• Watchers 2

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
The last General Election was in 2020. The next one has to be before February 2025. There will be a Local and EU election in June of 2024. All of which suggests that we're now in the pre-election period when parties and candidates start trying to pick the issues to define themselves in the minds of the voters. They are also going to be hoping for candidates to put in front of those voters who won't make them recoil.

But the starting whistle hasn't been blown on this race just yet. Everyone is waiting for the outcome of the newly-created Electoral Commission's first ever redraw of Dáil Constituency boundaries.

One of the journos on a recent Irish Times politics pod had heard rumours that FG in particular were considering a spring election in February or March (the theory being that it would limit the potential fallout from bad local and Euro elections and not give the opposition, SF primarily, time to prepare and road test new candidates) but the consensus that it was pretty unlikely they'd pull the trigger prior to new constituency sizes / layouts being known,

the article, or the organisation?
"Yet to formally pen a manifesto, Farmers’ Alliance has outlined its priorities to include: the freedom to farm; food security; protect land, environment and property rights; challenge EU policy; ensure primary producer gets a fair share of the retail price; freedom of expression/speech; challenge disinformation and media bias; representing communities looking for fair representation, fair income, and fair cost of living."

the article, or the organisation?
"Yet to formally pen a manifesto, Farmers’ Alliance has outlined its priorities to include: the freedom to farm; food security; protect land, environment and property rights; challenge EU policy; ensure primary producer gets a fair share of the retail price; freedom of expression/speech; challenge disinformation and media bias; representing communities looking for fair representation, fair income, and fair cost of living."

The article. Thanks. "Freedom of expression/speech" rings alarm bells.

I was looking at stats a few days ago after chatting with classic @seanc and I was trying to drill down where agriculture stands in it all in IReland

I just watched the lady in the farmer alliances youtube speech / manifesto and TLDW theres a bit where she said dublin airport is irelands biggest polluter so i've been trying to fact check that to give her the benifit of the doubt.

Anwyhooooo the stats i'm trying to resolve are the informational mist from the EPA that would suggest that agriculture is over 30% of emissions

the red bit is the cows / methane

1692535271532.png

the bit in her speech where she said dublin airport is the biggest single emmiter of Ghg's -

trying to resolve that with the above info...

the dublin airport stat as far as i can tell is derived from this source which was run by at least two medias as a biggest polluter headline

SOOOOOOOOOOO

Rougly what i can conclude from trying to cross analyse the two sources is and corrent for units and %'s and all that.

Dublin Airport accounts for just under 2% of total at 1 million tonnes (1000 kt's on the colour graph above)
Cows might be around 28% of our ghg footprint at present as they are nearly the whole methane bill

In conclusion:

True Dublin airport is Irelands single biggest polluter.

But also

Cow farming represents 14 dublin airports.

IF i've fucked up sources or numbers corrections would be more than welcome.

and my reaction to that is that she's either taking headlines as gospel or massaging them a little for populist means.

MEANWHILE - the go fund me page is much more aligned with traditional pre fiannafailification of farming co-op practices.

We would like to bring to your attention a bottom-up National initiative, Farmers Alliance by farmers for farmers aimed at their improved viability and ensuring their future. It will be much different from any other.
There will be no salaried positions, no mobile phone deals, no calendars and no marches. Our focus will be commercial and delivering for the farmers and the wider rural economy. We will be fully compliant and environmentally sensitive.

We will target the 2 areas currently eroding all chances of profitable farming activity I.e input costs and explore all opportunities to obtain a greater share in the added value of the primary production.
The organisation will work directly with farmers, contractors small merchants and the consumer.
We would also envisage that Farmers Alliance will operate throughout Ireland-Northern Ireland and the Republic, working closely with the equivalent partners on both sides of the border, delivering measurable benefits and exploring the full range of commercial opportunities for all partners.
We will import fertiliser and animal feed and establish supply chain routes via direct contact and supply to farmers, small merchants and contractors.
We will also focus on the development of enhanced supply chains between grain farmers and end users as well as the importation of animal feed from overseas.
We have funded the setup of this organisation ourselves but it is no longer sustainable so after people suggested we set up a go fund me page we decided to try it.

We at Farmers' Alliance strongly believe we can bring a positive change to Irish farmers and consumers with this fresh new way of thinking which has never been done before.

We look forward to working with you all
Thank you for your continued support

I was looking at stats a few days ago after chatting with classic @seanc and I was trying to drill down where agriculture stands in it all in IReland

I just watched the lady in the farmer alliances youtube speech / manifesto and TLDW theres a bit where she said dublin airport is irelands biggest polluter so i've been trying to fact check that to give her the benifit of the doubt.

Anwyhooooo the stats i'm trying to resolve are the informational mist from the EPA that would suggest that agriculture is over 30% of emissions

the red bit is the cows / methane

View attachment 17488

the bit in her speech where she said dublin airport is the biggest single emmiter of Ghg's -

trying to resolve that with the above info...

the dublin airport stat as far as i can tell is derived from this source which was run by at least two medias as a biggest polluter headline

SOOOOOOOOOOO

Rougly what i can conclude from trying to cross analyse the two sources is and corrent for units and %'s and all that.

Dublin Airport accounts for just under 2% of total at 1 million tonnes (1000 kt's on the colour graph above)
Cows might be around 28% of our ghg footprint at present as they are nearly the whole methane bill

In conclusion:

True Dublin airport is Irelands single biggest polluter.

But also

Cow farming represents 14 dublin airports.

IF i've fucked up sources or numbers corrections would be more than welcome.

and my reaction to that is that she's either taking headlines as gospel or massaging them a little for populist means.

It’s doubly disingenuous as it’s not like level of air travel isn’t being highlighted as a problem environmentally

Also notable in the stats, just as a piece of info - Dublin road traffic ranks very high also. Like it is the transport hub for the country largely but also it's the first time i've seen a stat like that.

Isn't Ryan going to get a go on the big seat at some point? When is that? Does whoever is leading FF get another go after Leo's current year and then the Greens?

(Fully expecting FF and FG to pull the plug on this coalition before the Greens get their go.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back