we can do, for what its worth, it's getting draws away to decent opposition. Russia away was basically Richard Dunne vs the world in the previous Euro qualifiers, but Sweden and Germany were merited. And as you said earlier, the Poland side are nothing special - good enough to beat Scotland (who ARE weak) - but not good enough for us to be unable to draw with away from home.

Could also nick a point off the Germans at home. Not likely of course, but stranger things have happened. We also have the best defensive record in the group.

Contrary to yer man's baseless pessimism above, I'd say the odds would favour us getting at least a point out of the last two.

Well, I am highly offended, I have to say.

Still reckon on zippo points. We'll see.

Lookit. I'm a Limerick hurling supporter. We can be shite in the league, have internal trauma at management level but when it comes down to the day we get behind the team and sometimes as rank outsiders we win a munster title and beat Tipp two years in a row, and other days we get hammered. Always keep the faith.

2 days ago it was 26 years to the day that my da first brought me to an Ireland match. It was magic, unforgettable. I've never thought we didn't have a chance in ANY match since.

And the match my dad brought me to was a 1-1 draw with West Germany.

Brady's last match when he was substituted? I was there too! Mind you, that was the best Ireland team of all time.

Yeah. I was 7. My ma said we were going down to pick up me daddio from work but when we got there she told me to get out of the car and go over to him as he'd something to tell me.
"C'mon, we've to get on a train, we're going to the match"

The rest of the evening was indescribable. Pure wonder.

I hope I can do something similar for my own boy.

I definitely wouldn't put a battling point in Warsaw beyond us, especially if Scotland-Poland is a draw and Poland only need the point for automatic qualification.. Poland have Lewandowski and have generally looked a bit better than us this campaign but it was still 1-1 in Dublin, Scotland drew out there too. We somehow have the best defensive record in the group, whatever that's worth.. Germany will be assured of automatic qualification if they get a point in Dublin but I still think they'll push for the win and with them knocking in at least 3 goals a game lately I think a result in that match is beyond us, but I was doubly sure of that before the away fixture so who knows.. Dunphy was blathering on about them being a 'poor' team the other night, I'd be curious to hear what the German equivalent of Dunphy would make of our lot.

Yeah. I was 7. My ma said we were going down to pick up me daddio from work but when we got there she told me to get out of the car and go over to him as he'd something to tell me.
"C'mon, we've to get on a train, we're going to the match"

The rest of the evening was indescribable. Pure wonder.

I hope I can do something similar for my own boy.

Nice!
My first match was a wet Wednesday afternoon in 1985 to see Eoin Hand's Ireland play out a meaningless nil-nil draw against Norway for Mexico 86 in front of 12,000 people. Those were great days when Landsdowne had no floodlights so you'd get a day off school on Wednesdays! I remember clear as day the likes of Langan, Beglin, Gerry Daly, Brady of course, Stapleton, and my hero Tony Galvin with his socks rolled down bombing down the wing. In relative terms it was not a good game but to me, just like you, it was the best day ever. Walking up to Landsdowne under the old south terrace and hearing the announcer call out the team to the cheer of the crowd was the most exciting thing in the world.

. Those were great days when Landsdowne had no floodlights so you'd get a day off school on Wednesdays! .

Were you in Marion?

I remember when there was a bomb threat and my pals who went there excitedly telling me about the thrill of being evacuated and sent home early. I was jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back