Sonic Youth sign to Matador (1 Viewer)

Also, I don't get Times New Viking...

i love times new viking... but i find the matador album a bit difficult to listen to... they've fucked around with something in production that has just turned up the volume whilst clipping the sound or something... (does this make sense?)...

the first two siltbreeze albums sound much more organically noisy... sound more natural...

i love times new viking... but i find the matador album a bit difficult to listen to... they've fucked around with something in production that has just turned up the volume whilst clipping the sound or something... (does this make sense?)...

that's the only one i heard. i remember saying to twombstone "is it supposed to sound that bad...?"

production wise i mean...

i didn't think dirty was much cop when it came out, let alone now...
Dirty was the first Sonic Youth album i really got into so i'll always have a soft spot for it. But all their best stuff is pre-Geffen. By a mile.........

i'm not sure if people will agree, but i also find Goo to be pretty dated in places. i don't listen to it that often... even though there are a few crackers on there to be fair.

theres a lot of shite ould tunes on Goo alright, and dirty. EJT&NS was a bit ropey too but back on the right track. after that they got deadly again for a while. thats what gives me hope that sonic nurse and rather ripped dont mean that they've totally lost it. whats the story with that bass player from pavement? is he gone again? i hope kim plays more guitar - Female Mechanic Now On Duty was so good.

i loven that song they did with macauley culkin.

sunday. too many of those thurston chug rockers these days

i was listening to rather ripped the other night. its a great album, definite a generic buzz off their albums since murray st but thats not a bad thing. they've seemed to embrace tunes a bit more.
washing machine is a fucking gem of an album, probably my favourite along with daydream nation.

i was listening to rather ripped the other night. its a great album, definite a generic buzz off their albums since murray st but thats not a bad thing. they've seemed to embrace tunes a bit more.
washing machine is a fucking gem of an album, probably my favourite along with daydream nation.
becuz is such a savage song especially the end half

becuz is such a savage song especially the end half

that chord at the end is amazing. the instrumental section in the first half actually does sound like cats being strangled. panty lies and skip tracer have really strange riffs. and that jet engine business at the end of WM is incredible. and little touble girl is lovely.

Anyone read either of the two new Sonic Youth biographies? "Goodbye 20th Century" is enjoyable enough without going into too much depth about the musical contexts they operate in.
The review in The Wire was fairly spot on but came across as hilariously elitist, as if anyone could like Sonic Youth without also having a complete understanding and appreciation of modern 'avant-garde' music etc

Anyone read either of the two new Sonic Youth biographies? "Goodbye 20th Century" is enjoyable enough without going into too much depth about the musical contexts they operate in.
The review in The Wire was fairly spot on but came across as hilariously elitist, as if anyone could like Sonic Youth without also having a complete understanding and appreciation of modern 'avant-garde' music etc

I read this one and thought it was pretty good.

51Vwo6KbZqL._SS500_.jpg

As ever, with everything that she does whenever she opens her mouth Lydia Lunch seemed like a total fucking clown.

Just read that review this morning. Dave Keenan piece. Figures. Still I guess he was making the point that the books are of little use to SY nerds and don't even touch on the fact that here is a band who've embraced No Wave, MTV, free jazz and the cassette noise scene with ease...preferring to focus on their association with Sophia Coppola and Chloe Sevigny.

I haven't read any of the books in question.

Anyone read "The Empty Page - Fiction inspired by Sonic Youth"? I tried to read it, but after two stories I gave up. It seems that only shit authors are inspired by SY.

theres a lot of shite ould tunes on Goo alright, and dirty. EJT&NS was a bit ropey too but back on the right track. after that they got deadly again for a while. thats what gives me hope that sonic nurse and rather ripped dont mean that they've totally lost it. whats the story with that bass player from pavement? is he gone again? i hope kim plays more guitar - Female Mechanic Now On Duty was so good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nurse is a savage album. Every bit as good as Murray St. I can't believe it's getting lumped in together with Rather Ripped which is an extremely lazy record, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back