Restaurant Recommendations (2 Viewers)

aoifed said:
DIdn't he have rabbit sambwiches or something?

He had rabbit soup for his starter. Bleh.

p41.jpg

"NOOO!! Don't eat meeeee!"

kirstie said:
those places R amazing, totally deadly. You have to crawl home you're so full.

I give them 8.5/10

yup, super deadly. there's also a brilliant mostly-szechuan place on little mary st. beside slattery's called the jade palace. mmm, delicious reasonably-priced spicy goodness...

Acapulco in Good Service Shocker..... was in there last week and the food was really really good and the service was excellent. They were prompt, and sufficiently friendly.

They also serve one of the greatest foods on earth..... whole jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese. Good lord.

If you're ever out in Streatham in South London, go to the Wholemeal café - it's a cracking vegetarian restaurant. Best soups this side of Souptopia!

Soupendous and souper duper have a lot of catching up to do. You cant stand still for a minute in the soup business.

frona said:
Is that the bring-your-own-beer place? Probably not if you got a Tsing Tsao...
Anyway, the bring-you-own-beer Chinese on Moore Street is the best restaurant in the world! I had a veritable vegan feast in there last Saturday. And where else would they let a party of 31 sit together? Deadly place, and cheap, and it's next door to Lidl for the Lidl beer. Tis not often that I'm tempted to move to Dubland but that place could convince me. Yuuuuuuum...

There seems to be two restuarants on Moore St: one with lanterns outside and one without, the latter being the one closest to Lidl.

Which one is better?

Does the no-lantern one have korean/chinese or just chinese?

Can you bring your own beer/wine to either?

I'm going to one of these tomorrow, so would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

I went to the place with the lanterns on tuesday (didn't bring my own beer).

The staff were very friendly and I felt more relaxed than I thought I would. The menu was very long, so i did my usual roulette method of changing my mind at the last minute. I got fried lamb with ginger and shallots. It was a very big and tasty portion, although a little salty. I suppose 'fried' lamb isn't the best anyhow.

The place itself is quite basic, thereby reinforcing my innate middle class enjoyment of ethnic authenticity. I still felt nervous stepping out onto Moore st with my wimpy friend after dark.

I probably wouldn't go back to that particular restaurant in a mad hurry, as to be honest I like my restaurants european and posh; for some people though it might become a much-loved regular. My mate thought the places on Parnell St were better.

Was there on Friday night. Can't remember if there were lanterns but its the one right beside Lidl and called the China House. It's next door to where the Northern Palace used to be (think its the same place in a new premises).

Thought it was pretty good. There were three of us so we ordered Chinese style where you share a whole bunch of dishes. Very tasty and cheap. Had a sizzling beef thing that was so tender we thought it was chicken initially. A chicken/sweet and sour, some really spicy aubergine dish and some prawns. Yum yum.

Just so I get the chance to show off about how well travelled I am - it was comparable enough to the food I got in Shanghai when I was there the year before last. Not as good now but a lot better than the muck you usually get in Chinese places in Dublin ...

Just so I get the chance to show off about the fact that I know an actual Chinese person - we were with an actual Chinese person and he was happy enough with it. Though he is from Shanghai and said it was northern Chinese cooking and therefore has too much salt.

46 euros or so for the three of us + beer (though the beer wasn't up to much ... we asked for Tsing Tao but are convinved they only pretended they had it and gave us something else).

Overall = winner!

Pilchard said:
dunno if anyone else has mentioned this but Bombay Pantry have finally sorted out a northside place. they're opening up on philipsburg ave in fairview in the next few weeks. .|..|

wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

aoifed said:
Acapulco in Good Service Shocker..... was in there last week and the food was really really good and the service was excellent. They were prompt, and sufficiently friendly.
well it didn't last very fuckin long...last night went to acapulco for my birthday dinner..had a table booked for 8..the dude came over bout 8.10 and asked us were we ready to order..whille we were ordering he was just staring out the window and paying absolutely no attention to us..so he goes off and then comes back in about 5 minutes asking did he take our drinks order which he already had done..so 20 minutes later still no starters...another 20 minutes still no starters..the people beside us that had come in after us were already finished theres...so the boy goes up to the counter and tells the dude we hadnt gotten our starters and he just SHRUGGED!!!i mean fucks sake like...

so we're sittin down and e comes over and tells us that he hasnt put our orders in so its gonna be another while but we can have our starters for free..fair enough..not exactly ideal but everyone makes mistakes...so the starters come...all grand...main course comes..all grand..until after about 5 minutes after they came me and the boy were just chatting with our forks still in our hands and another girl comes over and asks us if we're finished..no thanks..5 minutes later she comes back again..no were not finished..grand..so then we were finished and she nearly fuckin breaks a leg runnin over to clear the table...so she asks if we want the bill and we said yes...20 minutes later she still hasnt brought it..so we asked for it again..it comes and the boy puts his credit card down on the plate thing..20 minutes later we just take the bill up to the till...

and for what i think is the 1st time ever we left absolutely no tip..not a penny..i honestly could not believe that service could be that bad..we were there for about 3 hours and spent about 45 minutes of that actually eating...ive been there a few times before and i love the food but ive never experienced anythin like that..

*sorry kids rant over*

:heart:love for valentines day:heart:

muffin said:
well it didn't last very fuckin long...last night went to acapulco for my birthday dinner..had a table booked for 8..the dude came over bout 8.10 and asked us were we ready to order..whille we were ordering he was just staring out the window and paying absolutely no attention to us..so he goes off and then comes back in about 5 minutes asking did he take our drinks order which he already had done..so 20 minutes later still no starters...another 20 minutes still no starters..the people beside us that had come in after us were already finished theres...so the boy goes up to the counter and tells the dude we hadnt gotten our starters and he just SHRUGGED!!!i mean fucks sake like...

so we're sittin down and e comes over and tells us that he hasnt put our orders in so its gonna be another while but we can have our starters for free..fair enough..not exactly ideal but everyone makes mistakes...so the starters come...all grand...main course comes..all grand..until after about 5 minutes after they came me and the boy were just chatting with our forks still in our hands and another girl comes over and asks us if we're finished..no thanks..5 minutes later she comes back again..no were not finished..grand..so then we were finished and she nearly fuckin breaks a leg runnin over to clear the table...so she asks if we want the bill and we said yes...20 minutes later she still hasnt brought it..so we asked for it again..it comes and the boy puts his credit card down on the plate thing..20 minutes later we just take the bill up to the till...

and for what i think is the 1st time ever we left absolutely no tip..not a penny..i honestly could not believe that service could be that bad..we were there for about 3 hours and spent about 45 minutes of that actually eating...ive been there a few times before and i love the food but ive never experienced anythin like that..

*sorry kids rant over*

:heart:love for valentines day:heart:

That sort of vague customer service is shit and you were right not to tip the cunts.

I hate being rushed to finish and then have a perversely long wait for the bill.

i've probably mentioned it before, but i think my favourite chinese restaurant in dublin at the mo is the jade palace, on little mary st (just next to slatterys on capel st.). we went there for the first time with the boy's chinese teacher, who likes her grub and often organizes "cultural outings" to restaurants for her students. it's mostly szechuan, so lots of spicy/garlicky/punchy flavours, and it's reeeeally nice. twice-cooked pork! crispy fried aubergines! ma po tofu! sea bass with ginger! also v. cheap and the staff are lovely. you do need to ask for the "chinese menu" to get the more interesting dishes, but it's all translated into english too.

there's also a pretty nice one just off moore st. called "the new place" (imaginative!), but the menu in english is really short/conventional irish chinese restaurant, and the other menu with all the good stuff is entirely in chinese - not v. handy if you don't have an actual native with you. though (thanks to these trips) i can now recognize the character for meat/pork - woo!

I had lunch in Roly's today. Still a great deal at €20 for three courses and coffee in a swanky bistro.

I had a roast vegetable salad to start. (If anyone knows a quick way to roast peppers, aubergines etc let me know - it makes them sweet and juicy - yum) main course was salmon fish cakes; dessert was bailey's and chocolate brownie cheesecake.

Food was very tasty, although they rely on a lot of cream, especially with the side orders of veg. Service is excellent and the atmosphere on a Friday is good, even if there are a few business lunches going on which might put some people off.

Meal came with free walk on sandymount strand afterwards, where i could fart off any undigested cream.

Spent the weekend in Belfast

Ate in three places.

Suburbia (part of Ramada hotel). Quiet. Had to walk around to an unoccupied table to get salt and pepper.
Waiter had glazed eyes when taking our order and (i) did not write it down or (ii) repeat it back to us.
Unsurprisingly I didn't get my starter nor did Wendy get her side order of chips. Maybe he thought that writing down orders was anal.
Mains were quite good considering.
Desserts backfired. A stale cheesecake for me while she had a blueberry and rhubarb crumble that was smothered in what tasted like a white wine sauce. As opposed to the advertised custard. Shockingly unprofessional.

Ruby Tuesdays. Plenty of charm. Perfect pancakes with apple and cinnamon. A king of omelettes containing cheese, bacon, onions and peppers was excellent. Service was friendly and competent.

Tatu. Buzzing. Very slick french onion soup to start with a divine sirloin of beef and dauphinoise potato combo for the main. Was stuffed afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back