Getting rid of vinyls (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
I posted a thread before about getting rid of CDs. In that case I was reaching storage limits and wasn't listening to CDs anymore.

This time its a bit different. I've just realised my record collection is a bit shit. I bought lots of shit when going through phases of liking stuff that I don't have much time for now. I also bought lots of stuff at gigs that I haven't even opened - nor have I the inclination to. I also have Swans LPs and fuck those pricks.

Have any of you done a big vinyls clearout? If so what did you do? Sell it? Give it away? Dump it?

I'm not limited on storage or anything but its like doing a big clothes clearout. When you get rid of stuff its a good excuse to buy new stuff, and I want an excuse to buy new stuff.

E&OE

An easy way to do it is to trade in. Especially if getting new stuff is part of the reason.

Most shops will give better credit against new purchases than if you just sold to them.

Certainly easier and quicker than selling Individually. But of course selling on discogs/eBay/lists on message boards will get you more money but then you will possibly have to post etc.

thanks, yeah, I'm so lazy when it comes to this stuff and I partly figure that, if I don't like this stuff anymore, no one else will either.

There's one record shop in Kilkenny. I haven't gone in to get to know them yet but it seems decent, and they have a decent sized second-hand section. But there's also a charity shop over the road from it and I've been offloading my old books there. So, dunno. Its not like I need the money or anything.

thanks, yeah, I'm so lazy when it comes to this stuff and I partly figure that, if I don't like this stuff anymore, no one else will either.

There's one record shop in Kilkenny. I haven't gone in to get to know them yet but it seems decent, and they have a decent sized second-hand section. But there's also a charity shop over the road from it and I've been offloading my old books there. So, dunno. Its not like I need the money or anything.

Spindizzy an option?

Donate to charity shop is probably best option alright.
I have lots of things I would happily give away - e.g. 90's 7"s that might be worth 2 or 3 Euro to right person but worthless to 99.9% plus of people.

Edit: Fixed typos - I think

would be curious how much the charoty shop would charge for them? i.e. could it be better all round if you sold them to the record shop and gave the money to the charity shop?
it's feasible the charity would get more money that way.

maybe split them?

a handful of ones that might be of value to nerds and musos like us and get you a better trade in value go to the record shop in kilkenny, the rest go to the charity shop to give someone a nice surprise..

I'd go with selling/ trading in.

If there is any extra money you could donate that to the charity of your choice.

Charity shops don't know how to price records and depending where it is they could sit there never sold and get binned. The chance of someone getting a bargain that they would appreciate is possibly slim as a lot of people buy from charity shops to resell.

Bring a handful to the record shop next time you visit and see what they give you. If happy bring the rest.

I'd go with selling/ trading in.

If there is any extra money you could donate that to the charity of your choice.

Charity shops don't know how to price records and depending where it is they could sit there never sold and get binned. The chance of someone getting a bargain that they would appreciate is possibly slim as a lot of people buy from charity shops to resell.

Bring a handful to the record shop next time you visit and see what they give you. If happy bring the rest.
good advice, thanks.

maybe I'll make a list of stuff and post it here. See what people think. Might make it easier to decide if any of it is worth anything or not, and hence, if its worth the effort to try and sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back