• Repeal

Votes: 33 100.0%
  • Retain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't have to register, just entered my address and card details. They sent an email after asking if i want to subscribe to their updates.

Haven't been talking to anyone about the referendum apart from the wife and the band mates. Hasn't come up at tea break in work yet, and I ain't going to be the first.

Got hassled by some arsehole (presumably from the No side), and. videoing me putting up Yes Posters around Glasnevin. Accused me of taking down No Posters as there were two No Posters cable-tied to the bottom of The lamppost. Pair of us Held our shite together pretty well. Gobshite

WTF? It doesn't "bring down the percentage", it's a totally different measurement.

Sorry... you're right. It is a different measurement - but the measurement being used by the No campaign is misleading.

Dividing the total number of abortions by the total number of births (+ terminations) isn't an accurate way of determining the number of abortions as a percentage of the total number of pregnancies.
What these No campaign posters are implying is that the total number of births and terminations is equal to the total number of pregnancies. That's not actually correct. Miscarriages, particularly early miscarriages, aren't included in this "1 in 5" ratio.
The 8th amendment is insisting that a legal individual begins at conception. Using this definition we cannot possibly know how many conceived individuals there are at any given time. It's estimated that about half of all pregnancies end in miscarriages - with the majority of miscarriages happening within the menstrual cycle.
We also don't really have any solid figures on the number of pregnancies that end before 12 weeks. As we know many women don't realise they're pregnant until after 12 weeks.
10% of abortions in England happen after 10 weeks.

Therefore, using the No campaign's own definition of when a legal human individual begins, we don't have any definite denominator - so the total mid-year population of women 15-44 (or 49) is used. That percentage is much, much less than 20%.

But then... we should ask ourselves why is this "1 in 5" ratio controversial? When it comes down to it, the No side are implying women use abortions as a form of contraception. I trust that the women who decide to have abortions are doing it for very good, very sound reasons. Abortions aren't easy and are emotionally and physically difficult. It's never an easy choice, and the implication from the No side that women are flippant about this choice shows up the deep-rooted sexism which is at the centre of the 8th Amendment.

Got hassled by some arsehole (presumably from the No side), and. videoing me putting up Yes Posters around Glasnevin. Accused me of taking down No Posters as there were two No Posters cable-tied to the bottom of The lamppost. Pair of us Held our shite together pretty well. Gobshite

I went out putting putting up posters last weekend and when it's on the same lamposts as no ones (it's petty but I always made sure to put the yes ones higher) someone with me made sure to take a picture of the lamppost prior to show that we hadn't touched their ones.

Well this DDOS craic.

It's fucking batshit crazy.
d'ye think?

Could be just lads mucking about, hoping to cause hassle. I mean, it's probably the no side or some bored christian in america but i'm surprised this hasn't already happened.

Can you still just buy a DDOS attack easy enough?

d'ye think?

Could be just lads mucking about, hoping to cause hassle. I mean, it's probably the no side or some bored christian in america but i'm surprised this hasn't already happened.

Can you still just buy a DDOS attack easy enough?
originated in Ireland.

but the source of these things can be spoofed.

Did no harm to their funding. 5.5k out from the 100k.

It's too coincidentally timed to be accidental.

Did anyone see the Channel 4 report on no side funding from last night?
Oh i'm not saying it's accidental, but it's gonna lead to another John McGuirk interview I don't want to watch.

d'ye have a link there?

Last edited:
Oh i'm not saying it's accidental, but it's gonna lead to another John McGuirk interview I don't want to watch.

d'ye have a link there?

Yup

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's a bit in it that I found very funny where he changed from his Irish accent when talking to the brits or to the camera accent to what I assume is his actual accent when he interviewed the head of one of the pro-life groups.

My favourite conspiracy-by-way-of-fact about all the Irish prolife groups is how they have family connections to European royalty which can be traced directly back to Charlemagne, i.e. The Holy Roman Empire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back