KVM Switch (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Anyone here use one of these?

I never bothered as I was always able to do personal stuff on the work laptop. That is about to change with my company's new overlords, so I'm looking to get a switch so I can use headphones, keyboard, mouse, etc, on either my personal or work, at the same time.

Basically, looking for recommendations. They seem pricey enough.

the first thing that comes to mind would be just using a USB-C/thunderbolt hub (sorry - "DOCKING STATION") with the keyboard mouse & display connected to it. Then just swap the one cable between the two laptops.

I toyed with the idea of getting one but never did. My screens take DVI and VGA, so they're plugged into both computers, and I just switch keyboard/mouse/headphones by pulling out and plugging in the cables. Only takes 10 seconds
similar - i have one keyboard, one monitor, and two mice. i physically swap the keyboard over and just select which input on the monitor i want to use (if necessary - it automatically selects the correct one if only one system is powered on.

the first thing that comes to mind would be just using a USB-C/thunderbolt hub (sorry - "DOCKING STATION") with the keyboard mouse & display connected to it. Then just swap the one cable between the two laptops.
actually this same thing occurred to me after I started the thread. I use a USB-C dongle/hub/whateveryoucallthem and can just switch between the 2. But I use a bluetooth keyboard so that part won't work. The monitor HDMI cable is plugged into it too, and I just checked, it only has 1 input (fuckin cheapo yoke).

Thanks for the responses all. Loads of options and now I'm more confused than before, just in a different/better way.

actually this same thing occurred to me after I started the thread. I use a USB-C dongle/hub/whateveryoucallthem and can just switch between the 2. But I use a bluetooth keyboard so that part won't work. The monitor HDMI cable is plugged into it too, and I just checked, it only has 1 input (fuckin cheapo yoke).

Thanks for the responses all. Loads of options and now I'm more confused than before, just in a different/better way.
buy a €5 usb bluetooth receiver and plug that into the dock, then pair your bluetooth keyboard with that on both laptops.

A decent dock should have a couple of USB ports, HDMI, Display Port (and possibly mini display port too), and a network port too if that's your thing.

something like this or this

Last edited:
Actual KVM switches are ridiculously expensive. For a one-monitor set-up, a HDMI switcher should do it for the video, and a USB switcher for the peripherals. That’s my set-up (MacBook, PC and PS3 in the HDMI switcher, wireless mouse dongle in the keyboard and keyboard in the USB switcher).

buy a €5 usb bluetooth receiver and plug that into the dock, then pair your bluetooth keyboard with that on both laptops.

A decent dock should have a couple of USB ports, HDMI, Display Port (and possibly mini display port too), and a network port too if that's your thing.

something like this or this
I have those but with less ports. will look into that receiver for the keyboard. Curious how, if paired to both, what you type only appears on one or the other.

I have those but with less ports. will look into that receiver for the keyboard. Curious how, if paired to both, what you type only appears on one or the other.
Because the Bluetooth adapter is connected to the dock the keyboard will only ever be connected to one of the laptops at any given time.

Alternatively, lots of Bluetooth keyboards can be paired with and then switched between multiple devices. The two that I have can be anyway (a Logitech k780 & a Dierya 60% mechanical keyboard)

'KVM switch' sound way more manly than it is in reality.

I envisaged something like this from the title

k
Actual KVM switches are ridiculously expensive. For a one-monitor set-up, a HDMI switcher should do it for the video, and a USB switcher for the peripherals. That’s my set-up (MacBook, PC and PS3 in the HDMI switcher, wireless mouse dongle in the keyboard and keyboard in the USB switcher).
they're only €30 on ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back