Moving to the sticks (3 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Or at least out of/far (ish) away from Dublin.

Anyone have any thoughts of doing this? I'm currently 60/40 on it, specifically to Kilkenny. Already started looking at gaffs there. The idea being that theres 10 years left on the mortgage on the gaff in Dublin but there's enough paid off to be able to sell up, clear the rest of the mortgage and buy something outright, or close to outright. And, get a bigger gaff and live closer to the city.

In a lot of ways its a no-brainer. The only possible spanner in the works could be the work situation. I'm currently fully remote and will be for as long as I'm in this company. But its unlikely this company will be around a year from now. It'll either go to shit, or get bought out.

anyways, anyone else ever think of doing anything similar?

there was some report recently where some government body looked at some derelict properties and determined that most were not economically viable for restoration. i.e. the purchase and restoration costs would be greater than the value of the restored property. will see if i can find a link.
not sure if you know Dave Smith on twitter (cycling coach lad) but he posted a tweet a few years back about some scheme the Spanish had about selling old rural cottages for 1 euro, on the proviso that you commit a certain amount of money to its renovation (he's somewhere in Catalonia). He was looking to get one and was posting photos. Not sure if he did or not, but anyway theres this article

I believe Italy had a similar kind of scheme too.

With all this going on and some of us thinging about different options - I wonder are ye's aware the EU approved new building standards for 2030 about a week ago - which would imply a few things

If you are building/renovating for life, your own life, have at it.

If you are building/renovating as a step to something else, be very wary of what resale value you might have if it's a pre 2030 standard build.

a colleague bought a house about 15 years ago near gorey - less than five years old, built by the son of the local farmer. we warned him not to buy it, that it'd have been jerry built, but he couldn't be persuaded.
he ended up trying to claim on insurance for some issues (windows rotted due to a leak IIRC) and the insurance company flat refused to pay out because it was built to fail.

there was some report recently where some government body looked at some derelict properties and determined that most were not economically viable for restoration. i.e. the purchase and restoration costs would be greater than the value of the restored property. will see if i can find a link.
Your ability to do a lot of the work yourself would obviously affect that equation

It will go for a lot more than 225,000 when offers start coming in. As I said before I've often seen this happen where the asking price bears no relation to the final price. Low prices bring in lots of interest and are a good marketing tactic.
I'd love to be wrong.

though they originally listed it at €355k; which was not clever, as people will search on the property sites within bands that are €50k wide; e.g. €300k to €350k etc.; so that asking placed it in a band above which the target audience would have searched for.

though they originally listed it at €355k; which was not clever, as people will search on the property sites within bands that are €50k wide; e.g. €300k to €350k etc.; so that asking placed it in a band above which the target audience would have searched for.
I think people expect homes to go for far more than the list price now. So asking for the 'real' price isn't a great idea I'd guess?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back