Ireland v Wales (2 Viewers)

That is actually a pretty good lineup, the Green\Gibson position aside. Quite looking forward to this now. Actually, if you could surgically combine Green's manic effort rate and Gibson's ball skills you might end up with a pretty decent player. The James McCarthy repeat withdrawal situation is slightly concerning, though I can understand why Wigan want to keep him to themselves seeing as he could be the difference between them going down or not.

Shay Given
John O’Shea, Sean St. Ledger, Richard Dunne, Ciaran Clark
Seamus Coleman, Glen Whelan, Green/Gibson, Damien Duff
Jon Walters, Kevin Doyle

That central midfield is a genuine worry. Does McCarthy ever play in central midfield for Wigan ?

I thought that was his position alright, fairly sure it is
Whelan is a good player as long as he has someone good alongside him, it's getting someone good beside him that's the problem

Gibson's actually not as bad as he's cracked up to be. Competent player, no more or less. Tends to get extra stick because any game he plays for United is in a midfield that's never played together before or on the wing or something.

baby steps lads, this trap. change takes an ice age.
walters isn't very good, is he?

Not to my knowledge anyway. Journeyman who's still on the fringe of the Stoke team.
But these things are for testing the marginal players, so why the hell not.
Still think Stokes is being very hard done by mind.

I take back anything I said along the lines of this being the Zenith Data Systems international plate.

I liked Duffer's interview post match. He called the thing the Aviva Cup and wasn't sure if it was 2 or 3 points for a win.

Wales were fairly dire, though in fairness their only good players all withdrew.. Workmanlike stuff from Ireland but a couple of nice goals at least and won at a canter. Gibson did alright but himself & Whelan didn't exactly run the show. Good to see Duffer on the score sheet, how long is it since his last goal? Clark looks like he could manage at left back. Coleman did okay but will probably make way for McGeady or Lawrence for the Macedonia game.

I don't understand the FAI's ticket price policy for these kind of games, surely they end up with the same profit if they charge half the price and fill the stadium, like they did for the FAI Cup final (with the added bonus of a much better atmosphere, more punters spending cash in the stadium & local area etc) instead of a half empty Aviva with acres of green seats making it look even more like the mickey mouse 'tournament' it is. I'm sure N-Iron vs Scotland tomorrow will be like a morgue..

That should've been 15-20 quid tonight and a tenner tomorrow night max. I would've gone anyway. €35 and €50 for tonight is just insane. And that's reduced from 50 and 75!!! Madness.

Dire first half, Wales are absolute muck without their few good players. I'd worry though that we were also shite in the first half and we were close to full strength.

I take back anything I said along the lines of this being the Zenith Data Systems international plate.

I liked Duffer's interview post match. He called the thing the Aviva Cup and wasn't sure if it was 2 or 3 points for a win.

do you not remember when Jack Charlton took over Ireland and almost immediately they won some tournament in Iceland. The celebrations were pretty wild after that. I can see this being something similar.

Jack Charlton's Wikipedia page said:
In May 1986, Ireland won the Iceland Triangular Tournament in Iceland in Charlton's fourth game in charge.

5 and a half years since the duffer's last goal. not part of his game, really.

I thought Walters did alright last night actually, in a old school terrier-type of way. Not a bad option to have as an impact sub I think.
[[I'm keeping things in perspective here. No need to mention we lack a Zico]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back