Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther (2006) (1 Viewer)

I was thinking this morning that this is essentially what roscoe is about and by extension a lot of the album is essentially about this. The whole record is essentially about settling into spaces already made by people who wouldn't understand what the fuck we are at. They keep digging at undestanding these long dead people, while living in the place they built and contemplation how those people would see them.

RE: plugins etc the record is essentially from the start of the era of a few people in a house being able to have affordable studio tech - the lyrics are kindof leaning into that too. Do they have something to say? I'm not sure, I don't know, but they have inadvertently said everythign about music of that time.

I'm not saying you have to listen to it again or anything, Just what you said about it got me thinking about it that way.

Like this is 'marion' - Its essentially some kind of moby dick meets starbucks dual existence.
I'm thinking and thinking about this, because as much as I love to have a moan, i'm not 100% sure I even agree with myself.

I think this album kind of is to that kind of 70s americana folk music as Uptown Funk is to the Minneapolis Sound, it's this very finished version of something that was an act of exploration at the time. It sounds great and all (and i'm probably more amenable to Uptown Funk because I get the references, so to speak) but it's really quite hollow to my ears and it has nowhere to go except shinier and shinier versions of itself. I suppose I haven't delved deeply into the lyrics because I refuse to do that unless I already like the music. There's nothing to explore here for me, it's just a product.

I dunno. I like your post. I'm probably completely wrong. Did this album influence your New Country record? I get way more from that than from this.

Last edited:
Got to the end of my third listen today and I could swear the album felt about twice as long, it was unending. "Roscoe" and "In This Camp" are all right, but it's all so very forgettable and boring. Even as I type this I'm struggling to remember what those two songs sounded like beyond a glossy faux Laurel Canyon sheen.

I'm thinking and thinking about this, because as much as I love to have a moan, i'm not 100% sure I even agree with myself.

I think this album kind of is to that kind of 70s americana folk music as Uptown Funk is to the Minneapolis Sound, it's this very finished version of something that was an act of exploration at the time. It sounds great and all (and i'm probably more amenable to Uptown Funk because I get the references, so to speak) but it's really quite hollow to my ears and it has nowhere to go except shinier and shinier versions of itself. I suppose I haven't delved deeply into the lyrics because I refuse to do that unless I already like the music. There's nothing to explore here for me, it's just a product.

I dunno. I like your post. I'm probably completely wrong. Did this album influence your New Country record? I get way more from that than from this.

Naw I hadn't heard this at that time, I appreciate that someone still remembers that record :p - I don't disagree with you on the shiny thing. I don't know - I enjoyed it for a week or two there and now i'm all nils frahm and GET OUT OF MY OFFICE. I hated uptown funk in a lot of ways, but then i really liked daffodils and return to it a fair bit. You don't need to go too far into the lyrics, its the same three songs in rotation.

I revisited the sophtware slump at some point in the last week or two and decided that a lot of that record is fucking awful.

The only Midlake I know is Joshua Golding's cover of Van Occupanther. I find it so moving and beautiful. I had a quick spin of Midlake and reckon I could like some of the songs but Joshua's version hit me like a tonne of bricks when I first heard it a few years back.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The only Midlake I know is Joshua Golding's cover of Van Occupanther. I find it so moving and beautiful. I had a quick spin of Midlake and reckon I could like some of the songs but Joshua's version hit me like a tonne of bricks when I first heard it a few years back.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back