Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther (2006) (1 Viewer)

So here, did this album popularize the bearded lad in a lumberjack shirt playing folky music trope? A year before Bon Iver's Emma album, before that Fleet Foxes album and before Mumford got together. Was anyone else doing it a large enough level to sell out the Village before this?

So here, did this album popularize the bearded lad in a lumberjack shirt playing folky music trope? A year before Bon Iver's Emma album, before that Fleet Foxes album and before Mumford got together. Was anyone else doing it a large enough level to sell out the Village before this?

Do grandaddy count? In terms of lads drinking cans and having beards are they not years ahead of this?

nah, all Midlake were responsible for was John Grant. Again, I try not to hold that against them.

Do grandaddy count? In terms of lads drinking cans and having beards are they not years ahead of this?
Hmm, I was certainly aware of them but in my mind they came across as... musicians with beards as opposed to, i dunno, cosplay lifestylers being authentic through the medium of sound. Like you could say Neutral Milk Hotel (who I wasn't aware of at the time but everyone else was) as well but they were identified with a specific scene so they couldn't pretend they emerged from the forest fully formed.

Hmm, I was certainly aware of them but in my mind they came across as... musicians with beards as opposed to, i dunno, cosplay lifestylers being authentic through the medium of sound. Like you could say Neutral Milk Hotel (who I wasn't aware of at the time but everyone else was) as well but they were identified with a specific scene so they couldn't pretend they emerged from the forest fully formed.

Yeah I think I get what you are saying - Like I'd put midlake and grandaddy in the proto era but I'm not sure I know the next era well enough.

ok (possibly prematurely) verdicting this.

I think its a really good album - my general obession with roscoe centres around the vocal and melodic intertwinings that are just sublime, pure alchemy stuff, everything compliments everything. I survived without the rest of the album for years. I could go full rick beato on it but i'm gonig to to cycle to work instead.

Teh album seems to float around the concept of settling down, obvs they are using white people 'finding' america as a foil for being a bunch of men becoming house-bounds. Head home-van occupanther-young bride to me is the best in album flow of things that bookend really really well.

I should probably be approaching it as vynils seeing its 44 mins long, its probably better with a slight break in the middle than going end to end. Side two a little more expansive feeling - which is interesting consideing all teh short songs are on that side. I thought head home was the best in album track and that has moved to young bride now which makes me wonder will this be a floating thing.

Anywhoo giving it a precautios 7.5/10 because I'm not sure if I'll bond with or grow away from side 2 over time.

Just finished listening to the album

Hans_Langseth.jpg

Last edited:
ok (possibly prematurely) verdicting this.
my general obession with roscoe centres around the vocal and melodic intertwinings that are just sublime, pure alchemy stuff, everything compliments everything.

Hopefully this doesn't make anyone too angry:

Roscoe reminds me of Fleetwood Mac. His vocals, that sort of chasing/driving beat, those little tight fills, rhythm guitar all overdrive-ey. Maybe not the intro, but from about 30 seconds in, I dunno man, Fleetwood Mac vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back