Radioheads flicks the iFinger to iTunes (2 Viewers)

Popeye

I must admit...I'm a radiohead fan, so I was looking forward to the new album, but, I also can't stand apple - the way they treat music and the way they try to lock their customers into a closed apple 'ecosystem' like a microsoft wanabee are two reasons in particular.

So I was delighted to hear that Radiohead have given them the 2 fingers and ran with 7digital (which is a relatively small but friendly company) in the UK instead for their new album release online.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/09/radiohead-blows.html

In short, their new album will be available on there in 320kbps MP3 format with no fecking DRM. I think they will include a hi-res version of the artwork as well in the download.

Radiohead albums are some of the most pirated online....and now that they are releasing this independently, essentially through their own shop, I wonder if fans will continue to go to bit torrent sites/limewire or if they will feel okay about buying it direct from Radiohead online?

I don't know how to setup a poll here...but, it would be interesting to know what other thumpers think.

My 2.0 cents is that the majority of hardcore radiohead fans will have no problem paying the few euros to get it and outside the rabid fanbase, there will be a similar reaction. It won't kill the filesharing completely, but, I think it will reduce it.

I suppose, one way of looking at it is radiohead only have to sell about 1,000 downloads of the album direct, to make the same amount of money they would have got selling 50,000 via EMI.

Why not just buy the CD?

Fair point...I think hardcore fans will probably do both (buy the CD and downloads online), but, Radiohead fans are global, so as soon as the new album comes out...people in Bolton, Beijing, Brisbane, Berlin and Bantry will want it straight away...the costs to p&d on that scale is astronomical...only a major could really handle it. Working with a major is something the band have turned down since parting company with EMI...and fair play to them.

Licensing is an option, I suppose, but, realistically, offering downloads is the only feasible and practical way to reach those people quickly....

meh, making more money is the least of radiohead's concerns at this point

after gorging myself on oink for the last couple of months i have come to the conclusion that unless they come up with something like a star trek replicator for mp3s, downloading music is a waste of time.

i just can't seem to give an album a good go unless i'm listening to it with the cover in my hand.

meh, making more money is the least of radiohead's concerns at this point

I don't see a problem with bands wanting to make the albums they want to make and being rewarded for that if they turn out to be great albums.

Pundits reckon they would have sold more on itunes than going with 7digital, but, the same could be argued if they worked with another major....they decided not to on both counts...and I applaud that.

If the new album is a lemon...I would still applaud them.

There should be more bands out there making music for the sake of making music.

because that doesn't make for a fancy press release.

erm..it was Ben Drury in 7digital who issued that press release...not the Radiohead team. That's not really their style.

There was a rumour floating around that they were going to give the CD away for free in the UK as a cover mount....on Pigeon Fancier Magazine or another suitably obscure publication.

perhaps, just perhaps. radiohead are doing this to make more money and not to make a point against apple/drm. Bigger cut ? Full album download and not just individual songs ?

Why?
Buy the CD and rip it, why pay for yer MP3?

Radiohead aren't with a major label who can stock your local store with copies when it comes out.

Rabid fans will probably want the physical copy anyway...coz that's what they do.

Besides, even if you advance order a CD online, you will still get the MP3 version quicker on the day it's out..hardcore fans wouldn't be able to wait the few days for it to come through the post.

I bet there will be no problem getting radiohead's new cd, and if there was no way would I buy the mp3 while waiting for my cd to arrive, i'd totally download it illegally. I'm not buying an album twice, why the hell would anyone??

perhaps, just perhaps. radiohead are doing this to make more money and not to make a point against apple/drm. Bigger cut ? Full album download and not just individual songs ?

If the angle was more money, they would have licensed the new album to a major straight away....

besides, you could hardly describe Radiohead as a "singles band"....where people would cherry pick their best radio-friendly hits and bin the rest.

I bet there will be no problem getting radiohead's new cd, and if there was no way would I buy the mp3 while waiting for my cd to arrive, i'd totally download it illegally. I'm not buying an album twice, why the hell would anyone??

Valid point.....I suppose they could have offered a freebie download with the CD order, but that throws up a fulfillment nightmare on the launch day...how do you press up a few million cds and post them quickly without getting sucked into the big business side of music they obviously aren't interested in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back