the strangeness of dub (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
Ahoy pricks, here is a thing you might want to listen to. the strangeness of dub.

I somehow found a link to this series in early november (I don’t even remember where I got it from — maybe some link on twitter or the like). and it’s been a bit of a life-saver.

here it is:

there are seven episodes there, each over two hours long, and all presented by Edward George, this london dude who really knows his stuff, and is really enthusiastic about telling you all about it. and he is happy to go off on philosophical tangents about dub and silence, dub and slavery, dub and repetition, dub and queerness, dub and disco, dub and french post-structuralism, dub and gender, dub and religion... it’s fucking great.

also the first five or so episodes were recorded pre-corona, so it’s also a little bit like escaping into a parallel reality for a while.

It goes through all the names you might expect — king tubby, lee perry, augustus pablo, etc. but it also really digs into all sorts of weird corners. alice coltrane. ethiopian folk music. techno. stockhausen. there are plenty of diversions into all kinds of music. he even plays john cage’s 4'33'' in one episode.

I started listening to it around the time of the american election, and it’s taken me until now to go through it all, biting off a chunk every few days like a giant pie. it’s been really amazing. and it’s not over yet! the eighth episode is apparently coming early in the new year.

anyway, take a listen. even if you’re not into dub. It’s been a great joy to listen to, and has genuinely been part of being able to stay sane (or less insane) over the last couple of extremely crappy months. I learned a lot, I listened a lot, I thought a lot. I fucking loved it, and some of you might also. happy christmas.

actually , what has everyone else’s corona-survival music and sounds been? for me it’s been this dub series thang, but also a few other things along the way, like that weird korean new wave album I posted here a couple of weeks back

edit: this one

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ahoy pricks, here is a thing you might want to listen to. the strangeness of dub.

I somehow found a link to this series in early november (I don’t even remember where I got it from — maybe some link on twitter or the like). and it’s been a bit of a life-saver.

here it is:

there are seven episodes there, each over two hours long, and all presented by Edward George, this london dude who really knows his stuff, and is really enthusiastic about telling you all about it. and he is happy to go off on philosophical tangents about dub and silence, dub and slavery, dub and repetition, dub and queerness, dub and disco, dub and french post-structuralism, dub and gender, dub and religion... it’s fucking great.

also the first five or so episodes were recorded pre-corona, so it’s also a little bit like escaping into a parallel reality for a while.

It goes through all the names you might expect — king tubby, lee perry, augustus pablo, etc. but it also really digs into all sorts of weird corners. alice coltrane. ethiopian folk music. techno. stockhausen. there are plenty of diversions into all kinds of music. he even plays john cage’s 4'33'' in one episode.

I started listening to it around the time of the american election, and it’s taken me until now to go through it all, biting off a chunk every few days like a giant pie. it’s been really amazing. and it’s not over yet! the eighth episode is apparently coming early in the new year.

anyway, take a listen. even if you’re not into dub. It’s been a great joy to listen to, and has genuinely been part of being able to stay sane (or less insane) over the last couple of extremely crappy months. I learned a lot, I listened a lot, I thought a lot. I fucking loved it, and some of you might also. happy christmas.
Halfway through episode 1, it's absolutely brilliant

episode 11 went up recently

so great

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back