Radioheads flicks the iFinger to iTunes (2 Viewers)

D'oh!

just heard there's an announcement tomorrow (20th) about a possible major label getting involved in the release. Universal probably.

so thom's not a fan of apple anymore? whats that on his guitar??
radiohead472.jpg

Here you can buy some tunes non-drmed from iTunes music store, you just pay a premium, and I think it might only be EMI's catalogue not de udder majors.

Here you can buy some tunes non-drmed from iTunes music store, you just pay a premium, and I think it might only be EMI's catalogue not de udder majors.

Those files aren't as "DRM FREE" as you think....Apple have left behind a trail of information from their Apple iPod only DRM which means your personal information and contact details are embedded in the file, with no encryption..so it's free for anyone (including lawyers working for IRMA/BPI/RIAA) to see...in a regular wordprocessor,

rant79figure1.jpg

More details here: http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/31735

A lot of people got caught out by that...they thought it was 'drm free', so they passed on some favourite songs to their friends, as you do and are now shitting that they have been shared around further or found their way onto limewire/bit torrent sites.

Of course if an ipod/laptop/computer is stolen or lost, the same risk is there.

EMI went ballistic about it when they found out and proceeded to license their catalogue to amazon, walmart and others, insisting on DRM FREE downloads. Universal followed suit.

I imagine whatever deal the sign will just be for distro. They've already paid for the recording themselves.

I agree...although, there's quite a lot of project management involved in a release like this which might mean the major label, as well as their distribution arms, getting involved.

My problem is that as soon as a major gets involved, the album automatically becomes a unit, but, as you say, the recording is already done, so it's not like they're going to muck with that.

So it is probably a good move if they have a good lawyer on their side of the table when the licensing agreement is thrashed out.

As well as being keen to hear the new album, I was looking forward to the release because it was the first time a significant and technically 'unsigned' artist, with a global reach, was releasing an album themselves, direct to fans and we could see if music fans simply don't want to pay artists for music, or if they do.

i.e. The 7digital guys report to the OCC in london, so the sales stats would be there for all to see and compare with bigchampagne.com (p2p and filesharing charts).

I really don't think the average person gives a toss if they buy it from band A or label B, it's a transaction, not a petition.

You maybe right, but, I don't see it as just a transaction.

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but, I love the idea of supporting artists direct...and I think we need more bands and artists making music for the sake of making music. making the albums they want to make. and if they make a great album, they should be rewarded for that, because that encourages bands to just do what they want to do or to innovate...as opposed to doing what they think will sell.

That logic is really simple but I take your point about the 'average person'. To many, I accept that music is just the audio equivalent of wallpaper - something they put on when they're doing something else...like surfing online/blogging, playing a game, bashing the bishop or flicking the carpet, on the dart/bus..etc. so there's no real relationship with the music, it's just ear candy.

I was at a Jinx Lennon gig recently, who for me, is one of the most exciting artists on the planet at the moment. They ran out of CDs at the gig and while I know I can get his Gouger Nation (know your station) album in the shops, I made a point of googling and buying direct at his website. Even though I have to wait a few days to get the CD in the post, I chose to do that rather than try and hunt it down on pirate bay or limewire.

Maybe I'm just stupid and/or in a small minority, but, for me, it wasn't just a transaction...I want to see this guy give up the day job and sit around all day writing more great fucking songs.

As an aside, without veering too much off topic, Jinx Lennon is a classic example of an artist who has totally thrown out the maps and is just making music he wants to make.

All that said...realistically, I reckon you're right..most people don't really give a shit and won't even think about it, as they're pulling down a bit torrent when the Radiohead album comes out.

I suppose you could say, you must forgive the cunts.

They ran out of CDs at the gig and while I know I can get his Gouger Nation (know your station) album in the shops, I made a point of googling and buying direct at his website.

Great. I'd love to buy direct from the artist wherever possible too. But again, this Radiohead thing is nothing like buying a CD at a gig, or direct from their own site.

Let me put it this way: Radiohead have signed an agreement that allows a third party exclusive rights to distribute their music. The third party supplies their distribution and promotional infrastructure, which they are paid for by a percentage cut of the sales. Sounds like a familiar business model? The only thing that's changed is the delivery method.

Thrown out the maps? Ya wha?

veering off topic, but, seriously, if you get a chance to see Jinx live, do.

When I first came across him, I thought he was like a Jonathan Cooper Clarke type poet/punk...but he's much more than that and I only really got it when I saw him live.

I've been to a few of his gigs now and admittedly, I'm totally hooked, not just by what he's doing, but watching the initial "what the fuck?!?" reaction from the crowd, who think they are just going to a regular gig and later on, when they realise it's not a regular gig and he's not a regular artist. It's like a fucking epiphany fest.

Great. I'd love to buy direct from the artist wherever possible too. But again, this Radiohead thing is nothing like buying a CD at a gig, or direct from their own site.

quick question...would you buy WAV/AIFF downloads instead of a CD?

Just curious.

Let me put it this way: Radiohead have signed an agreement that allows a third party exclusive rights to distribute their music. The third party supplies their distribution and promotional infrastructure, which they are paid for by a percentage cut of the sales. Sounds like a familiar business model? The only thing that's changed is the delivery method.

Totally understand what you're saying, but, I would argue that there's a massive difference between what the revenue food chain is like, buying a Radiohead album when they were with EMI and buying a radiohead album sans EMI, even if they license and distribute via a major.

Maybe the average punter doesn't know what those differences are - hence the reason that they probably won't give a shit.

Here's the thing, though.

I'm probably tootally wrong, but, I reckon if the average punter knew what's happening to the money, they might think twice.

i.e. the majority of the download revenue will be going back to the artist (7digital will be on about 20% commission) and a huge chunk of the album sale in the shops will be going back (if they have a good lawyer, Radiohead should get about 70-75% of the wholesale price, which should be roughly €5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back