petition for dail eireann regarding the closure of nightclubs (1 Viewer)

Don’t worry about it arm, someone just threatened me through a PM which I don’t appreciate

broken arm said:
ah now, I wouldn't say that. But I think it may be the first time i typed something negative/threatening here.

I have surprised myself,

maybe it's a new me,

who knows.

broken arm said:
ah now, I wouldn't say that. But I think it may be the first time i typed something negative/threatening here.

I have surprised myself,

maybe it's a new me,

who knows.
that's such a negative thing to say. i'm lost for words. :)

ms.b.haven said:
Don’t worry about it arm, someone just threatened me through a PM which I don’t appreciate
wow, what's the point in threatening someone through a PM? that's lamer than a spooky phone call... who did it??? they totally deserve a low 5.

sarah said:
Do these online petitions actually have any effect or are the ones collected from the street along with letters to the relevant authorities more effective?

In my opinion, you're better off lobbying your T.D. or the relevant Minister (in this case, Justice. Dermot Woods is McDowell's Private Secretary: email [email protected]).

Also, bear in mind that there's a new cabinet coming in on Thursday, so they most certainly don't give a crap about anything us mortals have to say this week. I'll be very surprised if this goes through, but I'm prepared to eat my hat.

therecklessone said:
I bet ya Herr Flick and the Pee Dees have a hand to play in this
I'm no legal expert but I don't know if the gardai can just bring forth legislation to impose situation like this. I imagine here could be legal challenges if not supported by legislation (even with that there could be legal challenges)

Im sure someone could shed light on this.

i better not say, but yeah that was quite shitty :(
hag said:
wow, what's the point in threatening someone through a PM? that's lamer than a spooky phone call... who did it??? they totally deserve a low 5.

broken arm said:
I'm no legal expert but I don't know if the gardai can just bring forth legislation to impose situation like this. I imagine here could be legal challenges if not supported by legislation (even with that there could be legal challenges)

Im sure someone could shed light on this.
Its not new legislation though (or is it?)

GARDAI have secretly decided to impose early closing times on nightclubs, in a move which will outrage the industry and club-going public.

The plan, agreed on Friday, is to have all Dublin nightclubs closed at 1.30am with no exemptions.
They'll be using existing legislation to bring this about.

i apologised to 'him'. i guess that's all i can do, unless he feels bad. lets leave it at that
moc said:
name and shame ms b... we'll all take off rep points and they wont know what hit them ;)

the thing is, ireland's embarrasing enough as a place to go to for a drinks and dancin' weekender holiday, with most places closing at 3 or so and the price of drink, when you compare it to places on the continent, or america. by closing the clubs even earlier, it's making ireland an even less attractive place to go for a short break, compared to for example Amsterdam, which has legal hash on top of cheaper pints, the red-light district, the leather bars, better dance clubs and more canals. in comparison, dublin is starting to resemble more amd more a visit to your maiden aunt's house for sunday tea and biscuits. hardly heart-stoppingly exciting stuff.

moc said:
thats fair enough but if you read the posts everyone is saying their against it, why not have a debate on whether irish clubs are good or not?
thayl has outlined the best clubs in dublin for electronic music.
all of these are as good as their counterparts in the uk or mainland europe (in my experience) for music - which can be seen by the standard of guests.
the main difference though is that they end up finishing at 2.30-3 which affects many things including the chance for the dj/act to play a decent length set, the possibility of more varied musical policy/more acts and the fact that people are busier getting pissed before bar shuts than enjoying the music.
couple these with dublin not having any good venues and it adds up to where we are.

moving closing back to 1.30 will kill legal nights.
maybe thats not such a bad thing ?

in fairness, this debate has feck all to to with djs and which clubs are good etc. the point is, is that the government are yet again enfringing on our personal freedoms. the government and the gardai are clearly not thinking through these policies, as they will only make the problems of anti social behaviors worse by doing what they are planning to do.
what we need are staggered opening hours akin to our european neighbours, and maybe then people won't feel like they are on a race against the clock to get as much drink down before turfing out time. also the cops would be better equiped to deal with drunken "fracas" if they were "sporadic" (dont ya just love that word!) outbursts occuring at different times in different places.
people would probably drink more responsibly if given more time to relax. its also a point to note that not everyone works 9-5 jobs, and these people should be allowed to socialize after work etc.
soon enough there will be a curfew in this little country of ours, where we are not allowed out after the street lights come on. "remain in you homes, stay calm, dont panic, don't move - your best interests are our main consideration" (or something like that)

don't roll over on this one people. let you head be counted.......

http://www.petitiononline.com/night269/petition.html

Graham from ie-dance has this to say on the legal aspect of it all:

"I've just been speaking to the Department Of Justice.....
Apparently they aren't introducing a new law, but just re-enforcing an
existing law from the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2000, which enables the Garda
to prevent a pub/club receiving a Special Exemption Order. This SEO has to
be sought every month from the courts for anyone who wants to open later
than 1.30. The garda have always had to power to object to these SOE, since the 1920's when the state was formed.

There is no official press release yet, but the guy I was talking to said he
would speak to the press department and ask them to send out a press
release.....

So basically the garda are being more forceful in objecting to premises that
have trouble associated with them.....

I was assured that there was no change in the law to take place on
Wednesday....."

Thayl said:
Electric City on a Thursday in The Metropolitan is very good. They've brought over Andy Weatherall, Dave Clarke, The Hacker, Speedy J, Alter Ego (this Thursday I believe), .QUOTE]

according to some website, alter ego are on 14th Oct...

hag said:
i say fuck the people until they start thinking outside the box. fuck them.
news just in: publicans are intent on raising the price of a pint of beer to 5 euros. Fuck them, and their poxy clubs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back