European and Local elections 2019 (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter IFF
  • Start date
  • Replies 292
  • Views 27K
  • Watchers 5

IFF

So we have euro and locals in may 2019, both Irish times and RTE doing election.

Big questions on the euros:
How many will be elected to take up seats immediately? 11 or 13 meps
Will TDs winning seats bring down the government?
Do people care?

pbp are running in the south with carlow candidate adrienne wallce who seems to be a single issue candidate, to represent carlow, which is a great vote winner in carlow but might not be so good in wicklow, waterford, wexford, every other county in the south constituency

“I want to put Carlow on the map” so says Adrienne Wallace.

Adrienne Wallace to contest Local and European elections in May

One indie and one FF have piped up in my general sphere both attacking the carbon tax. Its looking like demonising environmental actions might be a solid ticket in the sticks. I completely understand why and how. I'm from the sticks. Its already making me sorta angry though.

The fianna fail facebook ad for me was on how we had to take action on climate change with a picture of a bee. That is for mid-louth.

One of my Facebook likes to WWF so maybe some target based ads

One indie and one FF have piped up in my general sphere both attacking the carbon tax. Its looking like demonising environmental actions might be a solid ticket in the sticks. I completely understand why and how. I'm from the sticks. Its already making me sorta angry though.
SF and PBP have come out against it as well.

How much money is given in fossil fuel subsidies right now and why is not zero?

Presumably they are against it because it's a regressive tax, are they offering an alternative plan?
They argue that it will hit the poorest hardest but there's not much in the way of an alternative plan aside from vaguely saying that the rich and large corporations should pay rather than the ordinary tax payer. All they've really done however is block a consensus on the issue and scored some cheap points with their voters.

They're supposed to be left wing parties but if they are they must accept that at times certain taxes are necessary. Otherwise it's just populism.

The most affected will be the thousands of people who have moved out of cities due to high rents and have long commutes every day. But sure, fuck them.

A carbon Tax that’s income-related is what makes most sense, otherwise it’s unfair.
Disagree. The amount of tax has to correlate to the amount you pollute otherwise it doesn't work. The tax collected can then be given back to people in the form of a dividend or the like so that nobody is much worse off but those who make the effort could be significantly better off.

Disagree. The amount of tax has to correlate to the amount you pollute otherwise it doesn't work. The tax collected can then be given back to people in the form of a dividend or the like so that nobody is much worse off but those who make the effort could be significantly better off.

Obviously it has to correlate to the amount you pollute. What I’m saying it will have to relate to your income AS WELL as the amount you pollute. Have different band rates for different income levels. Otherwise poorer people will be even further worse off than people with higher incomes for the same pollution created

Obviously it has to correlate to the amount you pollute. What I’m saying it will have to relate to your income AS WELL as the amount you pollute. Have different band rates for different income levels. Otherwise poorer people will be even further worse off than people with higher incomes for the same pollution created
Easier said than done. If you have to means test it the cost of collecting the tax will make any gains negligible. Not to mention the risk of introducing loopholes. What's wrong with the dividend idea?

Easier said than done. If you have to means test it the cost of collecting the tax will make any gains negligible. Not to mention the risk of introducing loopholes. What's wrong with the dividend idea?

It’s an idea that has proven an even bigger nightmare to implement. See: Irish Water.
I think it’s easier to means test an individual based on income level because Revenue already have that information

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back