petition for dail eireann regarding the closure of nightclubs (3 Viewers)

dislexik_pnuk said:
Well...not all of finglas, but most of it - it is probably the filthiest scummiest place in dublin, if not the entire country (just counting the republic anyay) so it should be the first to go - if you live there and you dont wear tracksuits 24/7 tough - sacrifices have to be made for the greater good - and getting rid of finglas would be a good idea.
you obviously haven't seen much of dublin / have led a very sheltered life if you think finglas is bad.

more then just nighclubs

more then just nighclubs
on this and the thumped thread it is descending into a discussion about how much people hate nightclubs and wittism about getting pissed?

doesn't this sorta law effect all late night entertainment, all types of gigs for ceili to trance?

people often complain about artist not playing sets for no long enough and then alot people don't turn up for supports if they start at like 7 30 or 8.. depending on the venue...? correct if im wrong you guys sohuld know

I've just read through some of the petition and some of the comments are a bit much. some people are comparing this to fascism or bringing up the smoking ban again - wtf?

anyway, I think that some nightclubs should be made close early. any nightclub that always has massive fights outside it every bloody week for example.

there are plenty of nice nightclubs that never have trouble from their punters and the police should appreciate them and let them stay open until whenever.

I think they do this ordering some clubs to close early in Cardiff or somewhere like that? I was watching some programme about drunken street violence on the BBC and the police had the power to shut the nightclubs they saw to be causing most of the problems. it was always the nightclubs that had dead cheap booze promotions that caused mayhem on the streets later.

hag said:
wait a minute, people were slagging me??? shit. if people = vinnie, that's ok. he's just jealous of me. he actually created an anti-hag club when we were in school. it even had a logo .... kinda like a capital 'A' with a capital 'H' super-imposed on it.
Is this like me saying hag 3 times backwards in the mirror?

Ignoe me, I'm drunk. Woo-hoo!!!

Come on Herr Flick, try and take my beer away from me!!! Ya bastard.

that English city yr thinking of is Nottingham as far as i can recall, its turned into one of the most troublesome areas in Britain for underage drinking and makes Dublin look quite pale in comparison.

i think im the first to agree with this "ban" ,well if the guy off Dance.ie is right i do anyway, any venue which brews a troublesome crowd should be closed earlier so those punters can angrily make there way home with out meeting the good people of proper establishments.

my best example would be the P.O.D. or the redbox or whatever the dance parts name is, it probably would be a safer area if it was closed at 1:30am whereas Crawdaddy should be allowed go on that bit later if it keeps up its current good reputation.

i speak in very general terms there but it could be good if the Gardai start to use the Special Enforcements Law PROPERLY!!!

ALL that said i still think 24hour bars are still the way forward, nightmare for introduction years yes but sense COULD eventually prevail??am i crazy?

but the reality is that the bars thats late licence will be revoked are the ones who don't slip a couple of yo's to the gardai. So the only bars that are allowed to stay open will be for the rich and places like copper face jacks cause of their 'special relationship' with the gardai, they already have a very very late closing time (i work night shifts a few buildings down so i have to deal with those wankers everynight).

i do think 24 hour bars are the only solution to the aggro-booze 'rush hours' in dublin, if they shut places earlier people are gonna just knock their drinks in quicker and get even more fucked up outside with all that extra aggro of being treated like fucking children.

also pubs are far less likely to put gigs on if they think the bands playing might annoy the guards, okay that might not affect alot of the more indie bands but for the punk scene it would be pretty rough.

spiritualtramp said:
I've just read through some of the petition and some of the comments are a bit much. some people are comparing this to fascism or bringing up the smoking ban again - wtf?

i'm guessing that they're drawing comparisons between this and the smoking ban as yet another example of Ireland's Nanny State mentality.

see, the problem isn't that the nightclubs are open late, it's that some of the people who go to the nightclubs drink far too much before going in, and end up coming out even more drunk and aggressive. all comes down to the fact that they're being served more alchohol, illegally so if they're already acting in an antisocial manner, by pubs/clubs whose business is it is to make money from selling people alchohol. in other words, it is contrary, in the short run, to the pubs' better interest to call a halt to selling drink to drunks.
of course, in the long run, these bars get raided by the guards, get known for having drunk and surly individuals frequenting them, and should (in theory) end up having their licences revoked. Police the pubs, and shut them down if they're breaking the law.
Has this ever actually happened? How many bars have been permanently closed down because they've been serving underage/serving drunks/allowing antisocial behaviour to go on outside their premises? once again it comes down to inadequate policing and ineffectual punishments (rarely) doled out to the offending bars. And it is the bars that should be meted out with the fines, they're the ones who are profiting off the antisocial behaviour. If it's in their best interests to prevent drunken violence by keeping an eye on their clientele, they will. Or at least that's the idea.
That's not to say that after-pub/club violence will cease totally, there's always some asshole on the street late at night. It just won't be drink-fuelled.

<end rant/>

edit: eh, so i agree with spuded

hag said:
i still say take everyone's privileges away until they come up with something imaginative.
If that was the case then you'd probably have to stop posting here.

There's also the problem of every second newsagent selling cheap deal beer. I'd imagine I'm right in presuming that a good many of the boys and girls involved in the drunk and disorderly were happily plying themselves with the cheap and nasty shit. Or maybe heading into the nightclubs already tanked up. I know 'responsible' young adults who regularly take this route.

Anyone? ;)

Wheels said:
There's also the problem of every second newsagent selling cheap deal beer. I'd imagine I'm right in presuming that a good many of the boys and girls involved in the drunk and disorderly were happily plying themselves with the cheap and nasty shit. Or maybe heading into the nightclubs already tanked up. I know 'responsible' young adults who regularly take this route.

Anyone? ;)
the best thing that's happened to dublin in a long long time is centra on dame st. starting to sell stonehouse, and well you know it, boyo.

Re: more then just nighclubs

chewy said:
more then just nighclubs
on this and the thumped thread it is descending into a discussion about how much people hate nightclubs and wittism about getting pissed?

doesn't this sorta law effect all late night entertainment, all types of gigs for ceili to trance?

this is the point exactly. its all well and good to say: "well this crowd cant behave themselves, so they should be a law against this and that"

this is ridiculous. this law will affect us all; all cultures all music all entertainment. there is too much of a "fair enough so" attitude in this country. do we even give a shit about our rights? some people are so blind to the realities, and aloof to the solutions that benefit us all. we are living in a rip-off state, and we just accept all the bullshit excuses, opinion polls and the like.

Dizzywizard said:
this is the point exactly. its all well and good to say: "well this crowd cant behave themselves, so they should be a law against this and that"

this is ridiculous. this law will affect us all; all cultures all music all entertainment. there is too much of a "fair enough so" attitude in this country. do we even give a shit about our rights? some people are so blind to the realities, and aloof to the solutions that benefit us all. we are living in a rip-off state, and we just accept all the bullshit excuses, opinion polls and the like.
people are too into accumulating wealth here, it fucking sucks.

hag said:
i still say take everyone's privileges away until they come up with something imaginative.
i'm surprised nobody's mentioned house parties yet. i went down to galway this weekend to see secret cinema. he was kind of a let-down, but i went to a great house party afterwards where various djs played til 10am and the pigs only showed up once. doesn't really happen in dublin like that.

i know this isn't exactly a solution. i just wanted to say that... i love galway. and house parties.

the broad solution is along the lines of having longer opening hours, but then this would be a fucker for a lot of people working in these places - pub workers can be treated very poorly.

how about: pubs should be allowed an extra 10% of opening time for every 10% of staff who join mandate or siptu.

then everybody go on strike and head to galway for a house party.

tom. said:
i'm surprised nobody's mentioned house parties yet. i went down to galway this weekend to see secret cinema. he was kind of a let-down, but i went to a great house party afterwards where various djs played til 10am and the pigs only showed up once. doesn't really happen in dublin like that.

i know this isn't exactly a solution. i just wanted to say that... i love galway. and house parties.

the broad solution is along the lines of having longer opening hours, but then this would be a fucker for a lot of people working in these places - pub workers can be treated very poorly.

how about: pubs should be allowed an extra 10% of opening time for every 10% of staff who join mandate or siptu.

the broader solution is to just fuck off out of dublin for 20 years until it's found itself again. bring back the old temple bar!!! (as in the one from 15 years ago!!!)

tom. said:

if this does come to pass, hopefully it will start pushing things underground. Proper parties, where it is not about making money or being seen in a cool place. More like having a good time with a lot of people out to do that same thing.

Wheels said:

Anyone? ;)
yes, but wasn't the whole point of the drink laws to be tha fact that the bouncers/pub landlords/etc are not supposed to admit or serve people who are already too drunk? if they're letting people in who've been getting tanked up on stonehouse, aren't they breaking the law?

everyone should go pubbing/clubbing with naggins of vodka/whisky/schnapps. that way you get in sober, buy 1 or 2 pints, and end up leaving on a stretcher.

lmd64 said:
yes, but wasn't the whole point of the drink laws to be tha fact that the bouncers/pub landlords/etc are not supposed to admit or serve people who are already too drunk? if they're letting people in who've been getting tanked up on stonehouse, aren't they breaking the law?

everyone should go pubbing/clubbing with naggins of vodka/whisky/schnapps. that way you get in sober, buy 1 or 2 pints, and end up leaving on a stretcher.
and you can't argue with that. hi-5. i've been doing that with whiskey and vodka for the past two years and never got caught. i advise it.

Dizzywizard said:

our rights? sure I think people have the right to go out and have a good time. but if the government are trying to take away the "rights" of people who go out and drink 20 bottles of WKD, drop kebabs and vomit all over the street followed off by a nice dance on someones head more power to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back