Today FM V Phantom FM (1 Viewer)

I dont know if they do,but there is some right garbage on heavy enough rotation....so I would suspect yes.

I know this cos my missus tunes in....

In fairness, some of their presenters seem to play what they want - Pearl, Jim Carroll, James midnight to 2.00 am on Sat night/ Sunday morning. The rest is pretty much playlisted, as far as I can see. I'd say it depresses the presenters greatly.

I dont know if they do,but there is some right garbage on heavy enough rotation....so I would suspect yes.

I know this cos my missus tunes in....

Well ok, but what should a (music) radio station do these days? People have unlimited access to music already so should they be trying to break new bands only or should they be playing old stuff? Should a DJ just play his music collection,'here's what I like in an order I think is good', or should shows actually have themes?

I mean, I generally wouldn't get into bands via the radio anymore, it's been literally about ten years since I last did that.

What would you like to hear Shneaky?

In fairness, some of their presenters seem to play what they want - Pearl, Jim Carroll, James midnight to 2.00 am on Sat night/ Sunday morning. The rest is pretty much playlisted, as far as I can see. I'd say it depresses the presenters greatly.

I see. A heavily playlisted song would put me off an artist I like fairly quickly i'd imagine

I would be in favour of the Djs playing whatever they liked themselves...I think you'd soon sort the wheat from the chaf quality wise.

TBH I would like it if they threw the lot on...new bands,old bands different genres you name it.....as long as the quality is high and not just the same generic sounding guff the whole time.

If I want to hear generic sounding guff I can go to band practice....../

i suppose if your going to bother having people play records and talk in between then you might as well let them play what they like themselves, that way the shows would have a bit of individual character and the presenters could be a bit more naturally gushing.

It's because there is such unlimited access to music these days, that I would like to see radio stations up their standards and make it worth the listeners while tuning in. I need a guide!

Well ok, but what should a (music) radio station do these days? People have unlimited access to music already so should they be trying to break new bands only or should they be playing old stuff? Should a DJ just play his music collection,'here's what I like in an order I think is good', or should shows actually have themes?

I mean, I generally wouldn't get into bands via the radio anymore, it's been literally about ten years since I last did that.

What would you like to hear Shneaky?

I see. A heavily playlisted song would put me off an artist I like fairly quickly i'd imagine

i suppose if your going to bother having people play records and talk in between then you might as well let them play what they like themselves, that way the shows would have a bit of individual character and the presenters could be a bit more naturally gushing.

I remember reading an article in the Sunday Times I think a year or two ago saying that radio was too much like this (RTE specifically). Far too many shows that are just 'general culture' with a DJ/presenter opining inbetween and not enough focus on a specific theme or issue. You know, Gerry Ryan (RIP) followed by Ryan Tubridy followed by whoever and none of them have any specific focus, just 'Here I am, with my opinions on...... everything'. They start to become indistinguishable after a while and people don't tune in because they have no idea what to expect.

I dunno, I was fairly convinced by it at the time.....

Thats exactly what I want to hear.People TURNING me on to sounds,

It's because there is such unlimited access to music these days, that I would like to see radio stations up their standards and make it worth the listeners while tuning in. I need a guide!

Likewise...I spend the whole time checking out new music,its incredibly time consuming but there isnt really an alternative.

i dont think gerry ryan had much input into the music for his chatshow

was anyone else a fan of moloney after midnight? i used like his show, he played whatever the hell he wanted although it did tend to be a bit 70s, still thats no bad thing i suppose. last i heard of him he was playing celine dion in the afternoons on Q102. i imagine john kelly is a bit restrained by lyric fm's antipathy towards anything that might get the foot tapping. ronan collins is one of the few remaining djs who seem to play what they like, and maybe yer wan who's on after midnight. they can be trusted not to run too amok i suppose

I LOVED the days of John Kelly (Eclectic Ballroom) followed by Donal Dineen (Here Comes the Night) on Today FM about ten years ago. They pretty much played what they wanted and introduced me to so many new and old bands. Then John Kelly left and then they turfed Donal back to the midnight hour. I mailed my disappointment to Today FM. Willie O'Reilly mailed me back a very decent e-mail, saying that he felt my pain and that the decisions caused him much stress. He just couldn't compete with RTE (who had the licence fee) and that its advertisers untimately dictated what kind of music should be played. While John Kelly and Donal Dineen had significant numbers of loyal listeners, most people it seems, would rather listen to something else.

i dont think gerry ryan had much input into the music for his chatshow

the argument stands. Pity I can't remember most of it

IHe just couldn't compete with RTE (who had the licence fee) and that its advertisers untimately dictated what kind of music should be played. While John Kelly and Donal Dineen had significant numbers of loyal listeners, most people it seems, would rather listen to something else.

maybe thumped should start advertising

the ray foley show is may favourite radio show these days - take that thumped. previously john kelly on lyric. downtown radio (only available in nordieland) pretty much plays an insane multi decade mix of great obscure pop on a saturday night.

We should send a hours playlist into 4fm, see if the run with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back