• Repeal

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a nordie, but have been in dublin for 10+ years. I've had an Irish passport longer than that, and have been voting in everything since I moved down as far as I can remember. The register says you have to be a resident Irish citizen to vote in referendum or presidential elections. Whether you can just call yourself an Irish citizen, or actually need a passport to prove it, I dunno.

Its when embryos start passing 6 weeks. 9 weeks, 12 weeks that I feel very queezy.
12 weeks is usually the point where a woman is sure enough that she is not only pregnant but that the pregnancy is viable, so will tell family and friends. They don’t generally share the info before 12 weeks because the chance of a miscarriage is still quite high before 12 weeks. That is not to say that it is only a life from 12 weeks but pregnancy by its very nature is precarious in those early weeks.

The other thing is that although as men we think women have periods like clockwork and they definitely have them every month and that they have a spidey sense for when they are pregnant - they don’t. 12 weeks allows enough time for most women to know, to have time to decide and to act. Even at 12 weeks, it is not a sure thing to know. My wife was 18 weeks pregnant before we found out, she would have no course of action even under the proposed law if that was the decision she had to make.

12 weeks is still a conservative limit. Personally I think it is too conservative as there will always be tragic cases that will not fit with the proposed legislation.

I suppose I'm registered so if I can then my card will show up.

Other people have thought they were registered and when they checked found they weren't so you need to check

Today is the last day

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I recommend following this guy whichever side you are considering voting on if you are interested in data journalism in Ireland. He's been looking closely at the digital end of things for months.

I recommend following this guy whichever side you are considering voting on if you are interested in data journalism in Ireland. He's been looking closely at the digital end of things for months.

He is getting inordinate amounts of stick for pointing out that the no side seem to be having a better digital campaign, which they are, because they have more money. And he's not having a go at the yes campaign for not having as much money, it's just obviously true.

I "understand" (that is to say someone higher up in the foodchain told me) that yes have been stockpiling money for their digital spend in the last week or so

He is getting inordinate amounts of stick for pointing out that the no side seem to be having a better digital campaign, which they are, because they have more money. And he's not having a go at the yes campaign for not having as much money, it's just obviously true.

Yeah certainly seems to be some cognitive dissonance sauce arriving along with that new information sandwich.

For the record I think polls are bullshit.

I get phoned regularly to take part in them, i'm like about as politically aware as I can muster through work, and I generally just couldn't be fucked.

Also

The questions the polls report are not strictly identical to what they ask. Like in one I did (i've done about 10, ignored about 20) there were 15 questions and number 9ish was aimed at some particular politician. I immediately smelled a rat and either didn't answer or fucked up my answer, but sure enough, a week or two later the only header from that poll was 'politician x is seeing a reduction in support'.

Anyone can sponsor a poll, any list of questions can be asked, and any edit of answers can be brought to the public - and that is also regarding that huge majority of irish people are just going to get a cold call and say 'no thanks hectic life here buddy' or similar. the pooling company will have a finite number of people to phone and a feedback loop is just as possible.

BUT THE POLLS SAY THE THING WILL WIN.

The Eighth Archives - Headstuff
This is great. There's a very obvious and decent defence of the 12 week thing in the latest episode.

I don't know if it's been posted before, apologies if it has. If you're going for it, it's worth listening to the preamble episode. It gives you a flavour of what she's trying to do - it's very much in the spirit of this thread.

Hello all, I know someone mentioned they might like a few more women's point of view - and so, to add my voice to the women who have already contributed - it is that ultimately, for me, it is a private issue - and that issue has, over the decades, been confused by our complicated history with the Church. I really believe in the separation of Church and State, but we essentially replaced one occupying power with another all those years ago - and are still feeling the legacy of that.

I appreciate that people on the No side have their reasons, but for me, reason and logic should dictate a Yes vote, and bring our law in line with many other European countries.

I would like to try and help leave Ireland in a better state than I found it, and for me, repealing the 8th amendment is part of that. Of course, men have a voice, and huge connection, and that should not be glossed over, but the obvious fact remains that it is a woman's body, and I would be interested to see the debate and discourse, if men could carry a child.

Ireland is home, and I love my country - but it has been a pretty draining place to exist as a woman - repealing the 8th amendment is therefore, a very important, watershed moment, for many reasons.

Other people have thought they were registered and when they checked found they weren't so you need to check

Today is the last day

I'm registered,but because I'm stupid,I don't know what as.
Wouldn't be able to get to a Garda station today anyway.

That's only useful if you know if you are an irish citizen. I dont. I've never made any attempts to after being told I couldn't have an irish passport so would presume I am not.

Meanwhile

Facebook will not be accepting referendum related ads from advertisers based outside of Ireland
FACEBOOK DUBLIN·TUESDAY, 8 MAY 2018
Facebook will no longer be accepting ads related to the forthcoming referendum if they are from advertisers based outside of Ireland.
Concerns have been raised about organisations and individuals based outside of Ireland trying to influence the outcome of the referendum on the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution of Ireland by buying ads on Facebook. This is an issue we have been thinking about for some time.
Today, as part of our efforts to help protect the integrity of elections and referendums from undue influence, we will begin rejecting ads related to the referendum if they are being run by advertisers based outside of Ireland.
Our company approach is to build tools to increase transparency around political advertising so that people know who is paying for the ads they are seeing, and to ensure any organisation running a political ad is located in that country. We have already begun to roll out the first of our ads transparency tools in Ireland. Our view ads feature – which enables Irish Facebook users to see all of the ads any advertiser is running on Facebook in Ireland at the same time – has been fast tracked and is operational today.
The additional election integrity tools we are building include a verification process that requires the advertiser to be resident in the country where the election is taking place. What we are now doing for the referendum on the Eighth Amendment will allow us to operate as though these tools, which are not yet fully available, were in place today with respect to foreign referendum-related advertising. We feel the spirit of this approach is also consistent with the Irish electoral law that prohibits campaigns from accepting foreign donations.
This change will apply to ads we determine to be coming from foreign entities which are attempting to influence the outcome of the vote on May 25. We do not intend to block campaigns and advocacy organisations in Ireland from using service providers outside of Ireland.
We have also built relationships with political parties, groups representing both sides of the campaign and with the Transparent Referendum Initiative, who we are asking to notify us if they have concerns about ad campaigns. We will then assess and act on those reports. We will also be using machine learning to help us with this effort to identify ads that should no longer be running.
We understand the sensitivity of this campaign and will be working hard to ensure neutrality at all stages. We are an open platform for people to express ideas and views on both sides of a debate. Our goal is simple: to help ensure a free, fair and transparent vote on this important issue.
This announcement follows previous referendum-related updates from Facebook:
  • On April 25th, Facebook launched the view ads feature in Ireland. This enables Irish Facebook users to see all of the ads any advertiser is running on Facebook in Ireland at the same time.
  • We are deploying Election Integrity Artificial Intelligence for the referendum, similar to what was established in advance of recent elections in France, Germany and Italy. Those efforts will direct our artificial intelligence capabilities to identify fake accounts, misinformation, or foreign interference.
  • In April, we hosted an information session for referendum campaign groups on Facebook's advertising and content policies.
  • We have established a dedicated reporting channel for advocacy groups on both sides of the campaign, and for the Transparent Referendum Initiative, so that they can surface any issues they identify directly to us.
  • We have launched third-party fact-checking in Ireland through a new partnership with The Journal.ie. As a member of the non-partisan International Fact-Checking Network, The Journal.ie will review news stories, check their facts and rate their accuracy. This also includes the ability to evaluate certain photo and video content. Stories rated as false by TheJournal.ie will see their distribution significantly reduced.
  • In April, we ran a false news educational notice to help people in Ireland spot false news. Irish users saw a notice at the top of their News Feed which offered advice on how to spot false news, such as checking the URL of the site, investigating the source of the news and looking for further reports on the topic. We also placed educational adverts across Irish press with tips on how to spot false news.
  • Facebook Ireland is a member of Media Literacy Ireland and supportive of its aim of empowering people in Ireland with the skills and knowledge to engage with and understand traditional and new media.

With regards to the 1 in 5 babies in England figure..

Approximately half of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. Many pregnancies end during a menstrual cycle. Over a quarter of known pregnancies end in miscarriage. However these are estimates - as an exact figure is difficult to ascertain.

Therefore it's about 1 in 6 known pregnancies end in termination. But this isn't how abortion rates are measured. Because it's almost impossible to know how many women are actually pregnant at any one time, you use the total number of abortions per 1,000 women of child-bearing age. This brings down this percentage considerably.

It should be said that 92% of abortions in England and Wales happen before 12 weeks. The remaining 8% are happening because of fatal foetal abnormalities or other serious medical issues.

There will never be a child born before 12 weeks gestation. We will never have the technology to allow this to happen. Therefore saying this is a baby being aborted, or murdered, is really more of a matter of language and assigning personhood to something that cannot possibly be legally considered an individual.

The 8th Amendment is solely about restricting the rights of women. It serves no other purpose. It was brought in by a fundamentalist Catholic Church who dominated society and media in Ireland. We're growing up as a country. Voting to repeal is voting for a fair, decent and caring society.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back