petition for dail eireann regarding the closure of nightclubs (5 Viewers)

night clubs?? overcrowded... overpriced.... smelly... taxi's cost a fortune.... music is generally terrible.... beer prices are nonsensical....

especially true in Dublin where I lived for a couple of years.... but there are very few exceptions in Galway also where I now live...

supply and demand... we don't demand enough of our night life... it get's worse when you get older if you decide to frequent what is supposed to be for your age bracket....

hag said:
i say fuck the people until they start thinking outside the box. fuck them.
grrr. thinking outside the box. most hated phrase.

used to hear it a lot from marketing muppets. I used to be like "Do you even know what your talking about. WHAT FUCKING BOX. Look, Ill design your website to sell your garbage and thats that. No box. Simple shit any monkey could do"

all in my head of course

:D

broken arm said:
grrr. thinking outside the box. most hated phrase.

used to hear it a lot from marketing muppets. I used to be like "Do you even know what your talking about. WHAT FUCKING BOX. Look, Ill design your website to sell your garbage and thats that. No box. Simple shit any monkey could do"

all in my head of course

:D

i'm quite happy to have several girls to be thinking about my box some time around 1:30 am on a friday night though... eh? :) "nah, night clubs are all closed now, no point in you going all the way home... i think all the taxis are broken too... you should really start thinking about my box." eh? eh? :)

nokia said:
news just in: publicans are intent on raising the price of a pint of beer to 5 euros. Fuck them, and their poxy clubs
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1257684&issue_id=11469
For those of you without Unison accounts (or can't figure out how to use http://www.bugmenot.com):
Publicans in drive to cut price of the pint by 50c

History in the making: Price of a pint could come down

DESPERATE publicans are prepared to knock 50c off the price of a pint to win back customers.

Deeply worried by a plunge in business, they have undertaken to cut their profit by 30c a pint.

But they want the Government to reduce excise duty by 20c a pint.

In many areas that would push the price of a pint down to €3.

Vintners' Federation of Ireland (VFI) President Seamus O'Donoghue, who represents rural publicans, said publicans have suffered huge losses since the introduction of the smoking ban last March.

VFI members report drink sales have been slashed by between 25pc and 30pc.

Mr O'Donoghue said early indications were that the ban had slashed business by up to 25pc. And matters would deteriorate when the cold and wet winter weather sets in.

"It's having a huge impact and it's only September - wait till October and November. We're down between 25pc and 30pc," he told the Irish Independent.

Now the VFI national executive will meet in crisis session this week in Athlone to discuss the impact of the ban on bar sales.

"We are having a think-in in Athlone. We may pursue some angles. We may have to look at the direction we have to go. We will be looking at where we are in the marketplace and what's happening. It's a crisis meeting," Mr O'Donoghue said.

"Everyone will have to look into their hearts and into their own particular business and hopefully we will be able to find answers," he said.

Mr O'Donoghue said they would be discussing everything that was impacting on a customer going into a bar including excise duties as well as the smoking ban.

"If the Minister (for Finance) takes off 20c in excise duty off (SIC) the pint we'll take off 50c at the pumps. In rural areas the price of a pint is €3.50 - it will bring it down to €3. We sent word to the Minister for Finance. We haven't received any word back," Mr O'Donoghue said.

A spokesman for Irish Distillers said there had been a 10pc drop in on-trade sales, although he said that was only partially attributable to the smoking ban and the trend had been balanced by an increase in off-licence sales.

"The smoking ban is a factor but there are other factors, including lifestyle and the changing drinking patterns of consumers," the spokesman said.

Last year the spirits market in Ireland was down by 20pc overall, due to the introduction of a 42 pc excise increase on spirits products in Budget 2003.

According to the latest Central Statistics Office (CSO) figures, drink sales plunged in July and were 9pc lower than when the smoking ban was introduced last March.

Excluding price rises, the volume of sales in bars fell by 6.4pc during July, the figures for retail sales show.

This is 8pc less than sales in July last year and the decline has been concentrated in the last six months.

Kathy Donaghy

Bunji Rabbit Bo said:
night clubs?? overcrowded... overpriced.... smelly... taxi's cost a fortune.... music is generally terrible.... beer prices are nonsensical....

especially true in Dublin where I lived for a couple of years.....
This is really a different topic to the club opening time one but I'll reply anyway.

I think you're pretty much wrong on almost all your points. I've been going to Dublin nightclubs regularly since the Funnel started in 1997 (best nightclub in Dublin ever, RIP), look over my previous post to see a list of good clubs and the music that's on at them.

Enterance to Electric City is usually 6 Euro if local DJs are playing and 10 Euro for international acts. D1's club in Traffic is usually 8/10 Euro for almost all the acts they bring over. Backlash at Wax is free in before 12, a fiver afterwards, I think it's the same with Bodytonic too. Bassbin is a fiver in with a flyer before 12, then a tenner in. Studio B is something like 6 Euro in after 12. Nylon at Traffic is free in unless it's a bank holiday Monday the day after in which case they usually have an international act over.

Most of the time none of these clubs are overcrowded (despite the promoter's best efforts to pack them in). Personally I hate really crowded clubs but enjoy a decent number of people.

Yes drink *is* expensive in clubs, that's one point you got right. Believe it or not Ireland actually has one of the cheapest taxi services in Europe, but we could do with better late night public transport. It usually costs me 6 Euro to get a taxi home from the city centre, I live in Fairview.

Smelly? Well that'll be the people in the club most of the time. Maybe bouncers should be asking punters have they had a shower before letting them in?

but what if you're not into DJs? what if you just want to go and have a few drinks? eh? not everyone likes ecstasy tablets you know... jesus.

I don't know how many pubs they have rolled it out to, but the belfry in the 'batter is advertising Bavaria on tap for 3 euro a pint. Now thats quality boozin'

ms.b.haven said:
like i'd fall for that :rolleyes:

again
hey lady, why is it that when i fall out of a pub with you, there's just too many taxis and i get the runs right there and then so you just can't come to my place... sorry... gotta go.... byyyeeeeeeeee!

Thayl said:
I've been going to Dublin nightclubs regularly since the Funnel started in 1997 (best nightclub in Dublin ever, RIP),
RIP indeed. And your spot on about promoters more concerned about getting enough people in as opposed to the place being packed.

and on the taxi note: for many people taxis are expensive because of the distances they have to travel get home. few cities sprawl as much as our fair city. sigh, memories of going out in berlin with the late (all) night trains/underground and the quality all-night clubs and bars.

and Hag, what you need to do is find a friendly pub that is conducive to the weekend lock-ins. granted these fine establishments are rarely in the hot-spots of the city but your late drinking (without the techno and e-heads) wishes come true.

broken arm said:
RIP indeed. And your spot on about promoters more concerned about getting enough people in as opposed to the place being packed.

and on the taxi note: for many people taxis are expensive because of the distances they have to travel get home. few cities sprawl as much as our fair city. sigh, memories of going out in berlin with the late (all) night trains/underground and the quality all-night clubs and bars.

and Hag, what you need to do is find a friendly pub that is conducive to the weekend lock-ins. granted these fine establishments are rarely in the hot-spots of the city but your late drinking (without the techno and e-heads) wishes come true.
here, so how many years will it take dublin to cop on? i'm just filling out my visa application form, i need to tick 5 or 20 years...

hag said:
here, so how many years will it take dublin to cop on? i'm just filling out my visa application form, i need to tick 5 or 20 years...
i'm not sure what you're talking about but lets say 15:)

when will dublin get sensible and have lots of low-rent art spaces and late-opening bars and cafes that don't need "amazing djs" playing all the time to make a living? that kind of thing... kinda like most other capital cities in europe.

tried to give you rep for that :)eek: ) but couldn't. good point/idea
hag said:
when will dublin get sensible and have lots of low-rent art spaces and late-opening bars and cafes that don't need amazing djs playing all the time to make a living? that kind of thing... kinda like most other capital cities in europe.

broken arm said:
it would be cool if we had anywhere 'underground' to go (Dublincentric perspective here). We have a lack of available space to run underground clubs. sigh

what about all those lovely soon to be demolished warehouses on the docks. i've heard there is a couple of abandoned healthboard buildings in outskirts of dublin city too. and an old hospital apparently (the 'source' has a tendency to stretch the truth, although the building may be there it may also not be an old hospital.)

there are loads of privately held properties that would be ideal for underground dublin scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back