Ireland vs The Rock, Kaiser Wilhelm (1 Viewer)

It was Albanian guy who was messing with the flag
It was Mitrovic, wasn't it?

In fact:
1413318380135_Image_galleryImage_Stefan_Mitrovic_of_Serbia.JPG

Inspired montage music by RTE at the end though - fair dues!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I read it properly: "let's not get carried away, on the other hand watch me get carried away".

I'd have to disagree with you on Hendrick, as are most people. He was good when he came on. He strolled it against Gibraltar - I wouldn't read much into that.
Hardly getting carried away to say 4 points against the two main rivals and we could win the group. That would have been the target anyway.

I don't think that'll happen by the way I think ourselves, Scotland and Poland will match each other point from here on out, probably all of the games ending in score draws I wonder what the odds are on that?

Germany will win the rest of their games and Poland will go through on account of their 3 points against Germany.

I was at the Gibraltar game, Hendrick didn't impress me. His movement when showing for the ball from the back wasn't great, he played it backwards a lot and against Germany I didn't think he did a whole lot. Either way I wouldn't have him ahead of McCarthy or Hoolahan.

I was at the Gibraltar game, Hendrick didn't impress me. His movement when showing for the ball from the back wasn't great, he played it backwards a lot and against Germany I didn't think he did a whole lot. Either way I wouldn't have him ahead of McCarthy or Hoolahan.

As you say yourself, one game doesn't make a player - sure we all know you've a horrendous track record when it comes to writing players off early anyway!
He has been solid for Ireland overall, and although I wouldn't have him in the first 11 either, he's one for the future.

Here's a good analysis of the game, and put down of the godawful RTE panel
Opinion: Eamon Dunphy is the 'joke', not O'Neill's team selection - Independent.ie

We should have received a good thrashing last night only for Forde in goal. We were shit until Whelan was replaced by Gibson and Hoolahan came on. Then there was a big improvement in our play..Dunphy was spot on. Incidentally the bookies have us at 4/5 to qualify while Scotland are 7/4. I'm fairly confident that we will qualify and I think it will be between us and Scotland for second spot. Poland always flatter to deceive, I can see them screwing up in Georgia.

As you say yourself, one game doesn't make a player - sure we all know you've a horrendous track record when it comes to writing players off early anyway!
He has been solid for Ireland overall, and although I wouldn't have him in the first 11 either, he's one for the future.

Here's a good analysis of the game, and put down of the godawful RTE panel
Opinion: Eamon Dunphy is the 'joke', not O'Neill's team selection - Independent.ie

Me ? Who did I write off ?

Oh yeah okay......

Gibson and McGeady I got wrong but they're playing well enough now and fair play to them (Although Gibbo still can't run and McGeady's final ball still isn't good enough, jesus I do sound like a broken record, or fixed groove.)

I got Sammon, Ward, the Hunt brothers and McShane right so we'll call that a draw. Anyway Hendrick might improve. He's young, playing under McClaren at Derby, not sure if that's the best place for him but I tipped them for promotion earlier so hopefully they get to the premiership.

My problem with players like him is that at 22 you kind of want them to show you a bit more. i mean he was playing Gibraltar, passing it backwards over and over against Italy or Brazil, okay it's not ideal but needs must. Gibraltar though ? Anyway you're right it's way too soon to write him off and I'm not doing that just yet but I'm not singing his praises either.

We should have received a good thrashing last night only for Forde in goal. We were shit until Whelan was replaced by Gibson and Hoolahan came on. Then there was a big improvement in our play..Dunphy was spot on.
Whelan was replaced by Hendrick. It was when Whelan got taken off that we actually lost a bit of composure, and had he stayed on and been doing what he was doing he'd likely have closed Kroos down. Gibson came on for Keane, which could partly have been to compensate as Hendrick is not so defensive. In truth, the transformation only occurred after Germany scored. Then Gibson, Hendrick and co went for it.
But Whelan was sent out to do a job and you couldn't really fault his contribution, and the plan was working till he got injured. Had we played from the start like we did after they scored, we'd likely have been 2 or 3 down by half time and game over. Credit to O'Neill - the gameplan was sound.

Whelan was replaced by Hendrick. It was when Whelan got taken off that we actually lost a bit of composure, and had he stayed on and been doing what he was doing he'd likely have closed Kroos down. Gibson came on for Keane, which could partly have been to compensate as Hendrick is not so defensive. In truth, the transformation only occurred after Germany scored. Then Gibson, Hendrick and co went for it.
But Whelan was sent out to do a job and you couldn't really fault his contribution, and the plan was working till he got injured. Had we played from the start like we did after they scored, we'd likely have been 2 or 3 down by half time and game over. Credit to O'Neill - the gameplan was sound.

Actually the more I think about it the more I tend to agree with you. That result was fucking awesome no matter which way you slice it and credit must go to O'Neill.

I'm somewhere in between this viewpoint and the moaners at RTE.. The defensive side of the gameplan worked, but I think we could have done the containment thing and also had a go at them a few times earlier in the game, if the setup had been tweaked. Keane and McGeady had very little impact for the first 70 minutes, the strategy to use the ball when we actually had it didn't work.. On a side note, could McClean have the makings of a decent left back? Got the pace and managed some fine tackles the other night at least..

I'm somewhere in between this viewpoint and the moaners at RTE.. The defensive side of the gameplan worked, but I think we could have done the containment thing and also had a go at them a few times earlier in the game, if the setup had been tweaked. Keane and McGeady had very little impact for the first 70 minutes, the strategy to use the ball when we actually had it didn't work..
The gameplan worked, but I agree not all the players. For me it's Long against the tough teams and Keane for the easy ones. I'd keep McGeady on the wing and rotate the third midfielder between Hoolahan and ANother. McCarthy and Gibson as mainstays, provided Gibson gets his foot back in the door at Everton.

On a side note, could McClean have the makings of a decent left back? Got the pace and managed some fine tackles the other night at least..

Cue Cormcolash - "I SAID THAT I SAID THAT!"

You also noted the wetness of water and the blueness of sky.

Yeah well... they are like.

I'm somewhere in between this viewpoint and the moaners at RTE.. The defensive side of the gameplan worked, but I think we could have done the containment thing and also had a go at them a few times earlier in the game, if the setup had been tweaked. Keane and McGeady had very little impact for the first 70 minutes, the strategy to use the ball when we actually had it didn't work.. On a side note, could McClean have the makings of a decent left back? Got the pace and managed some fine tackles the other night at least..
The gameplan worked, but I agree not all the players. For me it's Long against the tough teams and Keane for the easy ones. I'd keep McGeady on the wing and rotate the third midfielder between Hoolahan and ANother. McCarthy and Gibson as mainstays, provided Gibson gets his foot back in the door at Everton.

Cue Cormcolash - "I SAID THAT I SAID THAT!"

Ha ha I said that too!!!

When I said we shouldn't get carried away I was kind of referring to what you're talking about. We conceded 9 against them last time,

9 !!!!

Like c'mon what do people want ? Glenn Whelan is not going to turn into Zidane and there's nothing wrong with that. Whelan is not the problem either. Every team has a Whelan, most are better than him, fine but c'mon surely we all know what's going on when we hear the words Mourinho and Mikel in the same sentence. It's always been that way Remember Ancelotti ? I mean great manager but as a player he was footballing ebola when they got 1-0 up. Rijkaard, Koemann etc. Lets not kid ourselves Morman fucking Hunter ? Souness ? Peter Reid ? Even Pep had Masch and Busquettes. There are loads of ways to play football. Under Trap we played The Wrong Way on principal. That was plan A and it was fucking bullshit. But this, this is pragmatic. O Niell's no fool.

Getting a point is massive. It would have been nice to go out and do what Scotland did and get a point but we have to be realistic.

We know where we're weak and thankfully O Neill does too. Scotland are reasonably strong up front and poor at the back, we're a lot stronger than I thought we would be at the back but toothless up front, Poland are probably the most balanced and that's what we're up against.

And Germany are the champions of the fucking world!!!!

Germany will still probably win the group and in the grand scheme of things that's for the best hopefully they give one of our direct rivals an absolute hiding to make our goal difference even better.

We could still win it if they slip up again and we stick to our plan. If we play like that away in Poland and Scotland and come away with points on the board then go out and attack them in front of a full house in Dublin are we really going to complain ? That's what Fergie, Jose and Ancelotti would do and they've got CL titles up the fucking wazoo. Only Martinez and Rodgers would go 2-2-6 and either miss out by a point or get fucking relegated and yes that's great craic but it puts fucking years on you.

I can't believe I read all that. I've stuff to be doing.
I can't believe you liked it!!!

Sorry I left one thing out.

I meant to say (in the second/third paragraph there the one about Scotland being a reverse Mullet with all the party up front) we played to our strengths. Scotland did that too. There's no fucking way they could have done what we did. Not a chance, in fact they actually did try it for 30 minutes and they were getting run ragged. They played to their strengths second half and their front 4 moved around so much Boateng and Hummels were fucking bamboozled.

Yes that was better to watch but guaranteed if they do that against us and lose 3-0 their media won't be saying "Fair play you did your best" either.

It's all about pragmatism in those sorts of games where your up against a better side. We did well but learned about as much as against Gibraltar. the real tests are yet to come. it's a great bonus point.

That is all.

get back to work Hector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back