Radioheads flicks the iFinger to iTunes (1 Viewer)

The 1.2M figure is being reported in a couple of places - I'd say 25K is low allright. One paper had a survey done of 5K people who had downloaded and I'd be surprised if they managed to survey 1 in 5 who downloaded.

To further prove my point about artists signing to promoters!!!!

The Guardian Business said:
Material Girl says goodbye to Warner to the tune of $120m

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif] Katie Allen, media business correspondent
Friday October 12, 2007
The Guardian

[/FONT] Madonna is leaving her lifelong record label Warner and is poised to sign a contract worth around $120m with concert promoter Live Nation in a deal that has sparked fresh debate over the future of record labels.The US singer is thought to be getting a $17.5m cash advance on signing a 10-year deal with the US firm, the world's largest live music group, as well as another $50m in cash and shares and multi-million dollar windfalls for each of three albums she will commit to.

While the deal is seen by some industry watchers as underscoring the importance of live music in an era of falling album sales, others panned it as financially flawed. Music industry insiders pointed out Live Nation faces an uphill battle to recoup on its big payout for the star whose many hits have included Like a Virgin, Express Yourself and Ray of Light.
Madonna's Confessions tour last year ranked as the highest-grossing tour by a female artist, according to Billboard magazine. But even if she can replicate that success, Live Nation will only receive a small slice of the money made, with the singer getting the lion's share as has traditionally been the case with live music.
On the albums side, Live Nation's deal takes it into the recorded music industry at a time when global revenues are falling amid rampant piracy. Madonna would have to sell around 15m copies of each of the concert promoter's three albums to recoup its investment on that piece of the deal, industry experts calculate. She has only done that three times in her career and the last time was almost two decades ago with Immaculate Collection.
Warner has been home to Madonna since her debut album in 1983. The label, which also has Red Hot Chili Peppers and James Blunt, will keep her back catalogue including hits such as Holiday and Material Girl. It also has a new studio album from the 49-year-old star in the pipeline as well as a greatest hits compilation.
It is understood that Warner walked away from talks about a new contract with Madonna last week after deciding that matching Live Nation's offer would not make financial sense and would let down shareholders. Warner's head Edgar Bronfman Jr has not referred specifically to Madonna's departure but did make his stance on such negotiations clear in a recent speech. "If a deal doesn't pencil out in a way that meets the needs of artists within a framework of financial discipline, we're more likely to walk," he said.
Warner declined to comment and Live Nation did not return calls.
Live Nation
Live Nation, set to become Madonna's new record label, is the largest promoter of live concerts in the world, the second-largest entertainment venue management company and is fast expanding its business online, with services such as a global concert search engine.
The New York-listed company has worked on tours by some of the world's biggest stars, including The Rolling Stones, The Police, Madonna, U2 and Coldplay. Last year it was behind 26,000 events in 18 countries. It has been expanding into live music as artists rely on tours for income as record sales drop.

Live Nation (or ClearChannel as it was once called) now manages The Point, Vicar St & Vicar St. 2..

The 1.2M figure is being reported in a couple of places - I'd say 25K is low allright. One paper had a survey done of 5K people who had downloaded and I'd be surprised if they managed to survey 1 in 5 who downloaded.

3,000 people would be a considered a statistically significant sample though right?

3,000 people would be a considered a statistically significant sample though right?

Sure ,of course it would
What I was trying say was if the newspaper managed to get in touch with 5000 people who had downloaded it then the figure of 25K looks low cause it would mean the paper had managed to contact a huge percentage of the people who downloaded.

So, the end of Jigsaw falling into place is

"Wish away the nightmare
You've got a light you can feel it on your back
You've got a light you can feel it on your back

Jigsaws falling into place"

And not

"youve got a hot necropheliac on your back" which I earlier misheard :rolleyes:

really having this album. It's an 'easy' listen without being the slightest bit bland or safe. sort of like American Analog Set. But nothing like them

Record of the day, I think they ran that how muschdidyoupay site

They just published those results...interesting stuff. £3.88 was the average and the irish come out of it okay with an average of £4.45.

http://www.whatpricedidyouchoose.com/survey_results

the survey got 5,000 submissions so it's only a rough guide more than anything else.

Particularly liked the comment from the Irish guy who paid £0.00

They're still paying me back for that terrible gig in the RDS in '97.

They just published those results...interesting stuff. £3.88 was the average and the irish come out of it okay with an average of £4.45.

http://www.whatpricedidyouchoose.com/survey_results

the survey got 5,000 submissions so it's only a rough guide more than anything else.

Particularly liked the comment from the Irish guy who paid £0.00

Ah feck, I paid £7. I though €10 would be fair like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back