The Road (1 Viewer)

I cried at The Road too. I feel a little better about it now.

I read that in a brilliant run of enjoyable books that really hit me in different ways:
Maus
The Road
Absurdistan

I read it after reading Heat (we are all heading for environmental catastrophe), and then John Gray's "Straw Dogs" (humans are basically animals and will behave as such at the drop of a hat). Put me in a bad mood for most of last Summer.

I cried at The Road too. I feel a little better about it now.

I read that in a brilliant run of enjoyable books that really hit me in different ways:
Maus
The Road
Absurdistan
maus is one of the most affecting things i've ever read. i definitely got a little emotional at the end of that. then i started it again immediately. absurdistan sounds interesting. might check it out.

Great book. Just read it the other day.
Very hard to see how it could be translated well to film, but if it's as close / faithful an adaption as "No country for old men" then it could be quality. So long as they keep the spit-baby, the cellar and all the other grim shit and don't Ron Howard it up. If it's bleak like "The Proposition" we're in with a chance. Duvall will be great as the old blind man.

[COLOR=#000000][B][URL="http://www.imdb.com/user/ur11085060/boards/profile/ said:
creatorof2002[/URL] [/B] [/COLOR], post: 1103950"]i had an even better idea for an ending. The family should have taken the boy to a "sanctuary" of sorts a small community of a few dozen survivors who had some animals and a rudimentary garden where veggies were growning with the aid of a greenhouse, a last remnant of civilization, and in the group would be other children to play with.

I do not think insects count as "animals" because I think i saw the boy and his dad eating insects earlier in the film. It is also possible that "no animals" surviving means no WILD animals, some humans survived so its possible that DOMESTIC animals could have been kept alive. Maybe small animals like rats should have survived for this story so the characters could eat rat meat.

i :heart: the imdb forums.

I really enjoyed the book but in retrospect it was a bit mad the way they kept stumbling on amazing resources when they needed them. McCarthy's style wins the day but the plot is a bit ropey

Just saw the film. I thought it was spectacular: scene after scene of unrelenting grey, hopeless and hopeful eyes, a red Coke can, a stapler. That said, I haven't read the book and most of the reviews I've read come down to "it's not as good as the book".

i just saw it too. In fairness, when was any film better than the book? Jaws? I thought the book was amazing and quite enjoyed the film. I'd be interested to see how it carrys for someone who doesn't have the book in their heads when they go in.

Saw this last night and really liked it. The wife hasn't read the book and she loved it. Interestingly, there were only about 10 people there (8.30 on a Sunday night in the Screen)

Almost finished the audio book version. Tramped home through the snow on Friday after listening for 2 hours, got home and wanted to feed the kids and order some Ray Mears books.

Just home from watching it...

It was pretty good...

It didn't seem as hard hitting as the book.

The Oldman was very different from what I remember as well as the memories of the wife being a bigger part..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back