The Road (1 Viewer)

if i was directing this there'd be no music and it would be shot on digital and i'd introduce a talking dog character

Chaos Reigns......

I saw this on Saturday and really enoyed it, Viggo was awesome, the sets and bleakness were just as I pictured them apart fro mthe fact that I thought there'ds be more ash on everything.

It's odd, the book made me very sad but the movie not so much. For some reason I was finding it hard to separate the fact that it was Viggo. I suppose it was because the book was so anonymous with no names. It's weird normally I wouldn't have a problem and it's not as if he didn't fit what I had in my head. It just didn't hit me as much as the book. Beautifully shot and acted though.

I agree that the music seemed inappropriate.

Excellent film overall, looked just at should, acted correctly, kid too healthy and not skinny enough to say "we look skinny". However, he did a good job. Also, in the book, did the kid really complain when his dad shot back at someone who had just fired an arrow into his leg? I don't remember. That was the only time the child annoyed me.

Can't remember or figure out the significance of the missing thumbs, it's taxing me.

Ending definitely more optimistic in the movie.

Over.

Can't remember or figure out the significance of the missing thumbs, it's taxing me.

see the road is a metaphor for life- to get form A to B we hitchhike, using our thumbs

so to convey the futility of existence they cut off their thumbs

yes, it's a rubbish theory

For some reason I was finding it hard to separate the fact that it was Viggo. I suppose it was because the book was so anonymous with no names. .
i agree with this. having well known faces was really distracting. when robert duvall came along you could see all the film geeks in the theatre looking at each other and smirking. this dude would have been my choice for the father. in fact he should be in every film ever. what a face!
michael_shannon_20090202.jpg

having said that, viggo was tremendous. the kid was a douche. i would have eaten him long ago.

The quality of the writing provokes the emotional response that we the people had when reading The Road together.
The film, no matter how well made, can't replicate that so it's unfortunate that it has to be judged against the book.

I didn't know it was Robert Duvall until the credits.

viggo mortenson is as ugly as that guy. viggo looks like an insect

Nah, Viggo is a fine looking man. He has the cleft chin, which by default is sexy in my book. The again, I've liked him since that murder flick with Gwyneth and Michael Douglas. The one where he was the painter. He's got nice hands and they were always covered in paint. Hot, Hot, Hot. Plus, he painted all those canvases in the movie and has his own printing press in his house.

I really didn't need to see the ribs on him in the Road. Yuck.

fucking hell, he does a lot of stuff

Bibliography

Mortensen is also an author, with various books of poetry, photography, and painting published. His bibliography includes:

• Ten Last Night — (1993), his first collection of poetry.
  • Recent Forgeries — (1998), ISBN, 5th Edition, documents Viggo's first solo exhibition and includes a CD with music and spoken-word poetry. Introduction by Dennis Hopper.
  • Errant Vine — (2000), limited edition booklet of an exhibit at the Robert Mann Gallery.
  • Hole in the Sun — (2002, ISBN), color and black & white photographs of a back yard swimming pool.
  • SignLanguage — (2002 ISBN), a catalog from an exhibition of his works, combining photographs, paintings, and poetry into a multimedia diary of his time in New Zealand while filming The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Introduction by Kevin Power.
  • Coincidence of Memory — (2002, ISBN Third Edition. In this book, the artist combines photographs, paintings, and poems that cover his artistic output from 1978 to 2002.
  • Mo Te Upoko-o-te-ika/For Wellington — (2003), ISBN, a book to accompany the joint exhibitions at Massey University and the Wellington City Gallery during the premiere of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
  • 45301 — (2003), ISBN. Abstract images, fragments, and phrases from poems comprise this photography book. Many of the photographs were shot during travels to Morocco, Cuba, and the northern plains of the United States.
  • Un hueco en el sol — (2003), a small booklet published to accompany the exhibition "Un hueco en el sol" at the Fototeca de Cuba in Havana. In Spanish.
  • Miyelo — (2003), ISBN-X), a series of panoramic photographs of a Lakota Ghost Dance. It also tells about the events leading up to the massacre at Wounded Knee.
  • Nye Falsknerier - (2003). Paintings and poems translated into Danish from Ten Last Night, Recent Forgeries, Coincidence of Memory.
  • The Horse is Good — (2004), ISBN, a photography book, partly shot during his work on the film Hidalgo, about horses as partners, teachers, and fellow travelers. Images from Morocco, South Dakota, Montana, California, Iceland, New Zealand, Denmark, Brazil, and Argentina. This book reflects Mortensen's fondness for horses. In fact, he bought Uraeus—the horse who played Brego, Aragorn's steed (Roheryn in the books) in The Lord of the Rings movies—as well as TJ, one of the horses who played Hidalgo. He also purchased the stallion that played Arwen's horse, a grey Andalusian stallion named Florian, and gave it to the stunt woman, Jane Abbott, who rode the horse in place of Liv Tyler.
  • Linger - (2005). In this book, the artist combines black and white photographs and prose poems. Images from Spain (partly shot during his work on the film Alatriste), Morocco, Iceland, United States, Denmark…
  • I Forget You For Ever - (2006). Texts and photographs.
  • Skovbo - (2008). Collection of photographs, poems (in English, Spanish and Danish) and quotes. The book is dedicated to Howard Zinn and Dennis Kucinich and functions as a companion to the photo exhibit Skovbo at the Reykjavik Museum of Photography (2008).
  • Sådanset - (2008). A small booklet published to accompany the exhibition Sådanset (October 18 - November 16, 2008) at the Palæfløjen in Roskilde (Denmark).

Viggo's discography includes:

does, eh, anyone have any of his albums?

hmm, the impression I got of him from watching those lord of the rings extras is that if he was anyone else he'd be a pretentious living joke, the things he says and does, but he pulls it off magnificently with humility and a general likeability. Total hero in those extras actually

Yes, that is the impression that I got. Those were my impressions.

The indian runner is an awful film though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back