Ireland vs The Rock, Kaiser Wilhelm (1 Viewer)

Richie

Ireland squad for Gibraltar and Germany:

GK: Forde, Westwood, Elliot
DF: Keogh, Wilson, O'Shea, Pearce, Clark, Ward, Lenihan
MF: Hendrick, Whelan, Gibson, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Brady, Quinn, Meyler, Hoolahan
FW: Walters, Keane, Long, Murphy, Doyle, Stokes

McCarthy, Coleman and Given are out injured.. Brian Lenihan a 20-year old right-back who joined Hull a month ago from Cork City is in.

Gibraltar did manage draws with Slovakia and Estonia and a win over Malta in friendlies earlier this year but they lost 7-0 in their first competitive 'home' game against Poland last month and it's a country with the population of Bray and 2 pro players.. You'd imagine that if ever we're going to get a chance to run the score up, this'll be it. The biggest score I can remember seeing Ireland win by is 5-0 (against Turkey in 1991, and the same against San Marino under Stan), could be a chance to top that if Robbie wants to rack up a load of pointless goals.

Robbie scored his first goals for Ireland against Malta in a 5-0 at lansdowne. Some cunt stood up in front of me when he curled in his second. Cunt. I hit him hard. He wasn't from Cork. The beard told me to do it.

I was going to go with Rommel yesterday, but I'm glad Richie took up the reins.

Fair play for bringing in Lenihan, no-one saw that coming.

Thread title should obviously be

Ireland vs. SPECIAL BRANCH, HITLER

Special Branch could work.. we did Hitler against Austria though right? Who would we pick to represent Ireland if we were from somewhere else?

I was going to go with Rommel yesterday, but I'm glad Richie took up the reins.

Fair play for bringing in Lenihan, no-one saw that coming.

Can't say I've seen him play but regular LOI observers reckon he's in with a shot of being the 'next Coleman', long way to go yet obviously. Delaney misses out again, wonder if it goes back to his time under Keane at Ipswich..

Can't say I've seen him play but regular LOI observers reckon he's in with a shot of being the 'next Coleman', long way to go yet obviously. Delaney misses out again, wonder if it goes back to his time under Keane at Ipswich..

It's possible, although Keane seems repentant in his new book of his treatment of Delaney. I think it's more an age issue - they're looking more to the long term and DD ain't it. Of course they'd bring in the likes of Dunne, but Delaney is not that much better than Pearce etc and isn't going to get any better.

I think we can get a point in Germany, Scotland were unlucky not to. They have some important players like Lahm (retired) Schweinsteiger (Injured), Reus (injured)..maybe this is the time to catch them. It will be very difficult and a lot depend on Martin's team selection. If he plays the same system and players that he used against Georgia then forget about it. Hopefully, he will have learned loads from that game.

I think we can get a point in Germany, Scotland were unlucky not to. They have some important players like Lahm (retired) Schweinsteiger (Injured), Reus (injured)..maybe this is the time to catch them. It will be very difficult and a lot depend on Martin's team selection. If he plays the same system and players that he used against Georgia then forget about it. Hopefully, he will have learned loads from that game.

Germany do have a bit of an injury crisis and with any luck Poland will knock a few more lumps out of them, though realistically us missing Coleman and McCarthy is equivalent to them missing about 8 players.. With Coleman out we've a serious fullback shortage, Lenihan is hardly likely to get thrown in there and O'Shea can't really play that position any more so it's between Wilson, Clark and Ward, all potential weak points. If we try to copy Scotland's approach then we'll need pace up front - Long and McClean are all we've got in that department really, maybe McGeady, I don't think Brady or Pilkington are exactly speed demons.

With Coleman out we've a serious fullback shortage, Lenihan is hardly likely to get thrown in there and O'Shea can't really play that position any more so it's between Wilson, Clark and Ward, all potential weak points.

Meyler would be the most likely to play right back, Ward left back and O'Shea and Wilson in the middle.

I don't see the issue lads, we've got an internationally-experienced right-back who currently plays Premier League football just dying to step in and fill Coleman's shoes

paulmcshaneireland.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back