Ireland vs some Sultan or other, Stalin (1 Viewer)

Absolute bollocks. Maybe you could do a dossier on Shane Long, Kevin Doyle or AN Other's record against big teams over the last 4 years.

Yeah they'll all have shite records there too, but the likes of Long and particularly Doyle contribute a lot more in terms of winning the ball and giving us something to build on.
When we don't have the ball, Robbie just stands around the half-way line moaning at the ref.
If I was an international defender I'd love to play against Keane, he has not much pace and fuck all strength. Playing against Doyle would be a pain in the hole.

Yeah they'll all have shite records there too, but the likes of Long and particularly Doyle contribute a lot more in terms of winning the ball and giving us something to build on.
When we don't have the ball, Robbie just stands around the half-way line moaning at the ref.
If I was an international defender I'd love to play against Keane, he has not much pace and fuck all strength. Playing against Doyle would be a pain in the hole.
I'd imagine Long really is like playing against a hurler. We need a Frank Lampard type from midfield.

I can't remember who it was, but some Premier League defender said Keane was the most awkward striker he'd ever played against, because he had no recognizable pattern to his play, his runs and decision making just seemed random. This was at Keane's peak, mind you..

I think there's still a role for him in the team for this campaign at least (and the 1 in 4 goal ratios of the other lads dictates that there has to be) but it has to be either with a traditional strike partner against the weaker sides or else a withdrawn role, playing him up front on his own like on Sunday is just pointless. Hopefully somebody else who can actually put the chances away emerges over the next couple of years.

I can't remember who it was, but some Premier League defender said Keane was the most awkward striker he'd ever played against, because he had no recognizable pattern to his play, his runs and decision making just seemed random. This was at Keane's peak, mind you..
That was probably Aiden McGeady. Who managed to stop Keane at his peak scoring many times by trying to play a cross to where he probably should have been.

That or hit the first defender.

I'd say the two centre-backs from Gibralter can't wait, alright.

Robbie usually scores against teams like this lot. He is getting a lot of stick on this thread but people are forgetting about the experience he brings to the side. He can still be an important player if used sparingly and as some sort of impact sub. He doesn't have the sharpness to start a game, leave that to Long. Shane Long is one of the best hold up strikers around and wrecks defenders heads with his buzzy way of playing.

Robbie usually scores against teams like this lot. He is getting a lot of stick on this thread but people are forgetting about the experience he brings to the side. He can still be an important player if used sparingly and as some sort of impact sub.

Em, that's what almost everyone's saying, except Mood for Mallards who believes Robbie is immortal.

Em, that's what almost everyone's saying, except Mood for Mallards who believes Robbie is immortal.

He is not getting the respect he deserves. people here are dissing him and forgetting his past contributions all too quickly.

Last edited:
He is not getting the respect he deserves. people here are dissing him and forgetting his past contributions all too quickly.
No i think yu'll find that his past contributions to club and country have all been as part of a partnership. Him and Berbatov scored fuck loads between them, him an Niall Quinn were massive at international level, him and Doyle looked great for a while even now he plays up front beside a big lad at LA Galaxy and regularly tops the scoring and assists charts. But he can't play up front on his own and unless we find a position for him it's not going to work.

The game has changed it used to be all about 4-4-2 and partner ships running up the spine of the team but now it's all about pockets of threes

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever all little diamonds and at the front and back of those diamonds you need one lad with pace and power and one who can pick a pass, whether that's your holding midfielder/centre half diamond or your front man number ten wide man diamond or whatever. Keane can't play up top alone it's just not his game. It's not unfair to criticise him it would be like moving Matt Le Tiss to left back. Or Pirlo to number 10. It's just not going to work.

Did you ever kick a ball in your life Mr Barry Norman?
Yup, several Leinster senior league medals, two cup medals, A dislocated hip, 10 broken fingers, eight broken toes, one degraded ACL, a hamstring basically made of cheese, a broken nose, several chipped teeth and a briefly held club record for sendings off to prove it.

Ha the Sergio Ramos of Tallaght!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back