Sonic Youth sign to Matador (2 Viewers)

In my grumbly onion, I don't think Dirty has aged well at all. Find myself skipping most of it when ever I listen to it.

My Top 5 -

Sister
Daydream Nation
Evol
Washing Machine
Murray Street

I think they're my favourites too though I do tend to like some Sonic Youth albums when I only like half the tracks on them and other times I hold it against other albums.

For example - I think New York City Ghosts And Flowers is deadly because of three really great tracks (Free City Rhymes, title track, Small Flowers Crack Concrete) but tend to dislike Dirty cos there's so much meh on it, despite having a handful of belters.

Many of there albums are patchy. The shorter format of Murray Street really worked well. Seemed more focused and well structured than Sonic Nurse or Rather Ripped which are good in parts but often inspire a "meh."

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nurse is a savage album. Every bit as good as Murray St. I can't believe it's getting lumped in together with Rather Ripped which is an extremely lazy record, in my opinion.

well thats told me! I do love the arthur doyle handcream one and dude ranch nurse. if it wasnt for kim it'd be useless. her singing on i love you golden blue is lovely

well thats told me! I do love the arthur doyle handcream one and dude ranch nurse. if it wasnt for kim it'd be useless. her singing on i love you golden blue is lovely

well that's told me! haha, we have this same argument everytime some mentions Sonic Youth. Do you really think Nurse is no better than Rather Ripped? Love the songs you mention, it's definitely a record for Kim fans alright. What about Pattern Recognition though? That breakdown in the middle! Best thing Jim O'Rourke did with the band imho

I think Sonic Nurse has a lot more character than Rather Ripped altogether. Aside from the songs mentioned above there's the Lee song (name escapes me) and Unmade Bed. Nothing that good on Rather Ripped at all if you ask me.

find it bizarre anyone would rate any of the last 3 or so albums.buying them made me never get any sonic youth records again.

got a lend of that sonic death live/cut up cd recently though.
amazing.

Never really loved Evol. Some great tunes there but thought there was a lot of shite on it. It's not one I can sit all the way through.
I still think Daydream Nation, Dirty and at a stretch murray street are their most consistent albums.
Thought Sonic Nurse so very dull that i couldn't even work up the enthusiasm to listen to rather ripped.
I think there's enough good tunes on their major label output to put together one really good live album.
There's some great stuff on a thousand leaves. Hoarfrost is still one of my favourite ever songs. By any band.
bad moon rising has some great tunes on it.
and I don't think it really matters what label they're signed to, the fact is they've been playing essentially the same type of music for the last 3 decades. It's gonna be hard for them to produce anything really exciting at this stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back