Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As an independent observer.

If I was in the NO campaign i'd be concerned that i'd put so much value into pushed adverts, the press conference seemed quite fraught.

If I was in the YES campaign i'd be concerned about the amount of yes people swanning around twitter like Conor McGregor after a fight.

Also I have three concurrent adblockers on my home machine and a TFY just got through, so I guess facebook didn't just revise their policy.

With regards to the 1 in 5 babies in England figure..

Approximately half of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. Many pregnancies end during a menstrual cycle. Over a quarter of known pregnancies end in miscarriage. However these are estimates - as an exact figure is difficult to ascertain.

Therefore it's about 1 in 6 known pregnancies end in termination. But this isn't how abortion rates are measured. Because it's almost impossible to know how many women are actually pregnant at any one time, you use the total number of abortions per 1,000 women of child-bearing age. This brings down this percentage considerably.

It should be said that 92% of abortions in England and Wales happen before 12 weeks. The remaining 8% are happening because of fatal foetal abnormalities or other serious medical issues.

There will never be a child born before 12 weeks gestation. We will never have the technology to allow this to happen. Therefore saying this is a baby being aborted, or murdered, is really more of a matter of language and assigning personhood to something that cannot possibly be legally considered an individual.

The 8th Amendment is solely about restricting the rights of women. It serves no other purpose. It was brought in by a fundamentalist Catholic Church who dominated society and media in Ireland. We're growing up as a country. Voting to repeal is voting for a fair, decent and caring society.

Where’s @Egg to give out to you and tell you to read the whole thread?

I saw a rather sophisticated Save8th ad as a YouTube pre-ad the other day that worried me.

As far as my personal barometer goes, only my elderly relatives are either undecided or no. I don't seem to know anyone between 20 and 50 who isn't pro-repeal. Turn out will be a decider and I know that concern that the ref falls around student exams may serve to quell the Yes vote.

I have seem a lot of businesses in Dublin that have come out in favour of repeal (and literally only one that was Anti) but was wondering if (m)any banks, mobile networks and insurance companies have nailed their colours to the mast.

I have also seen some talk about if this doesn't pass that it'll take another 30 years for another ref but I think that is bullshit. Times and society are changing, if it doesn't pass this time, it will in a referendum in the not too distant future.

There was a full on march down the street and rally outside a church when I was in Athlone at the weekend. I dont mind to hear either side of the debate though it's needed I think.

I have seem a lot of businesses in Dublin that have come out in favour of repeal (and literally only one that was Anti) but was wondering if (m)any banks, mobile networks and insurance companies have nailed their colours to the mast.

I was buying copy books and Richie behind the counter was wearing a yes badge today. SubCity4Yes.

Saw a bunch of new posters up in town today from the greens, solidarity and PBP; very good, strong, simple and compelling messaging.

there were a bunch of posters around the RDS this morning for Yes that were put up by some students union (guessing it's UCD, though possibly the USI). I thought their message was fine, but they were so text heavy that, on first glance, I thought they were No posters. People driving by quicker than I was cycling might tend to think likewise.

They really should have gotten better advice on their poster content imo.

In my spanish class theres 12 or so of us, maybe 10 in at any one time. One girl sports a 'No' badge on her bag. 3/4 of the class are foreigners and don't seem to be showing support for any side. Of the paddies, the pro-repeal badges and t-shirts are coming out more and more. I nearly felt sorry for the No girl this week, sitting quietly in her corner, barely speaking. Bless. In saying that, I'll be sure to have a Yes badge on me next week.

I don't seem to know anyone between 20 and 50 who isn't pro-repeal.
Even my parents are pro-repeal, and they voted 'no' to gay marriage

Outside my filter bubble though I dunno ... there was some shite about U2 coming out for repeal on facebook, and a zillion comments on it saying "MURDERERS". Lots of them seemed to be from people my age. Saw a teenage girl with a "no" badge at the weekend in Drogheda

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back