Sonic Youth sign to Matador (1 Viewer)

well that's told me! haha, we have this same argument everytime some mentions Sonic Youth. Do you really think Nurse is no better than Rather Ripped? Love the songs you mention, it's definitely a record for Kim fans alright. What about Pattern Recognition though? That breakdown in the middle! Best thing Jim O'Rourke did with the band imho

imho nurse is a lot better than rather ripped. rather ripped must be their worst ever album. nurse isnt awful or anything, its just a bit stock and unimaginative - treading water kinda thing (rather ripped is floundering badly...). yeah, pattern recognition is deadly, all downhill after that. i'd put murray street as the last album they did as a great band but i saw them 3 or 4 times around that time so maybe thats just when i got a bit tired of them. but maybe this run of bad albums is just that. lets stop provoking each other with controversial proclamations.

nycg&f has a few deadly things, streamXsonicsubway is shocking though.

Rather Ripped isn't bad at all.

It is very Thurston-chug heavy, but I'm not really much of a Kim fan anyway and love the chug. Just wish Lee had made more of an effort to help out, read somewhere he just did a few overdubs on it.

Suggest a track list. 14 songs....

a 'pop' best of might look something like this

1. Death Valley '69
2. Tom Violence
3. Star Power
4. Schizophrenia
5. Teen Age Riot
6. Eric's Trip (or maybe Hey Joni - token Lee song)
7/8/9. Trilogy
10. Kool Thing
11. Sugar Kane
12. Sunday
13. The Empty Page
14. Pattern Recognition

or they might do a Geffen Years comp, is that what Ian meant?

imho nurse is a lot better than nycg&f has a few deadly things, streamXsonicsubway is shocking though.

agreed, awful song. lightning is also horrendous

14 tune bestof? Off the top of my head.

1. Dirty Boots
2. Kool Thing
3. 100%
4. Sugar Kane
5. Winner's Blues
6. Sweet Shine
7. The Diamond Sea
8. Becuz
9. Hoarfrost
10. Free City Rhymes
11. Empty Page
12. Pattern Recognition
13. Unmade Bed
14. That Carpenter's Cover

This calls for a game of Sonic Youth Survivor...

Experimental Jet Set v EVOL
NYC Ghosts & Flowers v Sister
Sonic Nurse v Daydream Nation

Jesus, the old ones win every time there!

Sister is still my complete fave.

Jesus, the old ones win every time there!

Sister is still my complete fave.

Aye that's what I was tryin to say, I think it was Ian was suggesting that all their best stuff came out on Geffen.

Agreed about Sister.

That self title record that got the rerelease a couple of years back is really good, the dude from [ame="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=bvWf9djVg9c"]stranger than paradise[/ame] does some sweet jazzing drumming on a mix and match kit.
I think all their albums bar from the last two (nurse is good but compare to murrey st, fuck) and NYC Ghost and flowers (only two good songs on it, side2side and nevermine) are classics.

I envey anyone who hasnt digged deep in to their huge catalogue for the first time. I spend a good 4 years obsessing over them.

Also Lee hasn't done a good song since Karen Revisited back in 2001 and I would always look forward it his track.

Anyone read this?

51XPY2S9KHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The wife got it for me for christmas. Almost finished. Interesting stuff, but the author is a bit of a twat at times in his descriptive passages.

Anyone read this?

51XPY2S9KHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The wife got it for me for christmas. Almost finished. Interesting stuff, but the author is a bit of a twat at times in his descriptive passages.

Yeah I got it for myself for my birthday last year. Would mostly agree with you, the historical stuff about that band that I didn't know was interesting but the style of writing isn't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back