• Repeal

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is another variation on "people who say abortion is murder ACTUALLY think murder is grand, so those people are full of shit QED" argument, right?
No, or I dunno, maybe. I'm trying to honestly think about his question. Few people think murder is grand but do you think that existence of life is more important than the quality of life?

If people want to say "well lets sort out all of the planet and society and then ban abortion because there'd be no reason to have one" i'd be very dubious, but i'd be willing to help with the first bit and then we can see how we all feel about things at that point. Until then keep abortion.

Last edited:
When I was a teenager I fully expected there to be artificial wombs by now - instead of abortions we'd have a simple procedure where a foetus would be transferred across to an artificial womb and then would come up for adoption

Reversible inhibition of sperm under guidance - Wikipedia

money should be pouring into this research. Easy and cheap to do, easily reversible, effective at all times, a once off injection, everyone wins.

I mean, if it were a safe option I'd likely do it. And it's likely not really comparable to the stuff women get done to them routinely as part of their health checkups when it's a once off thing (two to get it reversed), but boy did I fucking wince when I read "an incision is made in the scrotum."

As an aside, one of my dad's mates was one of the first vasectomists in the country, was at constant war with the church. He survived but one of his former patients shot him one time.

As an aside, one of my dad's mates was one of the first vasectomists in the country, was at constant war with the church. He survived but one of his former patients shot him one time.

Fucking hell!

I'm referring to what seems to me like a lefty rabble, many of whom are childless men, who block out any opinion that's not their own and beat their chests with righteous indignation.

While i technically have no online opinion on the 8th till 2pm on the 24th of may,

I would say there's something in this that i've been thinking about in a different way. If per say, it was 1950 and you wanted to be a man on a pulpit, beating his chest and being completely unchallengable in virtue, the church, the guards or the institutions of the state were a good spot to go doing it. Rome had your back if the paddies ever got shirty with you. If you have some lizard brain urge to be doing that today, the marriage referendum, the repeal campaign are suitable havens where a pulpit can be assumed, social media got your back if the paddies get shirty. Its not like people changed utterly and entirely the day sinead o connor tore up the pope, personalities are pretty persistent things. Like in a few years time there will be another umbrella which will be creating the shade for these personalities to exist in.

Really? That's mad

+1

For example - the "one in five babies are aborted in the UK" number is actually true ... well, the use of the word "babies" is questionable but there are 250-odd abortions per 1000 live births in the UK according to the WHO, see WHO European health information at your fingertips.

It's not. It completely disregards the 1000s of women like me who lose a baby anywhere between conception and birth... and includes some of them under "abortion" to distort the figures. Using only "live" births grossly exaggerates the figures to shock, which is their intention.

If "baby", as they argue it does, begins at conception, then 1 in 4 babies die before 12 weeks (not live births)... even ignoring deaths after 12 weeks, that 1 in 5 is WRONG.

It's good to see a balanced discussion of the topic by a bunch of men. You're all a sound lot.

Regardless of how anyone feels about abortion the Eighth Amendment causes problems for every pregnant woman in this country. Even in much wanted continuing pregnancies it deems a woman a vessel, denies her autonomy, the right to informed consent and creates situations where obstetric abuse can not only take place, but is protected by law. Women can be forced to undergo unnecessary medical interventions, procedures can be performed without permission or actual medical need. And because pregnant women have the same right to informed consent as the insane (none) there is no accountability. The rate of mother and infant morbidity is very high in Ireland. As are the rates of PTSD in women who have given birth here.

But for the eighth Squigglebaby would still be alive.

Reminder to Check The Register. I checked and we weren't registered at out old address (where we last voted) so my wife had to got through this procedure that involved the Gardaí etc. Then she went up to the County Council offices to submit the new form and she asked why she wasn't still registered at the old address (still technically our house). The county council worker said that ANYONE CAN REMOVE YOU FROM THE REGISTER. Aghast, my wife asked if this was true?? The worker said yes, "for example I would take you off the register right now if I wanted'.

This is worth repeating ANYONE CAN REMOVE YOU FROM THE REGISTER. No proof, no ID required NOTHING.

We still don't know who removed us from the register in Navan. Maybe when the people who are in the house registered we got taken off or something but we were not informed.

So when they say check the register, they mean it.

I didn't re-register yet because I'm a stinking brit with no vote in the referendum.

Would be interesting to throw in an FOI as to who (or what process) took you off the register. Seems like an incredibly stupid oversight on the council’s part — you need Garda verification to get on it but then some randomer can take you off it willy nilly.

I'm registered but cant vote as I'm from the north.

Do you have an Irish or UK passport? If it's an Irish one and are living in the jurisdiction then you're a resident Irish citizen and entitled to vote in referendums and for the presidency.

Actually, even if you didn't have a passport, under the GFA if you identify as an Irish citizen from the north and if you're living south of the border you're entitled to a vote in this I believe.

I don't have a passport right now. Last was British. I asked about getting an irish one at the time and was told I couldn't. In retrospect that was probably someone who was lazy or didn't know their job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back